Love Buzz (Nirvana related)

MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
edited April 2005 in Music Talk
I copped an album by the (probably dutch, going by their last names) group Shocking Blue. I listened a bit in the store, skipped around side 1 and dug it. But when i listened to side 2 at home, I was quite surprised to hear Love Buzz, that Nirvana did a cover version of on Bleach. I checked the Bleach notes and found it was made originally by the Shocking Blue (writer: Robby van Leeuwen). What's the deal? Is the band famous in the US, I've never heard about them. Was Kurt a digger?

Comments

• Yeh - Dutch - big hit 'Venus'. Done some good things - check 'Hot Sand'.

There's a DVD - 'Greatest Hits Around the World' which is well worth catching.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    They made Venus? I thought that was a cover. One of those songs I've always recognized (and loathed) but never knew what the original artist was. They get props for "The butterfly and I", though.

• Yup - responsible for Venus - No1 in the USofA.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Yeah, I was a little surprised when I first heard the original Love Buzz. That was quickly overshadowed, though, by how good the entire album is.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    True, true. It's weird though, if I'd known they did Venus, I might have thought they were crap and not picked it up. Probably a bunch of records out there I've passed on, just because the artists are known as one hit wonders and you don't like the one hit. Gotta keep an open mind...

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Kurt was just as music obsessed as any nerd posting on soulstrut today. If you read his journals that courtney published its real easy to see how totally self concious he was about all the music he made.

He'd make lists, obsess over themed mixtapes, go into long diatribes about specific music journalists, its all pretty awesome to see even if it sort of tarnishes the perception some have of him as this disaffected genius.

But yes, i feel comfortable stating that Kurt was a digger.

He's even got breaks on the nirvana records.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    But yes, i feel comfortable stating that Kurt was a digger.

check the incesticide linear notes for kurts antecdote about "direct digging" for the raincoats lp.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Kurt Cobain was someone who enjoyed music, and being in Aberdeen, Washington and knowing what kind of town that is (LOGGERS OF THE WORLD, UNITE!), it's not a surprise that he probably seeked thrift stores or roamed around in other people's collections.

• Crazy - I never would have picked that as a cover.
    Same with "Tainted Love."

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Props to Kurt for referencing his favorite bands all the time. As a freshman in high school I searched out a lot of stuff that he big upped in a rolling stone magazine- Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr, Beat Happening, The Raincoats, The Pixies, The Vaselines etc etc. I feel very fortunate that I saw Nirvana live twice. I went to that MTV show with The Breeders and Cypress Hill opening. Amazing show.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Props to Kurt for referencing his favorite bands all the time. As a freshman in high school I searched out a lot of stuff that he big upped in a rolling stone magazine- Sonic Youth, Dinosaur Jr, Beat Happening, The Raincoats, The Pixies, The Vaselines etc etc. I feel very fortunate that I saw Nirvana live twice. I went to that MTV show with The Breeders and Cypress Hill opening. Amazing show.

The Vaselines, yes. I remember hearing Nirvana do a live version of "Molly's Lips" and at the time I had no idea who The Vaselines were. Their stuff was hard to find until Sub Pop came out with a compilation. Some of it sounds a bit like Beat Happening. What was the song about the bicycle seat, "Rory Rides Me Raw" or something? I thought that was funny.

I've always wanted that Vaselines on vinyl but have never seen it. Raer??

• Kurt Cobain was totally into Os Mutantes also. I read that he tried to get them to play a reunion. He picked up their whole catalog while in Brazil for Rock in Rio.

• Man, surprised you guys didn't mention "Acka Ragh" off that LP... one of my favourite sitar jawns....

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    True, true. It's weird though, if I'd known they did Venus, I might have thought they were crap and not picked it up. Probably a bunch of records out there I've passed on, just because the artists are known as one hit wonders and you don't like the one hit. Gotta keep an open mind...

It's easy to do, passed on good stuff myself that way. Thankfully I found a few Shocking Blue 45's on Pink Elephant before I found "Venus" and said "oh they did that?"

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I've always wanted that Vaselines on vinyl but have never seen it. Raer??

yes. had it once. still bummed I traded it after 7 years...

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    nirvana rules!

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    Gotta give KC props for namedroppin' Flipper & taking them on tour. if I remember correctly Henry Rollins called them the most intimidating band he ever saw.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

It's easy to do, passed on good stuff myself that way. Thankfully I found a few Shocking Blue 45's on Pink Elephant before I found "Venus" and said "oh they did that?"

I always liked "Venus" (the Shocking Blue version), and that's what started me checking for the rest of their stuff. It's one thing to ignore a one-hitter just 'cause you never liked the one hit, but I was afraid it would be the more common problem: the one hit was so good that nothing else measures up to it. (The Beginning Of The End was a good band, but I have yet to hear another B.O.T.E. track that sounds as hot as "Funky Nassau.") As it turned out, "Venus" was only one trick up their sleeves - the Shocking Blue had other good shit in the pipeline.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I always liked "Venus" (the Shocking Blue AND the Bananrama version)

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I've loved the Shocking Blue for years, and even phone-interviewed Mariska Veres the singer for my magazine in 1994. She was real nice and seemed to be a good person, real down-to-earth. She said the band never did drugs (they just drank a lot) and that when they toured the states around 1970, Ike & Tina opened for THEM. At the time, she had a new CD out of jazz covers of Woodstock-era songs under the name The Mariska Veres Shocking Jazz Quartet. Unfortunately she'd gained a lot of weight over the years and looked like Roseanne Barr.

About a year and a half ago I played guitar in a Shocking Blue cover band (called SHOCKING YOU) with my co-DJ Midnite Cowbwoy and a chick who could sing her ass off, sounding just like Mariska.

At our one and only show, we played

Love Buzz
    Venus
    Hot Sand
    I'm A Woman
    Long & Lonesome Road
    Send Me A Postcard

Somewhere there's a videotape of the performance I need to cop.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    About a year and a half ago I played guitar in a Shocking Blue cover band (called SHOCKING YOU) with my co-DJ Midnite Cowbwoy and a chick who could sing her ass off, sounding just like Mariska.

This was hot shit, no lie

Shocking You killed it

Definitely the best 'tribute' show I've ever seen

Better than Spandex Ballet?

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    nice to see all the nirvana heads...did you guys ever hear "merrygolds" by nirvana, the one tune where dave grohl does lead vocals? its some bside.. its really nice

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    nice to see all the nirvana heads...did you guys ever hear "merrygolds" by nirvana, the one tune where dave grohl does lead vocals? its some bside.. its really nice

http://s50.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0OAZY7EVAC5X12BPYCIJCT6X6Y