What do you poptarts think of this list?

faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
edited December 2015 in Music Talk
I thought this feature was surprisingly thoughtful and well-done--I assume it coincided with some kind of a broadcast this past week.

http://www.mtv.com/bands/h/hip_hop_week/2006/emcees/index.jhtml

10. LL Cool J

9. Eminem

8. Ice Cube

7. Big Daddy Kane

6. KRS-ONE

5. Nas

4. Rakim

3. Biggie

2. 2Pac

1. Jay-Z

Honorable Mentions: Andre 3000, Big Pun, Black Thought (snicker), Common, Ghostface, Lauryn Hill, Kool G. Rap, Scarface, Snoop

Comments

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Not bad. I think G rap deserves to be in the top 10 though. And Big L should at least be an honourable mention if Black Thought and Lauryn Hill are.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    my personal remix

1. rakim
    2. nas
    3. biggie
    4. krs one
    5. big daddy kane
    6. ice cube
    7. ll cool j
    8. jay z
    9. 2pac
    10. eminem

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    TI or Ludacris should be an honorable mention if Lauryn Hill is on that list.

LL is a legend, but i don't know if he was ever that dope as an MC, plus i thought he has ghostwriters?

Slick Rick should get some kinda award for having the most impact based off of one album (that sold).

• These "Best MC of All Time" lists are getting just as boring as all those "Greatest Guitarist of All Time" arguments that preceded it.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Not bad. I think G rap deserves to be in the top 10 though. And Big L should at least be an honourable mention if Black Thought and Lauryn Hill are.

Yeah, after almost three decades of recorded rap music, it's difficult to find much to argue about in any list of the ten greatest MCs--there are now just too many artists like Rakim, LL and Jay-Z that you would be remiss not to include (although I do think putting Eminem in there is absurd), so there really only begins to be room for argument when you expand the list to 20 or so. I mean, my instinct is to say that the real pioneering MCs like Kool Moe Dee, Grandmaster Caz and Melle Mel belong in any top ten, but then looking over that list, I'm not sure who besides Eminem I would strike.

I'm not sure how Black Thought always makes his way into these discussions--I don't know how anybody that's listened to much rap could be impressed with such a one dimensional artist. Common, too, who I don't think ever made the leap from very good to great, although at one time (when I was about 18) I was certain he would be a rapper that we would look back upon as being a giant.

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    Nice list. I'd give an honorable mention to Q Tip, Guru & The Biz, too.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    One artist on that list only made one good record. Nas
    Another one never made a good record. Eminem

That should factor them off of the list IMO.

TI or Ludacris should be an honorable mention if Lauryn Hill is on that list.

I don't understand that at all--it clearly comes out of a desire to include a female artist, but to me that discussion should begin and end with MC Lyte.

Going back and listening to that 2nd Fugees album--the album that her reputation as an MC springs from--she's really not impressive, and benefited greatly from rhyming alongside two of the worst dudes to ever pick up a mic.

But, man, LL--I don't know how you can listen to Radio and tell me that for a minute there he wasn't the greatest MC in the world.

By "record," you mean "album"?

We're talking about rap here, you rockist.

buggin'

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Guru? Really? He always sounded good over Primo's production but I never thought of him as a "Great" MC. Last time I saw Gangstarr live, he was so drunk it was difficult for him to get through the songs. He screwed up all the lyrics. Then he went through the crowd and wanted to fight everyone!

• But, man, LL--I don't know how you can listen to Radio and tell me that for a minute there he wasn't the greatest MC in the world.

For real, I've never heard anything about this ghostwriter stuff too, has this come up in more recent years?

I don't understand that at all--it clearly comes out of a desire to include a female artist, but to me that discussion should begin and end with MC Lyte.

Do you think Queen Latifa or Roxanne Shante could take consideration ahead of either Lauryn Hill or MC Lyte?

Guru? Really? He always sounded good over Primo's production but I never thought of him as a "Great" MC. Last time I saw Gangstarr live, he was so drunk it was difficult for him to get through the songs. He screwed up all the lyrics. Then he went throught the crowd and wanted to fight everyone!

This dude is an embarassment. I wish he would disappear and quite tarnishing Gangstarr's legacy.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

buggin'

Guru was a popular MC, and he still is. Well, maybe not that second part.

Also, I think a portion of Black Thought's success comes from his connection to a hip hop group that has always stood out in the collective mind of the media. OMG, they play their own instruments. If critics judged him solely on his own merits, I think it'd be a different story.

• Some of the albums they list as undeniable classics are laughable. Roc La Familia and not Vol. 3?? Taste of Chocolate?

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

But, man, LL--I don't know how you can listen to Radio and tell me that for a minute there he wasn't the greatest MC in the world.

until ten years later when he got badly by Canibus...and even Wyclef!

nobody could rap about the solar system like canibus. where is that dude?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

10. LL Cool J
    9. Grandmaster Caz> Eminem
    8. Ice Cube
    7. Big Daddy Kane
    6. KRS-ONE
    5. Kool Moe Dee>Nas
    4. Rakim
    3. Big L> Biggie
    2. Melle Mel > 2Pac
    1. Jay-Z

These lists are so suspect.

MTV =

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

nobody could rap about the solar system like canibus.

Guru was a popular MC, and he still is in Europe.

buggin'

The BIZ!!! GET THE HELL OUUTA HERE. KANE wrote his classics anyway.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

Yes. I'm a jazz snob.

I been listening to the (non-Illmatic/non-guest MC) Nasir Jones catalog lately. While It Was Written is decent, it's truly amazing how hard he fell off in terms of making albums on par with Illmatic.

I mean Illmatic is on par with Kind of Blue or A Love Supreme. But to think he had only one great album in him sort argues against greatestness.

At the same time, I realize albums are less important in rap. That's why this list sprang from the greatest albums list. Right? ok.

nobody could rap about the solar system like canibus. where is that dude?

In a private place indulging in silver body paint

For real, I never understood why anyone sweated this dude. Using big words is only impressive if you know what they mean, and he rather clearly didn't.

nobody could rap about the solar system like canibus.

KOOL KEITH pioneered this shit.

Guru? Really? He always sounded good over Primo's production but I never thought of him as a "Great" MC. Last time I saw Gangstarr live, he was so drunk it was difficult for him to get through the songs. He screwed up all the lyrics. Then he went throught the crowd and wanted to fight everyone!

He should have retired years ago, but when he was making good music with Primo, he was making good music. Would he have had known such success without Primo? I don't know. But he's the most recognizable mc that Primo worked with, he was the voice of Gangstarr & he appears on 3/4 albums that are widely considered classics.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I thought this feature was surprisingly thoughtful and well-done--I assume it coincided with some kind of a broadcast this past week.

http://www.mtv.com/bands/h/hip_hop_week/2006/emcees/index.jhtml

10. LL Cool J
    9. Eminem
    8. Ice Cube
    7. Big Daddy Kane
    6. KRS-ONE
    5. Nas
    4. Rakim
    3. Biggie
    2. 2Pac
    1. Jay-Z

Honorable Mentions: Andre 3000, Big Pun, Black Thought (snicker), Common, Ghostface, Lauryn Hill, Kool G. Rap, Scarface, Snoop

That whole honorable mention list feels mad diplomatic, an attempt at assuaging hurt asses from different cliques. Like, Black Thought and Common shouldn't be there. Period. If you insist on including a "conscious" rapper, there's a lot better choices, whether you're talking Chuck D, Boots, Posdnuos, etc.

Lauryn over MC Lyte? Only if you started to listened to hip-hop post 1996.

Big Pun? Big L maybe.

I have no problems with Ghost, G. Rap, Scarface and Snoop.

And where's E-40 at?

He should have retired years ago, but when he was making good music with Primo, he was making good music. Would he have had known such success without Primo? I don't know. But he's the most recognizable mc that Primo worked with, he was the voice of Gangstarr & he appears on 3/4 albums that are widely considered classics.

GURU is not top 10, simple and plain.

Yes. I'm a jazz snob.

I been listening to the (non-Illmatic/non-guest MC) Nasir Jones catalog lately. While It Was Written is decent, it's truly amazing how hard he fell off in terms of making albums on par with Illmatic.

I mean Illmatic is on par with Kind of Blue or A Love Supreme. But to think he had only one great album in him sort argues against greatestness.

At the same time, I realize albums are less important in rap. That's why this list sprang from the greatest albums list. Right? ok.

He has never had an album that didn't have a substantial amount of good material on it (except for that recent double-terd, Street's Disciple)... even Nastradamus, which most people regard as his low point was very strong lyrically and was just sabotaged by bad production.

Listen to this tape, where DHNY rehabilitates a lot of slept on verses by putting them over classic beats and tell me you don't agree:

He should have retired years ago, but when he was making good music with Primo, he was making good music. Would he have had known such success without Primo? I don't know.

I know! NO FUCKIN' WAY!!!!!!! LOL. Guru would be living in a car in Boston if it was not for Primo. Primo WAS Gangstarr.

GURU is not top 10, simple and plain.

Not top ten, honorable mention. If Black Though, Common, & Lauyrn Hill can get one, so should Q Tip, Guru & Biz.