Brought my Numark portable into the office today..

hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
edited May 2005 in Record Collecting
and everyone's buggin'. I bought it from this site for $87, shipping included. I buy tons of records and, with a day job, often don't have time to really listen to them (albums especially). So I treated myself to the Numark portable so that I could listen in my cubicle. It's a really nice little unit and fits easily into my record bag. Comments today:"Whoa! You gonna bring in a mixer?" [Um, for one turntable? Guess I could cut....]"They still make records?""Holy shit...add a bar to your cube and you're set." Now listening to: new Platinum Pied Pipers LP. So far, so good.

Comments

• so do you set it up regular style or battle style in your cube?

• "Holy shit...add a bar to your cube and you're set."

haha

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    damn! I've been debating on whether i should get one for my work too. my biggest reservation is if my boss will be trippin over this...

has your boss said anything about it?

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    I do it all the time. Boss dont care, im in my own office. Everyone listens to cds, why cant i listen to vinyl. Plus everyone in the office will give you their records.

downside: THey are crappy records

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    Plus everyone in the office will give you their records.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    "Holy shit...add a bar to your cube and you're set."

haha

hahahahahahah

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    so do you set it up regular style or battle style in your cube?

REAL HEADZ WANNA KNOW

"Word is that new guy Ross -- the one with the record player -- got crabs, yo!"[/b]

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    has your boss said anything about it?

Yeah, he said, "This is like, the coolest cube now!"

And as Doc Beezy said, everyone listens to CDs in their headphones, so what's the diff?

i am an inspired man.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I do it all the time. Boss dont care, im in my own office. Everyone listens to cds, why cant i listen to vinyl. Plus everyone in the office will give you their records.

I've actually gotten a couple decent records from officemates. It's sort of like found money.

When I sit at airport terminals waiting for my flight to board and listen to records on my portable, people look at me like I've just asked them to drink a tall glass of phlegm.

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts
    i gots mine runnin through the computer speakers. you wanna mack the office ladies? there you go. you'll be the the baby daddy of urry fertile bitch up in thr. other dude try all this sly coffee pot chatter or "group" happy hours. dude you'll have chicks cruising you all day.

i gots mine runnin through the computer speakers. you wanna mack the office ladies? there you go. you'll be the the baby daddy of urry fertile bitch up in thr. other dude try all this sly coffee pot chatter or "group" happy hours. dude you'll have chicks cruising you all day.

This,right here, is a vurrrry true statement.

• sindiansindian 68 Posts
    I did the same thing with my Vestax portable. When dudes walk by, they always feel obligated to talk to me about Floyd. I also get the "No way. They still make records?"

Actually when I brought my portable in, my old boss got excited and told me that she used to be in a singing group similar to the partridge family, called Relation. SHe was on the Gong show, opened up for Liberace and was even on the cover of a TV guide.

SHe wasnt bullshittin either. She brought in the vinyl, which opened up with a break, brought in pics of her on the gong show, with liberace, their wacky tour bus, etc...

Music was so terrible and lame. Smiling suburban Detroit white kids singing prepubescent (sp?) love songs.

still though, i don't know what i'll do if someone asks me "can you scratch with that"? (while making lame hand gestures) errr!!

nigo (bape) please!

REAL HEADZ WANNA KNOW

"Word is that new guy Ross -- the one with the record player -- got crabs, yo!"[/b]

I've been chuckling for 20 minutes.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    "Whoa! You gonna bring in a mixer?" [Um, for one turntable? Guess I could cut....]

"They still make records?"

"Holy shit...add a bar to your cube and you're set."

lol i could totally picture people saying these things.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

REAL HEADZ WANNA KNOW

I've been chuckling for 20 minutes.

hahahahahahahaha.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I've been bringing my portable into the office for a few months now. People were so confused. I use it to listen to new arrivals so I can use the few hours I have to myself to practice and such. Good move for sure.

DJ Ferrari

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    I bring my gp3 to work pretty frequently but I don't think the boss man likes it too well. He dosen't say anything though. The last bike shop I worked at had two record players (no mixer) and its own "stock" of some pretty badass records, much better situation there. The boss there didn't like when I brought in 45's, too much dancing, flipping records, not enough working.

• i gots mine runnin through the computer speakers. you wanna mack the office ladies? there you go. you'll be the the baby daddy of urry fertile bitch up in thr. other dude try all this sly coffee pot chatter or "group" happy hours. dude you'll have chicks cruising you all day.

Hah, when I first got mine, I had some friends over and had it out on the kitchen table playing some new records, and this girl I had just started dating walks in, takes one look at me cueing something up and proclaims "Ew, you're so pretentious!"[/b]

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts

Hah, when I first got mine, I had some friends over and had it out on the kitchen table playing some new records, and this girl I had just started dating walks in, takes one look at me cueing something up and proclaims "Ew, you're so pretentious!"[/b]

dump her

hahahaha
    what?

Currently listening to:

AND I just got some great news from my boss. If don't end up having to use my AK, this will be a good day.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    Currently listening to:

AND I just got some great news from my boss. If don't end up having to use my AK, this will be a good day.

ZEPH FLOOR WAX SAMPLE RAER/YOUNG PHONICS CRATE STAPLE

• pacmanpacman 1,113 Posts

AND I just got some great news from my boss.

Saved a bunch of money on car insur.............eh, screw it.

• NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts

cubicle battle =

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    What you need to get now is Tap Tempo so you can also BPM your records while at work. The hard part is coming up with an excuse for the syncopated space bar tapping going on at your desk.

DJ Ferrari

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    If don't end up having to use my AK, this will be a good day.

so that's what your coworker meant by "you're cube"

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    If don't end up having to use my AK, this will be a good day.

so that's what your coworker meant by "you're cube"