TRIBE Magazine (Detroit Jazz Related)

BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
edited January 2016 in Record Collecting
I was going to give this a nice thorough introduction, but fuck it, I'm exhausted.

Below are a few (of many) photos I took of various issues of Tribe Magazine, a periodical that, until about a week ago, I didn't know existed. My initial plans were to get all the material scanned, but it was absurdly expensive.

enjoy.

Cover of the earliest issue I could find.

Second earliest cover, and perhaps my favorite.

Nice article.

Depressing article, and still relevant.

Awesome artwork for an article I have yet to read.

Each of the first few issues had calendars inside, this was my favortie.

REKKANIZE, BAATCHES!!

So awesome (1974 back cover).

Anybody wanna lend me $20?

Apologies again for the rather languid introduction and descriptions, in no way are they indicative of the excitement I felt when I first came across this incredible publication.

Comments

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    this is awesome. you detroit cats got it good. thanks for sharing

• slushslush 691 Posts
    oh shit!

what i wouldnt give to check that box!

this is just beautiful. thanks a lot!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Thanks! That was

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    thnak yuo!

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Wow, those are amazing dude!! They look like they're in great condition too. Did you find em in Detroit?

• kilogramkilogram 152 Posts
    THANK YOU!!!

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    haha, all 6 of those albums for $20 bucks. you couldnt get all 6 of those for a grand now days

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Wow, those are amazing dude!! They look like they're in great condition too. Did you find em in Detroit?

I actually came across an insert from an issue of Tribe Magzine while researching John Sinclair. The insert had just enough information on it to give me a lead on where I might find more. The photos I took are from a 'historical library'...which is just as well, because they are taking care of them better than I could. I do, however, have all the publishing info and such so I'm going to see if I can't track down some more.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    That calendar is truly

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Totally absolutly jaw dropping, I mean my mouth is literally hanging open.

Big thanks.

I've picked up lots of Downbeats from this period and I always give them a quick read and give them away to some one else, but that stuff is gold.

On the Sinclair tip I saw The Ann Arbor Up perform one time. I'm exactly sure what the conection is but there is one.

I might have also heard Sinclair talk at The Smoke Out (I think that is what it was called) it was a legalize marijuana rally on the National Mall every July 4th. I can't remember all the details, I might have been stoned.

Dan

On the Sinclair tip I saw The Ann Arbor Up perform one time. I'm exactly sure what the conection is but there is one.

I might have also heard Sinclair talk at The Smoke Out (I think that is what it was called) it was a legalize marijuana rally on the National Mall every July 4th. I can't remember all the details, I might have been stoned.

Dan

Sinclair, I believe, was the manager of the UP (as well as MC5 and many others), and yes, he was an assiduous activist focusing both on the legalization of marijuana and the protection of black civil rights (he was a member, perhaps even the leader, of the local White Panther party, for example).

• slushslush 691 Posts
    Sinclair also did the liner notes and an introduction on Art Ensemble of Chicago's Bap-Tizum.

• Depressing article, and still relevant.

Nice come up - wish it had been me though!

No for real, those are way cool, thanks for putting the pics up. I've only heard of the magazine and never actually seen one.

Notice the author of the above article -

"the man you've been waiting for, the drum beater, the system cheater, the broadcaster and drummer for black liberation, the king of spades - Jim Ingram!"

(applause)

"I guess I should tell you a little something about myself for those of you who don't know me, I'm from Detroit, the black power capitol of America. Some of y'all don't dig the term black power, well let me put it this way, I'm from the city which tan energy eminates"

Deep beats and deep crates,
    SonicReducer
    (TEAMAARON)

• Amazing! I heard about the sun-ra article. The only place I've seen this stuff referenced is in one of John Sinclair's collections. He had a strong link to Strata records.... I believe he was a co-founder? I don't suppose you could scan them on the sly. If you need manpower or fundage let me know, I'd love to get copies of these for research.

He had a strong link to Strata records.... I believe he was a co-founder?

Actually Strata Records (formed in 1973 by Kenny Cox and Charles Moore) was an outgrowth of the Strata Corporation, a larger body dedicated to the greater creative control of artists over their work.

Plaese to check thine PMs soon

• BigNachoBigNacho 47 Posts
    very cool. what is your interest in sinclair?

very cool. what is your interest in sinclair?

He was just an incredible guy, who dedicated himself to the positive sublimation of artistic talent and greater political awareness. I imagine that his connections to the Ann Arbor/Detroit Rock/Soul/Jazz scene alone would be enough to pique the interest of any Strutter.

• He had a strong link to Strata records.... I believe he was a co-founder?

Actually Strata Records (formed in 1973 by Kenny Cox and Charles Moore) was an outgrowth of the Strata Corporation, a larger body dedicated to the greater creative control of artists over their work.

Yup... he founded strata corporation

EDIT: I think!

Just shot you an email, I forget if you have my nfo.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    by the way, selections from the magazine were reprinted as part of the universal sound message from the tribe compilation

articles on sun ra, jesse jackson, etc. but it's black and white and not nearly as cool looking as those scans.

by the way, selections from the magazine were reprinted as part of the universal sound message from the tribe compilation

articles on sun ra, jesse jackson, etc. but it's black and white and not nearly as cool looking as those scans.

The Jesse Jackson article was in one of the issues I looked through today. One of the crazier things in the mags are the ads for record shops that have pictures of their merchandise. Copies of the Foster Sylvers album (sealed, of course), and Donald Austin "Crazy Legs" just sitting around, waiting to be forgotten about, and then feverishly coveted by the likes of record nerds 25 years later.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    He had a strong link to Strata records.... I believe he was a co-founder?

I taped an interview with Sinclair last fall around the time of the Detroit Artists Workshop reunion / anniversary celebration.

The Strata label / concert gallery was founded by Cox, Moore & Bud Spangler as an extension of the workshop after Sinclair had relocated to Ann Arbor & became manager of the MC5, got incarcerated for selling 2 joints, became a 'cause celeb' for John Lennon etc. After his release from prison in the early 70s his old friends offered to let him set up an office within Strata in exchange for doing some A&R work & liner notes writing. Lyman Woodard was an adolescent friend of Sinclair( both are from the Flint area) & he hooked up the deal that resulted in the release of 'Saturday Night Special'.

---

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    This is fucking insane. So much mixtape cover material and art and ill typography. Holy fucking shit. Wow.

Fist score on soulstrut (besides mingering mike) that I can truly say makes me green with envy.

Congrats on that score. I'd love to get some scans of the art and illustrations and photograpy.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    BreakSelf been doin' RILL thangs! Bettaknowdaaat!

Those are true pieces of history man, I know how hard you research and it's good to see another payoff.

It's good to see Coleman Young's face again, too.

• Link to the "new dimension" graphic as wallpaper

(sized for my 15" powerbook... sorry)

And on that not I'm out...

(sized for my 15" powerbook... sorry)

And on that not I'm out...

awesome...I have the same computer.

Thought I'd add a few more pics for the Monday morning crowd who may have missed this.

Poorly taken picture of one of Jim Ingram's many black awareness articles.

Herbie looking gangster.

More modern style cover with a dope artistic interpretation of the picture above.

jesus fucking christ!!!!!!!!!!!

this stuff is out of the UofM 'special collections' innit?

---

jesus fucking christ!!!!!!!!!!!

this stuff is out of the UofM 'special collections' innit?

---

makes me wonder what else they have...

they supposedly have one of the largest collections of countercultural materials in the nation... but you can't really browse the stacks can you?

---

they supposedly have one of the largest collections of countercultural materials in the nation... but you can't really browse the stacks can you?

---

Nope, they have that shit on lock down. You have to know exactly what you want (call no., box no. etc.) and they retrieve it for you. Also, the rights to many of the collections are owned exclusively by the people who donated them so most of the time you can't take pictures (e.g. the Sinclair collection). Luckily, TRIBE magazine was a public periodical.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

---

you may need to be a student to look through, but i'm sure breakself will let you in.

i was about to ask if that was from the special collections section too. Their anarchist collection of literature/pamphlets is amazing too. I really should have taken better advantage of all that stuff while a student out there.

thanks for sharing all that stuff, breakself.