CADET BREAKS

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
always sound great, what are some of your favories?im partial to "i'm a man" on electric mud and the soulful strings "jingle bells" breakman i wish "here comes the judge" had a break because those sounds are CRAZY...yes i know theres open hits all over that track, but i was a straight up raw break of that drum pattern that goes through the track!!

Comments

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    how about the few Bo Diddley records on Cadet ?

• chasechase 767 Posts

man i wish "here comes the judge" had a break

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    I love the sound of the Cadet records. My favorite would be some Ray Bryant drums.

I love the Eddie Fisher & The Next One Hundred Years LP. One of my top 5 records of all time!

• yEs my man.
    When I heard those drums on there , I was stunned ! ! !
    Cadet should open up their vaults & let us enjoy ! ! !

Zimms

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    how about the few Bo Diddley records on Cadet ?

All of Bo Diddley's Chess albums were either on Chess or Checker. No Cadet.

• I love the sound of the Cadet records.

Seconded. Fischer's "Third cup" LP also has a oh so short break intro, but the sound is just great!

. J

• Ray Bryant - Up Above The Rock

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

This one has a couple nice breaks.

And a really obvious one:

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Does Cadet Concept count? If so...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts

There's a break on there? Where?

• Rotary Connection? Dorothy Ashby?

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts

Rotary Connection? Dorothy Ashby?

Shades of Brown?

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Shades of Brown?

that was cadet? for some reason i ALWAYS thought they were on polydor...but i guess that wouldnt make much sense

Shades of Brown?

that was cadet? for some reason i ALWAYS thought they were on polydor...but i guess that wouldnt make much sense

Naw, SOB is definitely Cadet. I'm surprised no one thought of that earlier (myself included!)

And the Archie Whitewater isn't a drum break but loop-wise, you can't front.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts

in the words of the_mack....I NEED THIS!!

By the way, does anyone know much about Shades of Brown? I've always been curious who these dudes were. Their self-titled album on Cadet is a really bugged out soul LP...you'd almost think it should have been on Cadet Concept instead.

Soil I Tilled For You

So I'm doing research on SOB actually and damn dudes - Cadet in the era their album came out is just siiiiick. Peep the shit before and after this album:

(This is all Cadet, not including Cadet Concept)

LPS-818 - Up Above the Rock - Ray Bryant [1969]
    LPS-825 - Dorothy's Harp - Dorothy Ashby [1969]
    LPS-826 - Upchurch - Phil Upchurch [1969]
    LPS-831 - Gin And Orange - Brother Jack McDuff [1969]
    LPS-833 - The Spice Of Life - Marlena Shaw [1969]
    LPS-841 - Rubaiyat - Dorothy Ashby [1970]
    LPS-843 - Shades Of Brown - Shades of Brown [1970]
    LPS-844 - Them Changes - Ramsey Lewis [1970]
    CA-848 - The Next Hundred Years - Eddie Fisher Quintet [1971]

• chrischris 287 Posts
    By the way, does anyone know much about Shades of Brown? I've always been curious who these dudes were.

there's brief bios for them on the back cover of the lp.
    chicago youngsters with limited output including a later 45 obscurity on the "on top" label.

Ugh, it's buried somewhere in my library and I'm too lazy to dig it out. Good to know their bio is on the back though.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    I kind of have a thing for the break on Aesop's Fables "In Due Time" LP. The echo-ed out cymbals are ridiculous, never really heard anythign else like it....

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    I kind of have a thing for the break on Aesop's Fables "In Due Time" LP. The echo-ed out cymbals are ridiculous, never really heard anythign else like it....

Yeah that break is great, the fast break on there is pretty choppable too! But those cymbals are really unique, sounds like a rattle snake almost!

The Up Above the Rock break sounds different on 45 and LP, almost like different breaks. Are there any other cadet breaks on 45 besides that one?

• phono13phono13 842 Posts

in the words of "Lemme holler at that!"

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    By the way, does anyone know much about Shades of Brown? I've always been curious who these dudes were.

there's brief bios for them on the back cover of the lp.
    chicago youngsters with limited output including a later 45 obscurity on the "on top" label.

Geraci, you left out a huge detail:

The_Ricks went to high school with those dudes.

OH DAMN

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

Rotary Connection? Dorothy Ashby?

Shades of Brown?

Oh yeah, cosign on "Up Above the Rock" by Ray Bryant and "Them Changes" on the Ramsey Lew steeze

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    So I'm doing research on SOB actually and damn dudes - Cadet in the era their album came out is just siiiiick. Peep the shit before and after this album:

(This is all Cadet, not including Cadet Concept)

LPS-818 - Up Above the Rock - Ray Bryant [1969]
    LPS-825 - Dorothy's Harp - Dorothy Ashby [1969]
    LPS-826 - Upchurch - Phil Upchurch [1969]
    LPS-831 - Gin And Orange - Brother Jack McDuff [1969]
    LPS-833 - The Spice Of Life - Marlena Shaw [1969]
    LPS-841 - Rubaiyat - Dorothy Ashby [1970]
    LPS-843 - Shades Of Brown - Shades of Brown [1970]
    LPS-844 - Them Changes - Ramsey Lewis [1970]
    CA-848 - The Next Hundred Years - Eddie Fisher Quintet [1971]

Yo O,

I absolutely love Cadet Records albums. I think the sound on those LPs were soooooooo ahead of their time. Timeless music!!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• I kind of have a thing for the break on Aesop's Fables "In Due Time" LP. The echo-ed out cymbals are ridiculous, never really heard anythign else like it....

Yeah that break is great, the fast break on there is pretty choppable too! But those cymbals are really unique, sounds like a rattle snake almost!

I always wondered why that break sounded so weird. The bass is thumping on all the breaks on that album, plus they seem real differnt from each other (What is soul, what is love and that last tune on the b-side). That's a wicked tune, too. Was listening to it the other day. The organ solo is sweet, plus those bonkers construction-site sound-effects are pretty trippy.

- J