Going To Chicago

13»

Comments

• I had sultans about an hour ago. cant go wrong.
    smoke daddy on division is some good b-b-q, ribs and bibs in hyde park is good too. Harolds Chicken will give you the itis but its some good eats. Co-sign La Pasadita and Lazos. Check that spot feed on chicago ave. for the rotissiere homestyle chicken dinner. the fried okra is off the chain.

Green Mill (see swing gitan, deep blue organ trio, or kurt elling if you can) theres an art opening on friday at rotofugi on chicago and damen. I did a custom for it and theres free beer. heres the flyer:

anyone going to that pitchfork media thing in july? Os Mutantes is playing on the sunday.

• oh snap. forgot about bari. best sub ive ever had in my entire life.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Who said anything about the northside?

You did, when you mentioned some defunct ribshack on Lincoln. And as far as I know, that street doesn't run through the south or west sides, so...

• You got me. I still need to get to Leon's before I can really say anything.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    www.heckys.com

Hecky's of Chicago
    1234 N Halsted St.
    Chicago IL 60622

• puchitopuchito 374 Posts

[privateschoolkidalert]Nope... I was in the city for high school at Francis Parker. I was in Evanston for middle school at good old St. A's.[/privateschoolkidalert]

This can a mean a number of things.
    1. You are Jewish/ or a severe ass WASP.
    2. You have an overdeveloped sense of privledge.
    3. You are a trustafarian.
    4. You and your family have an exaggerated, and probably false, sense of importance.
    5. You have known a lot of people on cocaine.
    6. You either played tennis, la crosse, rugby, or were invovled in rowing.
    7. Either you or your family currently, or at some point in your life have driven a Saab, Volvo, BMW, Mercedes, VW and maybe if you were really ballsy, a Suburu.
    8. You are not the average person!

I JUST WOULD LIKE TO EMPHASIZE THIS IS ALL SPECULATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I do not know you, or know anything about you. Nor do I think that everyone who
    went to parker bears any of the above mentioned traits.
    Alot though alot do, from my own personal experience that is.

What year did you graduate parker?

• Hecky's is good, I used to live out near the original in Evanston. But in my opinion it still doesn't touch any of the spots I previously mentioned.

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    Chicago barbeque is an aberration.
    Ribs N Bibs? That's like one step down from a McRib.
    Heckys? Their idea of a BBQ beef sandwich is shredding some meat into a bowl of shitty sauce and pouring it on some Dolly Madison discount white bread.

Leon's and Lem's are decent, but would get laughed out of towns like KC, Memphis or Houston.

Like the Jandanator said, strictly Cozy Corner (shit, even Payne's in Memphis) and LC's for this BBQ bigot.
    I'd even take low-end KC BBQ like Gates over this crap they call BBQ in Chicago.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Chicago barbeque is an aberration.
    Heckys? Their idea of a BBQ beef sandwich is shredding some meat into a bowl of shitty sauce and pouring it on some Dolly Madison discount white bread.
    wtf

• every time one of these Chicago threads come out, we get about 3 new lurkers appearing from the woodworks. Who are you dudes?

My name is Kevin from Melrose Park, got a lil radio show called ProgGnosis on 88.9FM(Triton College Radio) Wednesday nights 9-11pm. Soulstrut kills much of my worktime so I'll admit I'm a lurker.

I dropped out of Triton College! I grew up in Maywood just south of the tracks. you didnt go to Proviso East, did you? I think Dcast is a former melrose resident.

Nope, went to West Leyden graduated a year after Mr Castillo. Actually got back in touch with him thanks to the strut. You still in the area?

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    4. You and your family have an exaggerated, and probably false, sense of importance.
    7. Either you or your family currently, or at some point in your life have driven a Saab, Volvo, BMW, Mercedes, VW and maybe if you were really ballsy, a Suburu.

1) 3rd generation atheist on both sides of my family
    2) Not in the slightest
    3) I've never once smoked pot
    4) Not my immediate family, but some relatives sure do (we don't get along well)
    5) Actually not until college
    6) Lacrosse
    7) Saab family
    8) You got that right!

I only went there for the first 2 years of high school, but I was in the class of 98. You're right, you don't know me so I won't take any of your speculation personally.

Oh yeah, I grew up smelling distance from Hecky's in Evanston and that place makes me sick! The Fridge loved it though.

• I'm not sure which of these were mentioned, but here's a few spots:

Somebody mentioned Mario's, on Taylor, for Italian lemonade. This is definitely something you should hit while you are out here. However, they must be vegetarian because they forgot to mention Al's Italian beef right across the street.Try the beef, dipped, with hot and sweet. It's greasy, but you should definitely hit Al's before some lemonade. It's a Chicago staple, and I have not come across a sandwich like this anywhere.

The dogs are good, but a large beef will set you back about 8 bucks. Plenty of other spots to get the same quality food for cheaper. Oh and I've never got a fri from that place less than a half an inch long.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Oh yeah, I grew up smelling distance from Hecky's in Evanston and that place makes me sick! The Fridge loved it though.

what more can i sayyyyy

• Rob_SevierRob_Sevier 150 Posts

Are you from St. Louis? That's the only city I'm aware of where it's acceptable to talk shit about where one went to high school 10+ years after the fact.

• SexyBNyceSexyBNyce 371 Posts
    every time one of these Chicago threads come out, we get about 3 new lurkers appearing from the woodworks. Who are you dudes?

My name is Kevin from Melrose Park, got a lil radio show called ProgGnosis on 88.9FM(Triton College Radio) Wednesday nights 9-11pm. Soulstrut kills much of my worktime so I'll admit I'm a lurker.

I dropped out of Triton College! I grew up in Maywood just south of the tracks. you didnt go to Proviso East, did you? I think Dcast is a former melrose resident.

Nope, went to West Leyden graduated a year after Mr Castillo. Actually got back in touch with him thanks to the strut. You still in the area?

nope, dipped when I was 18. mayhood dont have too much going on for a guy like B. moms is still out there though.

• puchitopuchito 374 Posts

Are you from St. Louis? That's the only city I'm aware of where it's acceptable to talk shit about where one went to high school 10+ years after the fact.

NUMB NUTZ:
    1. I am not talking shit.
    2. This is not your average "high school"
    3. I have friends who also went to school there.

NUMB NUTZ:
    1. I am not talking shit.
    2. This is not your average "high school"
    3. I have friends who also went to school there.

DICK FACE
    1. You are talking shit
    2. I know what it is.
    3. If you have friends who went there, then the criteria you presented most likely applies to you as well.

• every time one of these Chicago threads come out, we get about 3 new lurkers appearing from the woodworks. Who are you dudes?

nope, dipped when I was 18. mayhood dont have too much going on for a guy like B. moms is still out there though.

I don't blame you.

• Does anyone know if Philip Cohran still does a weekly in Chicago? I know he used to play every Friday night at some Ethiopian restaurant, but not sure if that is still the case.

Anyone?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    random-ish thread bump:

Anyone here familiar w things to do or see in Bronzeville? My southside knowledge is limited but I'm doing an interview with a dude around 47th and I was wondering if there's a good place to grab some food or a cup of coffee while i wait for the appointed time. I'm taking the #3 bus so anywhere down michigan/king dr would be helpful.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    random-ish thread bump:

Anyone here familiar w things to do or see in Bronzeville? My southside knowledge is limited but I'm doing an interview with a dude around 47th and I was wondering if there's a good place to grab some food or a cup of coffee while i wait for the appointed time. I'm taking the #3 bus so anywhere down michigan/king dr would be helpful.

I forget the name of the place, but there is a coffee/pastry shop on the corner of 47th and King. I think they have poetry readings on weeknights and weekends. If you are coming from the north side, you'd likely get off the #3 bus and cross the street at King going east (left).

If you want something greasier, I think there's a Harold's Fried Chicken farther up 47th...this time, turn right (west) from King Drive.

Does anyone know if Philip Cohran still does a weekly in Chicago? I know he used to play every Friday night at some Ethiopian restaurant, but not sure if that is still the case.

Anyone?

Ethiopian Diamond Restaurant
    6120 North Broadway Street, Chicago, IL 60660
    (773) 338-6100

I understand he raffles off a copy of On The Beach at every performance.