WEEKEND FINDS, BATCHES (RR)

mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
edited May 2005 in Record Collecting
ghey weekend finds:I scored a huge box of rock for $200 or so, I will post crazy indie electronic titles tonite. Dizzy, I bought recs off the dood who sold you the moog!

Comments

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    crazy indie electronic titles tonite.

Hit me with a list. I will take avant-garde electronic nonsense and turn it into something you want. Magic-like.

• 4 wierd 45s after a long morning of garage sales.

Back Street-Empty Patterns (renfro is the label, Eddi Nagatoshi?, crazy psych w/ break, wierd any info?)
    Ventures-pedal pusher/swingin creeper (dolton)
    Surprise Package-free up I & II (LHI)
    Yusef Lateef-Bishop School

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    went to the Wayne show and bought 40-50 fairly common titles. Nice copies of Aretha, Sabbath, Fred Wesley, The Cyrkle, etc.

NJ stand up

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Love that Ralfi. I think it has the pressing flaw though... check songs 2-5 on the b-side. I think they are the same as 1-4 on the a-side, or something like that

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    damn you drewn. how much you drop on that Ike Turner?

all i got today was Mystic Moods-awakening and Ohio Players-Pleasure.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I found a warped copy of that Lyman Woordard Organization record for a buck.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    it was a re-issue.

Love that Ralfi. I think it has the pressing flaw though... check songs 2-5 on the b-side. I think they are the same as 1-4 on the a-side, or something like that

Preciesly. But, the songs are sooo good that it's well worth it. I just consider it to be an EP.

damn you drewn. how much you drop on that Ike Turner?

I got the Ike for $15, the opening track has an audible tick. Otherwise it's really clean.

Preciesly. But, the songs are sooo good that it's well worth it. I just consider it to be an EP.

Yeah, absolutely. Some of Ralfi is better than none!

I have both versions. Kinda stupid, I know...

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I found an almost-unplayed copy of BILL COSBY TALKS TO KIDS ABOUT DRUGS and an okay copy of the Howard Hanger Trio album (with the ILLMATIC-looking cover) in a local .25 bin. Went inside to purchase, and as if to mock Coselmed's recently-documented problems in finding a certain Bill Withers record, the cashier said "oh hey, I was going to get this myself, but you should probably have it instead" and pulled a copy of STILL BILL from behind the counter and sold it to me for $3. Then he gave me a discount on the whole stack of 7 or so albums I was getting. Pretty good deal considering that 3 years ago, TSL was selling that Cosby album for 100 times what I just paid.

I got other stuff too, but I thought I'd post a really short weekend finds list for a change.

Dude said the other jams on the other pressing are in Spanish, is that right?

Worth seeking, or Be Thankful For What I Got?

Dude said the other jams on the other pressing are Spanish, is that right?

Worth seeking, or Be Thankful For What I Got?

Nah, they're in the same vein... Ralfi can do no wrong!

I wouldn't worry about it and find his other albums. His S/T (or "star is born", called both things) is better IMO. I was lucky to have someone look out for a copy without the error, and got it on the cheap.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Andrew White- "fonk update" courtesy of rubbishvisual, good lookin out man.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Courtesy of DJCoolhands, my Austin tourguide

Stone Alliance
    Yusef Lateef s/t on Cadet
    Waiting for Little Milton-Stax
    Les Span-Gemini-Jazzland
    Sonny Rollins-Vol 1-Blue Note(80s press like new)
    Oscar Pettiford -My Little cello-Debut/Fantasy(sealed)
    Eleventh Hour-Hollywood Hot-20th Century
    Kool and the Gang-Music is the Message-De-Lite
    Equals Greatest Hits-President (Pop Club Series)
    McDonald and Giles
    Gram Parsons-GP
    Bo Diddley-have Guitar Will Travel-Cadet OG
    Stones live bootleg from Exile/Cocksucker Blues era
    Gwendolyn Brooks Reading Her Poetry(with an Introduction by Don Lee)-Caedmon
    Rock with Bill Haley and His Comets-Trans World
    Monks-Black Monk Time(no, not OG, but looks like a 90s Euro boot-still has an "Intoxica" UK store sticker on it--just happy to find a copy on vinyl that sounds good!)

Then a bunch of 70s One Sheet movie posters-It was like digging thru a box from my town's theatre growing up in the 70s...too bad no "dawn of the Dead"!

The Gumball Rally
    The Night of the Following Day
    Late Great Planet Earth
    Three in the Attic
    The Fish That Saved Pittsburgh

and the best one:

I really wanna thank Coolhands for being so generous with his time and spots, and for putting up with my crazy Monks story and the rest. Come up to DC, D**e...can't promise records(actually, yes, I can) but I can promise good soul food for you!

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    one record in the mail:

jbs doing it to death (double)

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts

Wow, that is really boss...one of my all-time favorite movies too.

Did you catch any good food while in Austin?

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts
    Klaus Wunderlich - the one with Summertime

just picked that up myself a few weeks ago

never gets old

• catchdubscatchdubs 492 Posts
    this was actually a weekend 50 cent-bin pickup from a few weeks back, i kept forgetting to transfer the image from my phone:

• 4 wierd 45s after a long morning of garage sales.

Back Street-Empty Patterns (renfro is the label, Eddi Nagatoshi?, crazy psych w/ break, wierd any info?)
    Ventures-pedal pusher/swingin creeper (dolton)
    Surprise Package-free up I & II (LHI)
    Yusef Lateef-Bishop School

adding Booker T. and the M.G.'s-Melting Pot LP
    and Berlin-Pleasure Victim LP

• threetwosixthreetwosix 270 Posts
    $1 LP's

Vicounts on madison
    Rusty Bryant - 'America's Greatest Jazz'
    Gonzalo Ruig - 'In a Cuban Garden'
    Dave Pell Octet - 'Jazz & Romantic Places'
    Jack Bruce lp's - 'Tricks' "Tailor" 'Storm'

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    one record in the mail:
    Sharon Jones LP (the new one from the Daptone site)

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Missed an OG copy of Triste & Janero for $1 somehow, it was too early in the morning. Cotdamn!!!! (loud kick against self)

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    mostly .50 finds:

]b]Marvin Gaye[/b] "Live at the London Paladium" (Tamla)

Ohio Players[/b] "ouch" (Boardwalk) - modern soul from '81...all y'all hater bitches coul kiss my ass

Chakachas[/b] Jungle Fever" (polydor) - unplayed still in shrink

The Mustang[/b] "Organ Freakout" (Sommerset) - late 60's psych/soul exploito LP

Sam The Sham & The Pharahs[/b] "2nd album" (MGM)

Twentynine[/b] Best Of Friends" (Elektra) - y'all angry folks can still (continually) kiss my ass

The Association[/b] "Goodbye Columbus OST" (Warner Brothers)

Gavin Bryars[/b] The Sinking of the Titanic" (Obscure)

Jerry Butler[/b] "Power Of Love" (Mercury)

Leroy Hutson[/b] "S/T" (Curtom) - double

First Love[/b] "Love at First Sight" (CIS) - do not release your kissable grip from my ass. big thanks to the_mack for trading this to me.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Went digging with Mr. Delmont, who just came back from South Africa via Amsterdam with mucho fuego.

Picked up:

The Counts - Love Sign
    Roy Wood - Mustard
    Lighthouse - One Fine Morning
    Eddie Kendricks - People... Hold On
    B-Legit - Destiny b/w Keep it P.I.
    Old Dirty Bastard - Shimmy Shimmy Ya
    David Lee - S/T (14-year-old organ prodigy)

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
    Missed an OG copy of Triste & Janero for $1 somehow, it was too early in the morning. Cotdamn!!!! (loud kick against self)

I feel you that would suck, if I was in your shoes!!! I wish I found that, then agian maybe I was the one

Nah.... Not me....

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Took a road trip upstate to this spot that has piles and piles of vinyl, but lots and lots of junk, and everything is always at least 25 percent more than you want to pay...still, got some goodies:

One really good find that I can't even find a jpeg for is:

Eddie Kendricks - All By Myself - Tamla 1971[/b]

and also got

Harvey Mandel - Games People Play - Philips[/b]

and a couple of 45's:

Wendy & Bonnie - What's Really Happening - Skye

The American Breed - Short Skirts - Atca[/b]

...the little one in the middle is Kannibal Komix, some crazed proto-glam from Germany (and one Italian) on the Colossus label, the gatefold cover is a naked chick in a cape on a horse, holding a human skull in front of her, um, mid-section...

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    1 euro finds and trades from the past week:

And maybe today will bring a little sunshine too???

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Wow, that is really boss...one of my all-time favorite movies too.

Did you catch any good food while in Austin?

Yeah, on your recommendation I hit Ruby's BBQ after Antone's....very good!
    And Friday eve we hit Guero's, since I was in the mood for Mexican, and that was also great. Austin is really a place I would like to spend a lot more time, as a day or so just is not enough to get even one thing done, let alone see the sights and get a feel for the place.

But thanks to everyone who made recommendations and suggestions, thanks to y'all and Coolhands I had a great time in too short a span!

• slavinslavin 577 Posts

BLACK FAIRY

$6 well spent for those three records