TIMMYDIGALOTS

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited December 2015 in Record Collecting
I was out of the record fair game for a good 6 months and just recently attended the Amish one. It seems like the Timmydigalot ratio has gone up. These little hip hop dudes who dig crazy furiously with their Vestaxes and feel inclined to recommend New Birth LPs to me 'cause it has a Junior Mafia sample on it. Actually this one kid was a thorn in my side. Hogging the Soul / Funk bins and examining record after record while I twiddle my thumbs. Next thing you know he will be on this site acting like a pro dealer offering overgraded grails for top notch (see Kyle Humphries). Should we unite against these people or embrace?Can I get a Tmmydigalot graemlin?

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

TIMMY!!!!!!!!!

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Old heads need to help bring the young'uns up on the game. It's our legacy at stake. I'm actually glad to see a lil mini young dude (esp. dudette) interested in New Birth or whatever.

Have patience RAJ, you were there.

And I think we generally check lilness pretty hard up in this bitch.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    These are the dudes you need to sell your dubs and triples of common joints to... clean up like Marco did the past couple wknds (and like I should've but I didn't have my shit together)

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Old heads need to help bring the young'uns up on the game. It's our legacy at stake. I'm actually glad to see a lil mini young dude (esp. dudette) interested in New Birth or whatever.

Have patience RAJ, you were there.

And I think we generally check lilness pretty hard up in this bitch.

I'm getting old.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    you are a hateful, spiteful man. let dudes geek over new birth samples. what's it to you?

ok, and now with that out of the way, there's a dude who works at a local half price by the name of, oh something close to Timothy B Digginalot. Rocks the XXL 1/2 Price uniform and cocks his hat to the side. I catch him eyeing the records I pull and even on one occasion he told Wilsoneck that he "was lucky" to find a certain record there be he (Tim) usually "picks up all that kinda stuff before it even hits the racks."

which new birth has a Jr Mafia Sample? I need to put that info in my palm pilot.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Just don't start collecting classical or 78s. That's the point of no return.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Next thing you know he will be on this site acting like a pro dealer offering overgraded grails for top notch (see Kyle Humphries).

They must get BAN.

• These little hip hop dudes who dig crazy furiously with their Vestaxes and feel inclined to recommend New Birth LPs to me 'cause it has a Junior Mafia sample on it.

I bet this pretty accurately describes around 90% of soulstrutters at some stage in the last 5-10 years.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Yeah man for real the timmys of the world are our future, and I know many many of us were there at one point.

The only time I get real aggy about it is when I'm out at a show, or a flea or whatever and a dude gets in the way. Grown man business scrapper! Or the dudes who pull out anything that looks remotely interesting and I have to wait for them to play it, ask their homie if it's "worth anything", then put it back after they realize they can't buy everything with the $26 they have in their pocket...

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Maybe I am officially a "veteran" now. But I'm noticing more and more of these types of people. It used to be they arrived at the shows right when I was leaving. but now after studying Soulman's "World of Beats" web site, they get there at the crack of dawn and I have to rub elbows with them. They examine Creative Source LPs as I'm trying get me uber-speed dig on. I might need to retire soon.

Haha that is true, dudes show up early now! And there's a lot of new jacks that are all of a sudden trying to source records...

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Haha that is true, dudes show up early now! And there's a lot of new jacks that are all of a sudden trying to source records...

Don't forget the old jacks are still doing it...

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    Can I get a Timothy B Digginalot graemlin?

Vestaxes

XXL 1/2 Price uniform and cocks his hat to the side

plaese. [color:white](for my avatar)[/color]

• Just don't start collecting classical or 78s. That's the point of no return.

HEY!

Oh yeah, it is hard work and the dudes that do it consistently have my admiration (and my money!).

I just find it odd when you catch a guy who's only been collecting for a couple years sourcing artists and shit. If I had that much time on my hands then I would think sourcing collections would be a better look, more exposure to a wide variety of music, but then again dudes like the status of tracking an artist, they read wax poetics and are like "I can be Egon"

• they read wax poetics and are like "I can be Egon"

BINGO....

• Maybe I am officially a "veteran" now. But I'm noticing more and more of these types of people. It used to be they arrived at the shows right when I was leaving. but now after studying Soulman's "World of Beats" web site, they get there at the crack of dawn and I have to rub elbows with them. They examine Creative Source LPs as I'm trying get me uber-speed dig on. I might need to retire soon.

I don't pretend to know that much, but I know a little here and there. If a kid comes up to me and talks about basic stuff, it usually makes me feel accomplished, not bad. I know I was there (and in many ways I still am today). Of course I get annoyed if some newby grabs a record right in front of me that I've been searching for for years, but that's the game. The one thing that really bugs me out is if someone, acting like they're some sort of icon because of their experience in the trenches, flaunts a giant ego and claims they already know all about the funk thing or jazz thing or hip hop thing or whatever. I want to laugh and simoultaneously explain that no one will EVER be able to make statements or inuendos such as that, and digging will always be a learning experience. Don't take the rep thing too seriously. This kid or adult is not above anyone else. And ultimately, status comes second to the need to understand surroundings/culture and the need to find yourself. That requires respect and an open mind.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Of course I get annoyed if some newby grabs a record right in front of me that I've been searching for for years, but that's the game.

- spidey

Oh yeah, it is hard work and the dudes that do it consistently have my admiration (and my money!).

I just find it odd when you catch a guy who's only been collecting for a couple years sourcing artists and shit. If I had that much time on my hands then I would think sourcing collections would be a better look, more exposure to a wide variety of music, but then again dudes like the status of tracking an artist, they read wax poetics and are like "I can be Egon"

True... I mean this has been going on for a while. I've got no problem with a dealer I know to be reliable and fair brokering copies of albums. It's more the clueless ones.

I'm surprised there are still artists who haven't had the pleasure of a sweaty-palmed 8PM after-dinner call by a doud trying to pick up all remaining sealed copies for five dollah: "uh.... so... I'm really interested in, uhm, this ONE record of yours.... what? no, I haven't heard of that one. You say you still play? really? fascinating. So back to that one record..."

Actually most of the people I've traded larger things with have been those less likely to get totally geeked because they saw it on a giles or josh playlist.
    Those douds make me nervous. and not necessarily because they recommend black heat to me.

they recommend black heat to me.

what are you trying to say??

I'm surprised there are still artists who haven't had the pleasure of a sweaty-palmed 8PM after-dinner call by a doud trying to pick up all remaining sealed copies for five dollah: "uh.... so... I'm really interested in, uhm, this ONE record of yours.... what? no, I haven't heard of that one. You say you still play? really? fascinating. So back to that one record..."

"I actually have five close friends who'd also like copies..."

"...and they actually have five friends each as well who need one... so... do you have a calculator?"

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    The internet has killed off the art of the old school digger.

And change can be frightening to the old guard.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Aside from selling, I never rub elbows with these younger record dudes "in the field". Maybe it's just where or when I dig, but I never encounter 'em. I only ever used to see them at record shows, and I haven't been to one to dig in at least a year. All of my energy for digging pet peeves is reserved for OLD record dudes (the antique dealers, the "you got any Beatles?" guys, the hoverers, the stingy price-hagglers, etc).

Hey Greg, do you think that the kids are better served by the internet than the old trial and error, hands dirty method?

I know the internet is great for me, I learn tons that way - but nothing beats getting out there "in the trenches"...

• I'm surprised there are still artists who haven't had the pleasure of a sweaty-palmed 8PM after-dinner call by a doud trying to pick up all remaining sealed copies for five dollah: "uh.... so... I'm really interested in, uhm, this ONE record of yours.... what? no, I haven't heard of that one. You say you still play? really? fascinating. So back to that one record..."

"...and they actually have five friends each as well who need one... so... do you have a calculator?"

Sourcing can have it's own thread. Hell, it could have it's own forum.
    The Pump and Dump.
    The Slow Leak.
    The Secret Directories Of Unlisted People Who Don't Want To Be Found

Sadly the entire Strutter/collectro world pretty much depends on it at this point. New discoveries, unearthed piles, artists' backstock. A few dudes are basically supplying private press rares to the specialty shops all across the world. If the world only knew...

Hey Greg, do you think that the kids are better served by the internet than the old trial and error, hands dirty method?

I know the internet is great for me, I learn tons that way - but nothing beats getting out there "in the trenches"...

Exhibit 1

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

The Internet opened a whole new world for this old ass digger. In the past all I'd dig for was rock/psych/folk as that's all I really had cultivated customers for.......the Internet just blew things wide open and now I pick up tons of stuff I would have left behind in the past.

Sure the old Beatles/Nazz/Doo-Wop guys who are computerphobic have been left in the dust....but for others the Internet has been a real benefit.

Sadly the entire Strutter/collectro world pretty much depends on it at this point. New discoveries, unearthed piles, artists' backstock. A few dudes are basically supplying private press rares to the specialty shops all across the world. If the world only knew...

Interesting take... Don't know about other shops but personally I'm verrrrrry wary of quantity dumps. And for every success out there is another complete waste of money.

Customers are jaded too - there's always the question of "how many copies are out there?"

• I'm surprised there are still artists who haven't had the pleasure of a sweaty-palmed 8PM after-dinner call by a doud trying to pick up all remaining sealed copies for five dollah: "uh.... so... I'm really interested in, uhm, this ONE record of yours.... what? no, I haven't heard of that one. You say you still play? really? fascinating. So back to that one record..."

Sourcing can have it's own thread. Hell, it could have it's own forum.
    The Pump and Dump.
    The Slow Leak.
    The Secret Directories Of Unlisted People Who Don't Want To Be Found

Soooo many amazing unreleased recordings out there......too few have been picked up and released. Chances are, the artist will die/move/disappear sometime in the next 10 years. It's depressing to think that something which meant so much to them, might as well have never existed. I'm just glad there are people out there trying their best to change that. Word um up