• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    buttrocker!

Is that RAJ?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    buttrocker!

Is that RAJ?

incognito

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    So on Nate's show he was playing this dope joint, and when I called him I was like "Yo son, what is this shit?" He was like "Yo son, this is that Groove Holmes 'Onsayada Joy' joint."

I was like "Yo, I have that joint."

How often does this happen to you? How well do you know your record collection?

Your obviously not a real head who knows the deal.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey AlienIVERSON,

This happens to me all the time. Sometimes it's in the form of songs I hear out, or on mix CDs, and am like, 'damn that's dope! I need that!', or once a-ko sent me this 'secret' break. Turns out the thing was sitting in my collection for months.

The other thing that happens, is I get reminded about some record because of the hotness, and I forget that I actually own it. You ever forget that you even own certain records? Sometimes I forget that I even have multiples of these things. Hence the time when I pulled out 5 copies of Hurdy Gurdy Man.

Peace,
    D.Casta from Itasca

Watch it, sucka!!!!

....just kidding. Carry on, my good man!!!!

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    I was listening to Paul Nice's Breaks 4Days cd for a long time last year, and every time "get thy bearings" came on at the end, I would just think "man, I would do anything to own this song." I even mgot my girl into worshiping it. I assumed it was some ultra-raer basement recording that I would never own. We were cooking one day and for the hell of it I pulled out Hurdie Gurdie and when "get they bearings" came on, she lost a considerable amount of respect for me.

This has happened countless other times. But the worst is when a producer flips something you threw into the "shite" section. I try and go through the "shite" section every 6 months or so just so that never happens again. It happens almost every week though.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I was thinking this SAME thing tonight (kinda). I was listening to "Engine #9" on the way to Target (sorry Tony!) and it occurred to me I never listened to the rest of that album. Now that's blasphemy Mr. Bobo.

damn. come to think. I haven't even listened to the whole album
    me either.

ME NEITHER

[color:white][i]"and nobody in my hood has caught jungle fever yet." [/color]

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    I was thinking this SAME thing tonight (kinda). I was listening to "Engine #9" on the way to Target (sorry Tony!) and it occurred to me I never listened to the rest of that album. Now that's blasphemy Mr. Bobo.

damn. come to think. I haven't even listened to the whole album
    me either.

ME NEITHER

[color:white][i]"and nobody in my hood has caught jungle fever yet." [/color]

and your moms even dated dude!!!!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    i am saying.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    You know what I'm thinking?

I'm thinking that I probably already have the SAMPLE THAT I'M LOOKING FOR  in my own collection, too. Maybe one of you guys can ID it so that I may rest well tonight.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is...

QUIT IGNORING MY SAMPLE EYE DEE THREAD, FOLLZ!!!!

Thank you.

Herm

• The BizarreThe Bizarre San Francisco, CA 23 Posts
    day said:
    Here's some irony for you. I couldn't place this engine #9 reference, did a quick search and found the pic of the Wilson Picket LP.... "wait a minute. I have that!" Been on my shelf for years and I've flipped past it so many times. Dropped the needle on the groove and damn! I swear I had no idea this cut was on there. Ashamed to say I don't even know if I've ever heard it before now.   Thanks, Day.

• Yep,once an awhile,I will play an LP and be like wow,I didn't know I had that.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Definitely done this with breaks/samples... Get an ID only to realise it’s been sat on the shelf the whole time.

The plus side to this is revisiting records you bought as a yung digguer, perhaps with breaks-yo! in mind, and listening to the whole record with fresh ears and broader tastes.

• Man yeah the whole "braeks yo" pursuit and then realizing as soon as I found them that the whole record/artist's oeuvre/entire genre was worthwhile happened to me so many times I'd say most of my music taste came from drum obsession at its root.
    Re: the topic, I think I've accidentally bought doubles like twice ever, but I never owned a ton of records anyway.