Drum Sample Question

progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
I've got a question about a DJ Shadow track...should I even bother??

Comments

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Ask it.

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts
    Answer: Magic

• progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts
    I feel like a bit of a tool asking 'cause it's kinda vague.I'm not even sure of the name of the track.

It's an instrumental remix.The beginning(and most of the track) has that repetitive 16th note synth part from "The Killing Fields" movie. The drums are loud,powerful and syncopated. I think the track is a remix of "March of Death" but I could wrong.I simply forget the title. Anyway the drums are incredible and sound very familiar. The drums sound like this drummer named Terry Bozzio who has a very uniqe sound. Just curious...be nice.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    hmm....be a little more specific, is there any way you could figure out the name of the track? i might know this one...

• I think Shadow sampled the drums from Frank Zappa's Apostrophe and I'm pretty sure that's Terry Bozzio.

I think Shadow sampled the drums from Frank Zappa's Apostrophe and I'm pretty sure that's Terry Bozzio.

Bozzio didn't play on Apostrophe. By the way,the track I'm referring to is not March of Death.Honestly the only thing I recognize is the synth part from the Killing Fields movie.It may have been an mp3 only re-mix of something.Could I be any more vague?? It also has like notes and drums and stuff.

• Can you fix a mp3 then?

Can you fix a mp3 then?

I'll need some guidance.I've got it on a cd-r.How do I upload it? I'm on a PC w/windows 98 Can I do a YouSendIt thing?

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    It also has like notes and drums and stuff.

OHHH!!!

Unknown DJ Shadow track

Here it is,finally. Plaese to help Id these drums.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    hmmm never heard this before. The drum programing gets real nice towards the 3 minute mark.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    never heard it either. neat stuff. are we sure this is shadow?

• aegisaegis 261 Posts

I have this song as an mp3 labeled as an instrumental shadow did for Zach de la Rocha. Sorry that this contributes nothing to the original question.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    hahaha!

you said

Zach de la Rocha

I have this song as an mp3 labeled as an instrumental shadow did for Zach de la Rocha. Sorry that this contributes nothing to the original question.

Yeah,that's what this,at least that's what is was referred to when I dloaded it.

So,the drums are programmed?Are they chopped samples? Anyway,I transcribed the drum part and learned it so I could play it on a kit.The double time part is a bitch to play!

Paging , learn this drum part or you're soft.

• chrischris 287 Posts
    the drums that come in around the 3:00 minute mark are from the quasar "man coda" lp.
    australian prog.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    haha. Oh shit! The infamous "I used that record too son" track.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    the drums that come in around the 3:00 minute mark are from the quasar "man coda" lp.
    australian prog.

and beat ablak are the drums just before that

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    the track was kind of EH to me tho, sounds like a 30 minute job. that pitched guitar made me throw up a little in my mouth.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    throw up a little in my mouth.

I thought this phrase was part of my own local slang experience... 'cept we say vomit

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    throw up a little in my mouth.

I thought this phrase was part of my own local slang experience... 'cept we say vomit

My brother and I drop this one too.
    Plaese to view Michelle Taylor in Dodgeball, (ironically deflecting her real life husband's characters advances)

I just threw up a little in my mouth

I'm pretty sure he's right with the quasar "man coda", i'll see if i can find it tonight and post a soundclip.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    australian prog.

Dave'sRecords from the Strut has a comparitively
    cheap copy of this LP buy-it-now in his EBAY STORE
    right now, if you want those drums (nocommision)

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    australian prog.

Dave'sRecords from the Strut has a comparitively
    cheap copy of this LP buy-it-now in his EBAY STORE
    right now, if you want those drums (nocommision)

and if that fails... hit me up;

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    For a record that had only 500 pressed, there seem
    to be that many of them floating through Soul Strut!

For real, I 've got a catalog where dude has many multiples of both Quasar lp's.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts

For real, I 've got a catalog where dude has many multiples of both Quasar lp's.

yeah find it kinda hard to believe theres just 500 pressed... ive seen it on recordfairs over here in sweden, i think from the same seller on all oocations tho.. priced at 20$, but i always end up finding other interesting stuff to buy instead.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

There's 500 pressed. 100% confirmed from the horses mouth...

The record was originally pressed on the AIJA label out here in Australia, a small label -- the owner of the label didn't like the sound of the record after it was pressed, so he halted it and it wasn't distributed officially (just sold out the hand). 350 of the 500 copies ended up in the basement... come 15 odd years later, a local record dealer came across all those copies and scooped them up. He took about 200 copies to Europe and funded his trip with them back in the mid or late 90s. Out of the other 150 -- I snapped up about 120 of them, which explains the abundance of this record around these parts/diggers hands/Strutters/eBay/trades/stores in Australia/overseas, etc. Most copies up for sale in these parts came from me. In fact, DJ Shadows copy I sold him while he was on tour... Sketch used the drums on his 7" too...

You are sure to still find copies in Europe which is where most of them ended up. You hardly see copies out here in Australia at all, cuz it wasn't distributed. Same goes with their first album, which is harder to find because that one was distributed and less copies were found in the basement (I think about 100 or so), and out of those most of them ended up in Europe, so you hardly see MINT copies of NEBULAR TRAJECTORY, but I got about 20 or so.

Hope this clears it up.

peace.

• this track used to be linked at soulsides.com as "DJ Shadow - Instrumental 3"

http://web.archive.org/web/20050220015402/http://www.solesides.com/

the ID3 info says "Zach De La Rocha" as the album name