Weekend Finds

mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
edited May 2005 in Record Collecting
on the cheap tip, creepin' while ya sleepin':

+

Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour LP
Agent Orange - Bitchin' Summer 12"
ABC - Iesha 12" (sup Undertheradar, Motown Promo, jeah!)

DJ NevilleC was also spotted scooping up breakz, 2 Ainsley Dunbar LPs, and foreign LPs for cheap from right under my nose.

New digging pet peeve: Advertised garage sales that don't exist/people who flake and sleep in instead of selling. GRRRRR.

Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Beatles - Magical Mystery LP

Mono or stereo? Label variation? With or without booklet?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Capitol, SMAL 2835
    Red Label with booklet, part of which is detached but in good shape.

I think I have given away / sold more Beatles LPs for cheap than any other type of records. Those and 2nd Chapter of Acts w/ Footnotes, haha.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Capitol, SMAL 2835
    Red Label with booklet, part of which is detached but in good shape.

I think I have given away / sold more Beatles LPs for cheap than any other type of records. Those and 2nd Chapter of Acts w/ Footnotes, haha.

Given away? Shame shame.

Give to me first, gunfunnit

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    damn son, you stay comin up. whats the healer lp. looks cool!
    these are the only noteworthy things from the past 2 days. Conti Family lp is for trade

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Gary Bartz Quintet- libra (milestone)
    Clifford Coulter- do it now (impulse)

upgraded a lunchbox too, Goober and the ghost chasers/ Inch high private eye

damn son, you stay comin up. whats the healer lp. looks cool!

Sankofa - Healer
    1988 featuring Nathan Davis and some African players. Straight outta Canada, it's a mixture of high life, jazz, etc. Not as dope as it looks.

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts

ABC - Iesha 12" (sup Undertheradar, Motown Promo, jeah!)

Way to come up!

• hans_lucashans_lucas 159 Posts
    Finally graduated to status.

Found these for less than 4 bucks (Canadian):

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts

Mack...what's up with the Fall Motif??? sheets when spring and even summer are upon us. What gives?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    haven't been doing much digging this spring, but in preparation i've spent the past few days trading chunks of my collection off at various local spots for a couple items. this morning i even dragged my ass out to a flea for the first time in a long time and i got to meet nightcrawler, who's "the dude", so to speak.

respect the logo:

anybody know how long they've been making the huje records? i pick em up when they're cheap but i mostly see late 70s early 80s ones. i'd be curious to hear some sixties or early 70s joints.

do any of you moder soul dudes want that monty guy record? i mostly picked it up because i had credit to burn

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
    Good come up but I was their also and picked up another Lyn I got the sealed copy and left that for others... Also found few Annette Peacock LP's, Gypsy, Bedlam, Cat, Rationals, Bubblegum Machine. Good job keep up, we almost ran into each other again...

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Hows that Exile One record? Looks

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

ummm looking closer at this jpeg I saw the "from the Abet LP, 'The Magnetic North' " on the label...WHAT[/b] LP "The Magnetic North???" Has anyone ever seen this? Freddie North on Abet is my shit, but I have only ever found a couple of 45's, and never even heard of this LP!!

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

Mack...what's up with the Fall Motif??? sheets when spring and even summer are upon us. What gives?
    dog, do you buy your sheets from the goodwill? didnt think so. you dont exactly have an option at the goodwill

also just found

Cymande-Second Time Round(finally!)

• NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts
    Good come up but I was their also and picked up another Lyn I got the sealed copy and left that for others... Also found few Annette Peacock LP's, Gypsy, Bedlam, Cat, Rationals, Bubblegum Machine. Good job keep up, we almost ran into each other again...

Are you saying you were at the flea we were at? I'm confused.

Found a few things for myself this morning, and as Noz mentioned, we ran into each other. It's raer to meet good people in the field but this was such an occasion, he's a good guy.

FINDS:

LPs

1971 high school band record w/jazz
    1972 National High school band competition record
    William DeVaughn - Be thankful for what you got
    Image - Coming Home (local DC private press label)
    Shaft in Africa
    Chico Hamilton - el Exigente
    Masekela - I am not afraid

45s

Melvin Van Peebles - Sweetbacks theme/hoppin' John
    Chylds - Psychedelic Soul/deep inside

12"s

Rick Webb - fork in the road/lovin' you aint gonna be easy on RPM (local DC private press label, modern soul)

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Noz, you are the only other guy who I have seen with that Gregory Charles Royal LP. I really dig most of that.

As for Monty Black, I think you may have run into an old copy I traded.

I found a nice Jerry Reed LP, and some good classical flute sonatas, and a book by H Rap Brown called "Die, N****r, Die!" that looks interesting. Oh, I also got a James Taylor Best Of LP for this wedding I am doing next month. Sigh.

This record seemed pretty heavy, anyone have info?

Good come up but I was their also and picked up another Lyn I got the sealed copy and left that for others... Also found few Annette Peacock LP's, Gypsy, Bedlam, Cat, Rationals, Bubblegum Machine. Good job keep up, we almost ran into each other again...;)

Um, right, that means you were there at 5am when the dude hadn't even showed up yet?
    Post up your pix and floss, I don't even own an Annette Peacock.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

"funky crookie" is the obvious standout banger. google tells me it was comped on this club africa comp, you can listen to it here http://www.tigersushi.com/site/frameset.jsp?page=Rcd.jsp&RcdId=1581

a G copy was on popsike at $66, mine's in slightly better condition than that.

• Options
    I sold a vg++ copy abouot 3-4 years ago for $200+. Their only worthy lp IMO.

K in Canada.

• Options
    I think we need a flashing "wanker alert" much like T****flashing envelope next to his name.

K.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

george russell? any info? weird find for suburbia.

JK and Co. was a pleasant find for $8, I must say.

• Options
    My weekend find:

A sunburn.

• A sunburn.

If you didn't find anything, someone else has to be DUE.

• hans_lucashans_lucas 159 Posts
    A sunburn.

If you didn't find anything, someone else has to be DUE.

Peep my post (if it's fucking working now). There is a little soufriere-type item I got for 30 cents (Canadian). Burning Spear Studio 1 OG.

• Options
    Deep LP, nice find....as were those items you traded. West end is the sit for finding items like that on the cheap. Scarborough ain't bad, either.

Kevin.

• Options
    Ther you go, I found something. Satisfied.

Those LP's are somehwat common except for the Lennie. Damn Aleit costing me money! To my knowledge there's never been a repressing of this until the on that happened a coupled years ago (which give off it's repressness due to differing text on the front cover). Black and white studio 1 label with that thick middle/center wedge similar to NEw york pressed 70's reggae (and othe discop steez such as Peter Brown and Winley shit).

K.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

...the Marcia Griffiths is a JA original, pretty scratchy (surprise), but a beautiful record...

...and a whole bunch of other shit, including:

Delfonics - Sound of Sexy Soul - Philly Groove
    Billy Eckstine - Senior Soul - Enterprise
    Gale Garnett - Sings About Flying & Rainbows & Love & Other Groovy Things
    Cash McCall - Omega Man - Paula (reissue)
    Shalamar - Second Time Around 12" - Solar
    Blackbyrds - S/T - Fantasy
    Gilberto Gil - Personalidade - Phillips[/b]

• Options
    I'd wouldn't bet on that. Actually, I would - against you. That LP has pressed like a motherfucker and that's one of them.

HEy Soul Jazz, how 'bout a Studio1 comp of her material? A couple soul covers (You're No Good, ) boom ska soul via "Call on Me", couple well knowns "Tell Me..", "Mark My Word...and Viola!

I met her in Toronto one time and, I must say, I've have yet to be overwhelmed with majestic beauty quite that way again.

K.

"funky crookie" is the obvious standout banger. google tells me it was comped on this club africa comp, you can listen to it here http://www.tigersushi.com/site/frameset.jsp?page=Rcd.jsp&RcdId=1581

a G copy was on popsike at $66, mine's in slightly better condition than that.

sorry bout that, got lazy and forgot to ask you to hear it earlier. It really is a hot track man, good come ups.