WORLD CUP THRAED

Comments

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    I understand the Neymar hate, but I think at this point Brazil are favorites, no?

England's bracket is much easier, I think they're at the same level as Colombia and Croatia, but all three are a little below Brazil, France and Uruguay.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Agreed Brasil, France & Uruguay look strongest for differing reasons.

Yet this WC keeps giving surprises. 

HORRR-EEEEEE SHEEEEET JAPAN!

Mad drama!

Brutal for the Japanese.

what a bonkers second half that was!

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Mad drama!

Brutal for the Japanese.

Wanted them to progress.  They perhaps should have parked the bus at 2-0.  Although Belgium always looked like scoring when Microphone-head one-two what is this came on.

Third goal was superb.  Stepping to the rear to cheer.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Yeah the final goal was amazing

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    entertaining... but if you're this sloppy and put-offy like they were in the first half you gonna get trashed by brazil

I’m a wee bit nervous.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Haha - try to enjoy the next two hours...

HENDERSON IS A DISGRACE TO FOOTBALL
    Duderonomy

Sanchez is an idiot, but that pen was a bit soft and the ref has been shit, is this America's revenge on the World Cup?

(Only very slightly larger text)Its coming home (/ovslt)
    Duderonomy

I feel a mixture of embarrassment and relief. Ugly game, both teams only really started playing football in extra time in an effort to avoid penalties.

Southgate has problems to fix. England didn’t have enough players who were comfortable with the ball to build attacks from the back. Henderson is indeed shit. The forwards had no service. Nothing on the left side of the pitch. The manager needs to make proactive substitutions.

Sorry we inflicted that on a great tournament.

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    I feel a mixture of embarrassment and relief. Ugly game, both teams only really started playing football in extra time in an effort to avoid penalties.

Southgate has problems to fix. England didn’t have enough players who were comfortable with the ball to build attacks from the back. Henderson is indeed shit. The forwards had no service. Nothing on the left side of the pitch. The manager needs to make proactive substitutions.

Sorry we inflicted that on a great tournament.

Ugly game for sure, and the ref seemed to have it in just a tad more for Columbia. Still, an entertaining game, and I was routing for England, so I’m pleased with the result. They’ll beat Sweden and punch their ticket to the semis against Croatia.

Rashford needs to start.  Need something creating other than a set-piece.  But really, an Ibrahimovic-less Sweden are not World Champion material, are they?  I know it's been a cup of upsets, but they looked toothless against the Swiss.

Sweden are always like a non-ruthless version of a typical Germany squad. Well organized but toothless, and this time they don't have an Ibra or Larsson to give them a bit of charm. Still, they're a tough team to beat and I think England will have to step up their game to get past them. Both quarter-finals on that side of the bracket are set up to be the two shittiest games of the tournament (until the winners meet in the semi-final).

as much as I wanted Colombia to go through, they didn't play what they are capable of playing, and missing James was no excuse. Can't really be mad at England though, first time I can remember that they brought a team that's not made up entirely of self-entitled twats.

a friend of mine is now convinced that if England wins this, ska will make a comeback
    ketan

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts

Good luck not getting poisoned with plutonium if you're on Russia's path.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="und" dir="ltr">

FFS, somebody embed this, I can't work out how to do it...

how did you embed that??

Ronaldo is doing commentary on Brazilian TV and there's a quality meme going around where people wait for him to stare off into the corner of the tv and offer him a tray of food but I couldn't figure out how to post it here

On the og twitter page there’s a drop-down top right corner of the tweet frame. I copied link-to-tweet but wasn’t sure that if worked.

ive got that Ronaldo chicken nugget on my phone but no idea how to move that content to here. It’s great though!

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Well I guess they may as well stop taking bets at the bookies now. Locked in my friends. 

Am personally really enjoying the appreciation of Southgate in the international press. Realise this will be short lived but is nice while it lasts. And, to think, were it not for his own stupidity, we would have been watching Big Sam lead us to a plucky exit in the group stage instead of being dismantled by a well organised Sweden it coming home. 

I do wonder at what point people will point out that, apart from Panama and the first twenty minutes against Tunisia, most of our attacking football has been tosh.

I'm more pissed about Uruguay than about Brazil, tbh

at any rate, hope someone gets to pop their World Cup cherry now, and I guess 50+ years without winning one counts too, since you large adult lads don't know what it's like

Was this the same Belgium who Japan were schooling until the last 20 minutes?  Coutinho had some great chances and Kompany was lucky to not give away a penno, but they were so solid.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    coulda been a 3-1 brazil win but all's well that ends well