Uber-rare and wanted--what to do?

vinylstalkervinylstalker 397 Posts
edited March 2016 in Record Collecting
O.k., I have a question for the more seasoned 'struttersout there, and yes, I am serious.I very recently came across a stack of 8 copies of a record,all mint old stock, wich I purchaced for $21.Now, this record is apparently super rare. And highly sought after.From what I can tell, this never comes up for sale, and therewas some speculation that all existing copies are accounted for.I am not going to name names, but grail status is high.

Now, my question is this (and keep in mind I do not have muchexperience selling wax, and am mostly a thrift/flea guy, so Ido not have many contacts in the "community"):

How should I go about unloading them without blowing out the market,or drastically reducing the price?

I am going to keep 2, soI will have 6 to let go. Now I realize 6 is not a whole lot,but with this particular record, it seems enough to causequite a stir.I'm thinking ebay is not the way to go here.

Mass email to a list of uber-collectors?

Sorry for being secretive with the title. I'm just tryingto protect my interest.

Comments

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    i would

keep 2 for myself

put 2 up for trade

put 4 on ebay...but make it like 1 every month or 2

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    i would

keep 2 for myself

put 2 up for trade

put 4 on ebay...but make it like 1 every month or 2

Make that two.

Nice avatar Ed

• Yes, but put 2 up for trade where? Here?
    The record in question is a funk 45.
    Is there a place best suited for 45's of the rare funk variety?
    I don't do internet record buying, so please to excuse
    the little-dude questions.

• Keep 2 (for now)

Then, depends if you want the money or records or a mix...

eBay is great. You can offer the second highest bidder on your first auction the record for his/her bid price, so you won't have to pay eBay listing or final value fees. If there's enough desire, you may even want to unload 3 this way.

Then wait a bit (2 months is fine) to unload the others.

oh, and offer me one.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    List one here and list one on fryer's site.

But you really need to establish a worth first. Otherwise how do you know when it's a fair trade?

You don't have to be all secretive - you can ask in public, if it's really that rare you're not in any danger of someone finding an additional stockpile...

• fryersrecords.co.uk -- most of the really heavy $$$ collectors are on there, but you can also contact dealers like babytrecords or DJ friendly. They'll give you great trades or may even sell on consignment. You don't want to do it all at once.

in all honesty if you say what the record is ....if it really is in high demand ..it will sell itself in no time ...

if you dont want to reveal...i understand... but say for example if i posted i had 8 copies of insert raer here in the trades section ..safe to say they would be gone quickly...with no real effort on your part

Keep 2 (for now)

Then, depends if you want the money or records or a mix...

eBay is great. You can offer the second highest bidder on your first auction the record for his/her bid price, so you won't have to pay eBay listing or final value fees. If there's enough desire, you may even want to unload 3 this way.

Then wait a bit (2 months is fine) to unload the others.

oh, and offer me one.

yeah...what Mike said

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    what is it?! make me jealous! now.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

You don't have to be all secretive - you can ask in public, if it's really that rare you're not in any danger of someone finding an additional stockpile...

Maybe he doesn't want the world to know that an additional eight copies of this record now exist, which inevitably pushes down the value if we're talking about something that only five or six copies of were previously believed to exist.

• Honestly mang, if you paid $21 for a stack of records that's probably worth a few thousand bucks I wouldn't sweat it too much. It's not like you're going to come out behind in the deal.

Throw one up on ebay. It will go for crazy $. Then, money in hand, you can just chill on the rest. Then trade a few, sell a few, have fun with it.

Post on this board and a few others if you want to trade. If the record is as heavy as you say, word will get around and you will get some insane trades thrown your way. These douds are professional record geeks... they'll find you

...and you might want to check the channels from where the guy you bought em from found his before giving up the name. Maybe he knows the guy sitting on a hundred copies. People get nasty and will find it if you don't.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    throw one up on ebay and then second chance offer that shit.

• Maybe he doesn't want the world to know that an additional eight copies of this record now exist, which inevitably pushes down the value if we're talking about something that only five or six copies of were previously believed to exist. Yes.
    This is exactly the quandry I find myself in.

• I'd love to know what it is. I have a bunch of heavy stuff to trade if you want to go that route. Or depending what it is I might spring for it. If it's Carleen and the Groovers or Salt, I'm so game...
    Peace,
    Mike

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    you big tease... I mean you "big teathe"

I know if I found uberaers in qty I wouldn't have a clue what to do with them and would rely on soulstrut inquiry to guide me in the right direction.

• djrdjr 511 Posts

april fool's joke???

i'd estimate vinylstalker has recieved at least 5 PM's already.....

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    you have 8 copies of Salt, dont you?

• you have 8 copies of Salt, dont you?

• Actually, make that 9.
    Aaaaarrrrgghh.
    I'm starting to freak a little.

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    Maybe he doesn't want the world to know that an additional eight copies of this record now exist, which inevitably pushes down the value if we're talking about something that only five or six copies of were previously believed to exist. Yes.

Truth be told, if you found eight copies of Carleen & the Groovers, Salt, TMG's The Hatch, et al I seriously doubt the "outing" of you having it changes the value from a $1,000+ record to even an $800 record. The value of the record would still be $1,000+ and finding 6 people to pay it would take like 10 minutes

• Maybe he doesn't want the world to know that an additional eight copies of this record now exist, which inevitably pushes down the value if we're talking about something that only five or six copies of were previously believed to exist.
    Yes.
    Truth be told, if you found eight copies of Carleen & the Groovers, Salt, TMG's The Hatch, et al I seriously doubt the "outing" of you having it changes the value from a $1,000+ record to even an $800 record. The value of the record would still be $1,000+ and finding 6 people to pay it would take like 10 minutes
    Good point. The ensuing melee is likely to drive the price up if anything...

• ....followed immediately by James Trouble complaining about either how the record was obtained or it's authenticity...

• 45 or LP?
    does it have "part 1" and "2" in the title?
    bigger than a breadbox?
    over $1000?

• 45 or LP?
    bigger than a breadbox?
    over $1000?

Hey handcorkscrew! Your interrogation is very fitting for your alias.

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    45 or LP?
    bigger than a breadbox?
    over $1000?

corky I know you disagree, but uber-rare should only be reserved for records that can be sold for over $1,000. And if the record's not worth at least a G-Unit, than the freaking out & secrecy is unwarranted. I mean what the fuck is all the hand-wringing for is you can't cop at least a Ruff Rider bike off the find???

this record is apparently super rare. And highly sought after.

From what I can tell, this never comes up for sale, and there

was some speculation that all existing copies are accounted for.

I am not going to name names, but grail status is high.

seriously dude.....only a limited number of 45's fit this description...so reveal!!!!!!....you'll have a couple grand in a week....

TIME TO CASH THE LOTTO TICKET

• 45 or LP?
    bigger than a breadbox?
    over $1000?

corky I know you disagree, but uber-rare should only be reserved for records that can be sold for over $1,000. And if the record's not worth at least a G-Unit, than the freaking out & secrecy is unwarranted. I mean what the fuck is all the hand-wringing for is you can't cop at least a Ruff Rider bike off the find???

hah yeah I was just joking around. Dunno if I can stomach more on the whole terminology of what qualities "rare" encompasses. (demand, low pressing, quality of music...)

Except if I'm selling that shit... in which case RARE RAER RARREEEEE!!!

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    It's more fun trying to guess what it is. Where are you from? Maybe that might help...

• Im south of the Mason-Dixon line.