LITTLE DUDE IDEA: BEATMAKING for New Orleans? $$?

GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
Yo, I have an idea that I would like y'all to consider. I thought that we should have a SoulStut beatmaking contest in order to raise money for the hurricane victims. It would be a certain amount to enter (like$20), and then we would make our beatz, and the pot would go to the guy/girl who made the ILLEST beat. Beatz would be posted through MP3s and we would determine the winner through a SS poll. Like our own American Idol: THE LAST STRUTTER or some shit like that.WHOOZ down? Put your name down so that I can get an idea of interest, and then I will try to figure out shit with a moderator or RAJ or Bambouce or with whoever ... Hollar! (please)gNAT PS I thought that the assignment could be "Make a beat from ONE song that mudderfuggin sux and make it ill."

Comments

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    And the winner would donate his winnings? Your leaveing out the New Orleans connection???????

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    the pot would be donated[/b]; the guy/girl who made the ILLEST beat would have the satisfaction of being the winner through a SS poll.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    YEAH...sorry...motheruckin OVERSIGHT?!!! The winnings would be donated...JEEZUZWhoa...I am NOT proposing that I be the treasurer either...for obvious reasons like oversights like that...

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    I will need some help organizing [color:purple](mythoughts)[/color] all of this if folks are interested...

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Bad idea?

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts

PS I thought that the assignment could be "Make a beat from ONE song that mudderfuggin sux and make it ill."

I thought that since this dough needs to get there as soon as possible, we should just throw a track up that you already have or can get done soon...

count me in...

Remember, the object is to participate... whoever wins can brag in here a little though...

Bad idea?

Hell no... give dudes a minute.

This is such a stressful time... I'm going to go make some love now... I thank God that I am still able to do so... check in tommorow...

• im down for anything beat related that can help the cause

just made 2 new bangers today and i know yinz do not even wanna test

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    im down for anything beat related that can help the cause

just made 2 new bangers today and i know yinz do not even wanna test
    What about the assignment? Or should we just say, ILLEST UNPUBLISHED & UNDISCOVERED BEAT so that heads don't necessarily have to hit the studio to make the shit...something you got on standby is cool too...that might open it up and get some more appeal and therefore money...

• I've got beats. I've never attempted to do anything with them but it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    ...something you got on standby is cool...that will open it up and get some more appeal and therefore money...[/b]
    This is what we're doing...
    hollar... (especially moderators--would like your OK)
    gNAT

the beats could be anonymous too, you would vote for say beat #4... that way people could vote for what they liked rather than who they like... just a thought...

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    the beats could be anonymous too, you would vote for say beat #4... that way people could vote for what they liked rather than who they like... just a thought...
    yes[/b]...no more fuckin student council shit...JUST imagine we could vote for a president this way...no face to look at, just views and action to vote on...you know...CONTENT OF CHARACTER...

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    so i cant use my good looks:

to attract more voters? daymn that sucks!

• JUST imagine we could vote for a president this way...no face to look at, just views and action to vote on...you know...CONTENT OF CHARACTER...

Well, you know, I voted for Bush because he's damn sexy.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    So folks, I'm rethinking this whole deal. Though my intentions are good, I've put my business hat on and realized that the contest concept isn't going to make very much money. Even with 10 different people making beats and donating $20 each to enter their beat in the contest, that's only $200 raised. So.

NEW IDEA[/b]. We still go with original beatz, but chuck the whole "contest" concept. INSTEAD, let's compile a disc of 10-15 original SoulStrutter beats and get an album going. DJ tracks would be cool too.

We charge $20 per disk, plus shipping. I figure hella folks on here will cop (at least 50) which will be at least $1000. Maybe we could get more. All proceeds would go directly to RedCross or another such charitable organization (suggestions welcome).

NEEDS:

*We need an artist for cover art.
    *We need at least 10 different original beatz from SoulStrut members.
    *We need someone to reproduce CDs quick and cheap.
    *We need someone with a PAYPAL Account set up to receive money; the Treasurer.
    *We need someone to ship everything.
    *We need someone to coordinate all these folks.
    *Am I missing anything? I must be...

Beats/art can obviously come from anywhere. I suggest that the CD production person, cover art production person, Treasurer, Shipping person, and Coordinator all be in the same geographic area (PAGING BAY AREA STRUTTERS!)

I am happy to coordinate this, even do the whole damn thang, but also realize that I need some help and advice. Additionally, I'm still fairly new here so my reputation isn't as SOLID as say a Bambouche, a BigStacks, an ASPIRIN, a Hogginthefogg, an AlienINVERSION, a peacefulrotation, an OduB; a someone who is basically better known than me. Greater trust and recognition of the coordinating members will lead to more trust in and therefore greater success of this project. PAGING THOSE WHO ARE TRUSTWORTHY and have more than 200 posts to endorse this piece. Beat/art donations could come from anyone.

Thus, this is my proposal--what do y'all think?

gNAT

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    What's up SS morning crew? BigSpliff and I have had simila ideas for raising money for N'awlins...some feedback for either idea would be greatly appreciated...
    gNAT

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    bump!

• still down for whatever...if anything happens, the sooner the better

• girgir 329 Posts
    bump!

what about combining the contest with the cd idea?

there is an entry fee $10-$20 and the top however man can fit on the cd go on the cd which is then sold to provide continuing cash for the relief effort? additionally it allows everyone and equal chance to get a beat on the cd, since they'd be voted for based on the illest beats, etcccccc

holler.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    bump!

what about combining the contest with the cd idea?

there is an entry fee $10-$20 and the top however man can fit on the cd go on the cd which is then sold to provide continuing cash for the relief effort? additionally it allows everyone and equal chance to get a beat on the cd, since they'd be voted for based on the illest beats, etcccccc

holler.

YESS[/b]

Alright! So fuck it, I'm gonna get this piece going and hopefully get some help on the way. We'll start by getting folks to post beats to vote on. Cover art too. MP3s however, need to be able to be posted for at least a week so "expiring files" won't work. Suggestions of sites?

The official start date will be sometime next week. We need to get some chatter here about whooz got beats to post for the contest so that we know there will be a CD to produce. I suppose the MP3s should be somehow listenable but not downloadable else people who get to save the individual beats will be less inclined to purchase the CD.

gNAT

Whoz down?

I'm assuming there is not enough interest to go forward with this... time is the key here I think... whatever we can get going like yesterday is what we should do... the cd thing is cool but you need time and people on roofs dont have time although it would seem. I'm dissapointed but dont take it personal Gnat, everybodys shook right now.

• Bump this again during the work week when many more folks are on here.

• I'm assuming there is not enough interest to go forward with this... time is the key here I think... whatever we can get going like yesterday is what we should do... the cd thing is cool but you need time and people on roofs dont have time although it would seem. I'm dissapointed but dont take it personal Gnat, everybodys shook right now.

Funds are going to be needed for a while, so I think this is still viable. I like the idea of a download for a few bucks and send that thing around the web. CDs and t-shirts are cool as well though. Make the pie higher.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    I am not giving up just yet Raystar...the work crowd may come through--a lot of folks have been away for the long weekend.

Something else occurred to me though, wasn't there a similar compilation that was started a couple of months ago in order to support SoulStrut? I seem to recall something of the sort. If that's the case, then perhaps we can charge an extra $5 on that bad boy and support our very wet southern friends.

Anyway, holler at your leisure...

gNAT

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    bump, an idea I'd like considered. Honest (constructive) criticism and advice is appreciated.
    gNAT

• pacmanpacman 1,113 Posts
    This sounds like a good idea....I'd be down to contribute.

• This sounds like a good idea....I'd be down to contribute.

• girgir 329 Posts

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts