Bootsy vs.Graham?

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited April 2005 in Music Talk
Which bassist would you choose to cement your Funk band. Ive been thinkin' about this for years.

Comments

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    Ive been thinkin' about this for years.

Because you actually have the option of approaching either to join?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    just an imaginary band. who do you prefer?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    just an imaginary band. who do you prefer?

I can't stand Larry Graham. Bootsy and that's if I had to..

• Flea

BTW: IS CHUCK RAINEY AN OPTION???

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    yeah isnt larry graham on some weirdo born again crusader type steez???

Bootsy anyday.

but in my own mind garden jam band there is only one man for the bass job:

Is that the dude who used to play on James Taylor records? He's exteremely funky on that "Whenever I see Your Smiling Face"... tune.

dude rocked with phil collins too man

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Which bassist would you choose to cement your Funk band. Ive been thinkin' about this for years.

Bootsy and Graham? One's about as good as the other, but if I had to pick, and Chuck Rainey wasn't available, I'd go with Steve Scipio. I'm not saying that to impress the "raer" collectors reading this - Scipio really would be The Man to lay down the bottom. Listen to most any Cymande track and the main part you remember is Scipio's bass line.

• Jaco

I know Pastorious is crazy nice but could he replace the thumping bass on all of the Sly and the Family Stone classics. Im talkin pure uncut Funk.Not liquid Jazz runs. Whats not played is important.Any Funk soldiers out there?

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts

I would choose Bootsy, but only if we are talkin abt him when he was still an alumni at the Godfather School......

(after that I wouldn't call him, cause just like Graham, they are too much bassit' bassist (read: prima donna) on their instrument....(all that "slap" would cover most of the sonic spectrum, leaving not enough room to the other players if )

for cement my funk I would give a call to Wilton Felder...
    the dude is still too much underrated

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

Is that the dude who used to play on James Taylor records? He's exteremely funky on that "Whenever I see Your Smiling Face"... tune.

He was also in a group on Warner Bros. called The Section, which was basically the set of musicians who would be the session men for loads of other records. Not bad stuff.

The Slap bass changed the game.

The Slap bass changed the game.
    not always for the better IMO

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Yo,

I'm with some of the others on here in that I wouldn't pick either one of those guys to play bass for me. I would likely go some of these cats (in no particular order):

-Michael Henderson (smooth, soulful bass steelo).

-James Jamerson (Funk Brothers, indeed!!!!).

-Paul Jackson (the "Black Octopus" gets busy!!!).

-Marshall Jones (don't front on the man with the turban).

-Louis Johnson (real headz know how Lou gets down).

-Marcus Miller (in the same vein as LJ's feel above).

-Abe Laboriel (smooth bass steeze again).

-Nathan East (ditto).

-Stanley Clarke (playing in his "We Supply" type bag; no picolo bass in my funk band, though).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Could you swap M.Henderson for Bootsy when he played for J.B. I wonder if can really get gutterbucket? He does swing into a lot of smooth-jazz stuff.There is a difference in being funky and callin down the Mothership. I know G.Duke can.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Oh, Mike Henderson can get funky!!! I like his style of playing because he's got licks but he doesn't get too "out the pocket."

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Larry Grhaman borders on the gross....

fuck it, give me Carol Kaye, Duck Dunn or Richard Evans(with Richard you get a kick ass arranger, producer and bassist).

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    yeah isnt larry graham on some weirdo born again crusader type steez???

Bootsy anyday.

he's a witness now :/ he also coverted prince... they are on a weird one, the whole town paisley's in is a witness town...

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts

Well you know who this kid chose to jam with...

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    You crossed my private mind garden right there, man.

Yo,

I forgot about these folks:

-Freddie Stone.
    -George Porter, Jr.
    -Robert "Kool" Bell.
    -Shuggie Otis.
    -Verdine White.
    -Henry Davis.
    -Ron Brown.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Is every funky bassist a genre defining one?

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Could you swap M.Henderson for Bootsy when he played for J.B. I wonder if can really get gutterbucket?

talkin abt funky grease
    Check Mile Davis "live evil" first song, first 2 minutes......there you can find how raw M Enderson can get

• You just can't fuck with Bootzilla.

And you can't fuck with that outfit, either.

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts

Well you know who this kid chose to jam with...

of course he did, dude is his pastor... prince's other bass player "chance" is off the chart...

Give me more than just an intro to a song,please. I know he's nice but better than.....more examples,please.