Sylvers I vs. Sylvers II

Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
edited January 2016 in Music Talk
I vote for Slyvers II. 'We Can Make It If We Try' and 'Cry of a Dreamer' gives me the chills.

Comments

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    III

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    I vote for Slyvers II. 'We Can Make It If We Try' and 'Cry of a Dreamer' gives me the chills.

Co-Sign

I was at a wedding in the summer and I couldn't stop singin' We can make it.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    and who the hell are the SL[/b]YVERS ?

• and who the hell are the SL[/b]YVERS ?

Don't you know? Fotser Slyvers is one of their members!

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    III
    What's up with that one?

and who the hell are the SL[/b]YVERS ?

Don't you know? Fotser Slyvers is one of their members!

Ahh got jokes! I'll edit my spelling fuck up.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    III

What's up with that one?

Not nearly as good as II or I, but its the hardest to find of the three.

III
    What's up with that one?

Oh ok. Is that on the Pride label as well?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    What about the 2nd Foster Sylvers... harder to find but not as good too, right?

III
    What's up with that one?

Oh ok. Is that on the Pride label as well?

Pride/MGM, I believe.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    might someone post up sylvers 1? I've only ever pulled G(---) copies.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    What about the 2nd Foster Sylvers... harder to find but not as good too, right?

I just sold the last of three selaed ones I had. But it sucks IMO.

Sylvers II gets my vote for "Love Me Love Me Not".

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    "cry of a dreamer" is indeed spine-chilling, and II is a more consistent lp (imo)

"cry of a dreamer" is indeed spine-chilling, and II is a more consistent lp (imo)

Yeah, "I" sorta falls off after the heat of the first two tracks, but it's still worth is for those alone. Jazzanova sample is dope, too. My recording software bugged out on me last week, so I can't upoad right now, unfortunately.

Yeah, "I" sorta falls off after the heat of the first two tracks, but it's still worth is for those alone.

Its been a while since I've listened to I so I didn't wanna weigh in, but that was what I recall... the first one is about the hits, whereas the 2nd has jawdropping moments throughout...

• III

My fave "Whats it all about" + "Don't give up the good life"

Saying that i also like "We can make it" + "I don't need to prove myself" from II, They were all big tunes back in the mid/late 80's + "Misdemeanor"

• I vote for Slyvers II. 'We Can Make It If We Try'
    ditto .. hands down.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    I like em both equally to be honest. Both dope records.

• best sylvers track has to be on III: whats it all about
    II is ridiculous and I is dope

advanced question:
    any Sylvers heat outside of 1,2,3 and foster sylvers??? i'm talking about any of those disco looking records. any good cuts? i truly dont know

advanced question:
    any Sylvers heat outside of 1,2,3 and foster sylvers??? i'm talking about any of those disco looking records. any good cuts? i truly dont know

I think there's a couple decent slowjams but since I can't even remember if I wanted to keep them or not I hesitate to recommend... I'm always flipping to the last cut on each side of the 4-on-the-floor albums for the sweet R&B prize inside

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    II, hands down.

Amazing, amazing album.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Whichever one has "ill never be ashamed again" and "stay away from me". "stay away from me" is the -est.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    II, hands down.

Amazing, amazing album.

On top of "We Can Make It..." and "Cry of a Dreamer" I really dig "I Don't Need to Prove Myself".

Attached files

• sylvers II without question. one of my fav. records of all time. i also enjoy III more than I.
    peace, stein. . .

Is that a sealed OG???

• Yep. TSL has or had a lot of quantity on I, II, and Foster's S/T at one point.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Yep. TSL has or had a lot of quantity on I, II, and Foster's S/T at one point.

Yep. $40 for a sealed copy which is a-ok with me.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Yep. TSL has or had a lot of quantity on I, II, and Foster's S/T at one point.

Yep. $40 for a sealed copy which is a-ok with me.

I've seen both the Foster (S/T) and II by The Sylvers much cheaper here in Killwaukee, at our highest priced store. Interesting......

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    sealed though? I thought those records were $30-ish, no?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    sealed though? I thought those records were $30-ish, no?

No, not sealed, but I got my Foster (S/T) jawn for $20. I saw II for cheaper, like maybe 12 bucks. And trust me, dude sells stuff that's usually VG+ or better.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak