Famous "hip hop diggers" stories.

magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
edited July 2016 in Record Collecting
What "famous diggers" have you dudes meet up with,or have been impeded by,when out diggin' for records.
Humour me with some stories.I hope this isnt a touchy subject,you can leave out names if you feel obliged to(just put the asterisks)

Comments

• dj_pidj_pi 335 Posts
    Every time I go digging down to Detroit I see SoulHawk. I had seen him around even before I started coming to soulstrut but never really said anything to him.

He is a very nice guy.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

He is a very nice guy.

That's what everyone always says about B*e*k!

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

He is a very nice guy.

That's what everyone always says about B*e*k!

someone better post a josh spotting next - so that I can be seen in the context of my proper peer group...

• No famous "digger household names" have ever been anything but cordial if they didn't just keep to themselves.

One time I ran through Richmond only a week after Josh and Dante cleaned out Plan 9's back room and Pop's secret room. Doh. Still found records though, tee he he.

I'd like to run into Matt Dillon and tell him he's the man.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Cut Chemist once beat me to a Sister Nancy record.

I beat him within an inch of his life.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Cut Chemist once beat me to a Sister Nancy record.

I beat him within an inch of his life.

Now that's more like what i was expecting to read.
    Dont hold back people.

• not very Hip Hop, but Fred Schnieder got to a Briggite Bardot raer right before me. Now everytime I see a B52's video I yell "fuck you" and throw soemthing at the TV.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    most 'celebrity diggers' seem to be cheapskates - on some 'I'm record-world famous, give me the records' type shit.

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    I've taken Edan digging a few times, mainly around central London... Been digging with DJ Format a couple of times...
    Shadow has popped up in my local spot (although I have that one on lock regarding the hip-hop) several times while visiting London.

I've been in TSL when a bunch of people have been there (Finesse, Buckwild etc. etc.) but that doesn't really count...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I flirted w Mary Wilson @ a show a couple of years back.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

Shadow has popped up in my spot

Shadow has popped up in my spot

good find.

• I was at Groove Merchant once when Peanut Butter Wolf and some of his crew rolled in. He was hovering over me on the listening table. Finally said he could cut in front and then proceeded to do it to me again later in that same store. I made him take a picture with me.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I've been in TSL when a bunch of people have been there (Finesse, Buckwild etc. etc.) but that doesn't really count...

What did he get?

• i saw j*sh at a local spot. he wasnt really digging, it was a photo shoot for a story about him. after he left i heard the photographer and the shop owner talking about him.

Photographer: "I know he's from Davis, so I mentioned Murder Burger so we'd have something to talk about..."

Shop Owner: "Yeah, you can't really talk to him about anything but records."

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i rolled up to this dance/techno spot that sometimes buys collections and i got really lucky

they had just priced some retired djs collection...i was pulling all these OG pic cover 12"s...promos

all at $4 a piece i dropped like 400 bucks...

standing next to me the whole time was this dude all bundled up in a bubble jacket looking through stuff...he had sunglasses on....a stack of about 12 records

me being curious, i asked him to see the records...just to take a peek at what he got to first....he had pulled all this dope Davy DMX shit and some older party joints and the last record i get to is LLs "Around the Way Girl"

this was like, my childhood theme song...dont ask why....but i said "yo i love this song...i grew up on it"

dude says "yea man can u believe i made the beat and i dont even have a damn copy"

then Marley paid for his shit....hopped in his Benz and took off
    ketancove

• I was working at a record store back in '98 with a dude named R**h. "R**hman from Brookland, BedStuy NY don't give a damn" as he liked to say. Anyway, he had just moved to the 206 with his babymamma and kids. Used to tell me all kinds of old school hip hop stories from NYC with him right up in the mix. Now, I like to believe people's stories, but we all know how things can be blown out of proportion.

Anyway, we're working one night and Afrika Bambaata rolls into the store and starts looking around. R**h is doing his thing, pricing Carol King records, not paying attention. I'm thinking "that's Afrika Bambaata" and knew he was spinning records at a club that night. He comes up to the counter with Police "Synchronicity" and is about to ask us a question and goes "R**chman!" and Rich says "Bam!" and they give each other a huge hug.

Thus, I realized many of the stories R**hman told me were probably true. But, why come all the way to Seatown to buy Synchronicity?

Peace,
    Cortez

• But, why come all the way to Seatown to buy Synchronicity?

wasnt it bam who said once in an interview "my record collection is that big, i really have problems finding records so when iam djing somewhere else, i have to go shopping for records to play that night" (...)

did he play synchronicity that night?

• i ran into cl smooth one time at rock and soul in nyc, he was buying some sweet soul.

i saw egon and some stones throw cats at the raritan show. that was my first phill most spotting as well.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I see Edan around Boston all the time. I saw him once at L**ney T**es, I had just gone through these unsorted piles of 70's soul LP's they had just put out, when he came in with his vestax.

I was like, "good timing, they just put out a bunch of good shit" (wishing I had a portable cause it was all pretty obscure mid-70's soul/funk/disco that I wasn't all that up on)

Dude just made a noise at me like

So I just stepped off - nothing was gonna piss me off cause I had just pulled a minty OG of Fatback Band Let's Do It Again for $10...

Dude rolled by a few minutes later when I was in the jazz, all 180 style "hey, so, what did you pull out of there?"
    and I gave him an "eh, just some shit..." and an

Peter Wolf from J. Geils band used to come into my record store all the time, but he ain't very hip hop.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

I was like, "good timing, they just put out a bunch of good shit" (wishing I had a portable cause it was all pretty obscure mid-70's soul/funk/disco that I wasn't all that up on)

Dude just made a noise at me like

weak.

• What did he get?

Didn't notice although Cool Chris had some secret joints behind the counter for him.

• Photographer: "I know he's from Davis, so I mentioned Murder Burger so we'd have something to talk about..."

Shop Owner: "Yeah, you can't really talk to him about anything but records."

I think they changed Murder Burger to Redrum Burger a while ago.

Edan didnt listen to hip hop til 98

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Peter Wolf from J. Geils band used to come into my record store all the time, but he ain't very hip hop.

And neither am I...so what kinda stuff was Wolf buying? Old R&B and country, like he's known to be into?

• HamHam 872 Posts
    OHH DAMN HE DIDNT?! MANNNN FUCK EDAN THEN GUESS I GOTTA THROW AWAY MY EDAN RECORDS NOW

OHH DAMN HE DIDNT?! MANNNN FUCK EDAN THEN GUESS I GOTTA THROW AWAY MY EDAN RECORDS NOW

dont do that

ill take them haha

dudes gotta be a dick...i seen him at TSL once...being a total prick

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    he was a dick to me when I talked to him in Chicago a year or so back.

can i get an amen?

its funny cuz when i seen him, J Zone was present....

on record, Zone seems like more of a dick...but he was actually very polite and had good listening station etiquette