Curtis Mayfield Productions

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited January 2006 in Strut Central
Searching for a definitive list of his shit. Nothing Curtom related cause I know all that, but maybe other shit outside of it. Shit like the Patti Jo "Make Me Believe In You" on Wand which I guess was another Chicago imprint.

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    Claudine ost
    staple singers
    sparkle ost

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Claudine ost

staple singers

sparkle ost

Yeah I know all them, thanks.

Looking for kind of more obscure joints that might have slipped though the cracks. Also like songwriting credits as well.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    Claudine ost
    staple singers
    sparkle ost

Looking for kind of more obscure joints that might have slipped though the cracks. Also like songwriting credits as well.

doy!

my B.

• Options
    Cos, you got this?

Not CUrtis-related but might as well be.

K in Canada.

• chrischris 287 Posts
    a couple favorite curtis-involved obscurities:

-new world - "we're gonna make it"/"help the man" (polydor 1972)

-the newday - "just another reason"/"wait a minute" (on top 1969) (also released as the passions on tower)

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    You probably know the Fascinations 45's on his Mayfield label,
    but I know the Fascinations CD has some other stuff from
    that label that is more obscure...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Claudine ost
    staple singers
    sparkle ost

Please list the ones you know. That way we can make the definitive list you want.

• thats a big ass can of worms. one of the most prolific in history.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    he produced "Ain't Gonna Rest (Till I Get You)", by the 5 Stairsteps, which is my jam...

• Options
    Him and Carl Davis also produced a Jamaican Ska LP the name of which I can't remember right now.

Give me time....K>

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    he produced "Ain't Gonna Rest (Till I Get You)", by the 5 Stairsteps, which is my jam...

He was quite heavily involved with the Steps from the gitgo. Their first few singles (and album) came out on his Windy C label, and a couple years later they had a solitary LP (Love's Happening) on Curtom.

Searching for a definitive list of his shit. Nothing Curtom related cause I know all that, but maybe other shit outside of it. Shit like the Patti Jo "Make Me Believe In You" on Wand which I guess was another Chicago imprint.

It wasn't - Wand was based in New York.

Him and Carl Davis also produced a Jamaican Ska LP the name of which I can't remember right now.

I don't recall the title either, but it's on Epic. As reissue-happy as CBS-Sony is, I'm surprised they haven't brought this back on CD.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

It wasn't - Wand was based in New York.

Yeah I figured that out. A subsidiary of Scepter.

Anyway, yeah I know this is going to be a long list. There's the Curtom stuff with the solo material, 5 Stairsteps, Baby Huey, Leroy Hudson. There's the soundtracks (Sparkle, Short Eyes, Claudette.) I'm really more interested in finding the more obscure tracks that dude either produced or had some sort of involvement in, like the Patti Jo and the Linda Clifford and shit like that, which is serious quality.

Chris came through with a couple top choice joints.

Anyway, yeah I know this is going to be a long list. There's the Curtom stuff with the solo material, 5 Stairsteps, Baby Huey, Leroy Hudson. There's the soundtracks (Sparkle, Short Eyes, Claudette.) I'm really more interested in finding the more obscure tracks that dude either produced or had some sort of involvement in, like Linda Clifford

...who was on Curtom.

I'm sure you're aware of his OKeh productions*** or the OTHER labels he owned besides Curtom (Thomas, Mayfield, Gemigo, Windy C). As I sit here, Jan Bradley on Formal and Chess comes to mind (he wrote and I think produced her big hit "Mama Didn't Lie"). First one I can think of that hasn't been mentioned that wasn't released on any of his labels.

• Options
    The Real Jamaican Ska.

K.

• Options
    found a picture in my archives

K.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    The Real Jamaican Ska.

K.

Do you think this is Jamaican musicians, or Chicago cats cashing in?

• Options
    From what I remember of the listen - it was Jamaican musicians with a US-style mix (less gritty/bass). It's not easy to immitate the Techniques singing.

I know he was idolized by most Jamaicans, so contact and his subsequent participation is highly likely. I can ask some of the fellow nerds for the lowdown.

K.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Anyway, yeah I know this is going to be a long list. There's the Curtom stuff with the solo material, 5 Stairsteps, Baby Huey, Leroy Hudson. There's the soundtracks (Sparkle, Short Eyes, Claudette.) I'm really more interested in finding the more obscure tracks that dude either produced or had some sort of involvement in, like Linda Clifford

...who was on Curtom.

And not that obscure; by the disco era, I think she was the label's main moneymaker.

• Second on this from all my heart, though my copy has sadly only the "other" side :

-new world - "we're gonna make it"/"help the man" (polydor 1972)

• Not obscure, but he did two cuts on Barbara Mason's "Give Me Your Love" (duh) on Buddah 1972.

• RezRez 164 Posts
    new world - "we're gonna make it"/"help the man" (polydor 1972)

Hot 45 here in the Europe now - no one can find it - people getting well upset....

Rez

• RezRez 164 Posts
    Arnold Blair 'Tryin To Get Next To You' (Gemigo) - Curtis allover it...

Legendary 45 over here - so mad indemand in Englun...

Rez

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Arnold Blair 'Tryin To Get Next To You' (Gemigo) - Curtis allover it...

Legendary 45 over here - so mad indemand in Englun...

Rez

Produced by Leroy Hutson, not Curtis.

Wish I had kept one of my copies, but you're right - the UK
    heads were willing to pay far too well for me to hold onto them.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    WHOEVER produced the Arnold Blair......it is a frickin werk of GENIUS, as my holy freakin ghad that track is silly gooooooood. werd and a can of spam.

• Options
    ...and a Toronto spin supreme.

K.

WHOEVER produced the Arnold Blair......it is a frickin werk of GENIUS, as my holy freakin ghad that track is silly gooooooood. werd and a can of spam.

I still don't see why Curtom/Gemigo/WB went to all that trouble to make a PROMO POSTER, yet never released an entire Arnold Blair LP...

• JKrissJKriss 167 Posts
    ive never really heard of that arnold blair but from wut i have heard it sounds like sumthin id like. does neone got an mp3?

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Cos, you got this?

Not CUrtis-related but might as well be.

K in Canada.

Well in that case the Notations' Superpeople on Gemigo could be there too. Not actually Curtis but might as well be.