I can't deny, I hate Spotify

SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
I'm half way about to solve this problem my damn self. Thought I would rant to you guys before I lose my mind. I get how Pandora, and Spotify, Tidal, and Googleplay work. They're too expensive, and they're not worth it. The artists are getting ripped off. The music recommendations suck. The radio stations and playlists suck. I literally am only keeping this app around for Podcasts. Now even when I'm not listening to my own spotify, it's playing at my work, every restaurant, clothing store. 

RICH NERDS ARE RUINING MUSIC. There, I said it. 

< Go ahead Pandora recommend me this shit.

- spidey

Comments

• RhythmGJRhythmGJ Buffalo, NY 219 Posts
    SPlDEY said:
    I'm half way about to solve this problem my damn self. Thought I would rant to you guys before I lose my mind. I get how Pandora, and Spotify, Tidal, and Googleplay work. They're too expensive, and they're not worth it. The artists are getting ripped off. The music recommendations suck. The radio stations and playlists suck. I literally am only keeping this app around for Podcasts. Now even when I'm not listening to my own spotify, it's playing at my work, every restaurant, clothing store. 

RICH NERDS ARE RUINING MUSIC. There, I said it. 

< Go ahead Pandora recommend me this shit.

- spidey

Stole the groove from Andrew Lloyd Weber, and she's no Ofra Haza, but OK...

GJ

• Otis_FunkmeyerOtis_Funkmeyer 1,321 Posts
    I also hated it for a long time but recently I've been giving it another chance and it's really growing on me.  I use the free version and I've been finding, even discovering some great stuff. I use the mobile app and so far the best way I've figured out how to use it is to "heart" a lot of my favorite artists. Their artist recommendations based on other artists are probably their best use. Then, when checking out a new artist, you can either shuffle their whole catalog, or you can view their whole song catalog ("see more") and get samples of any song you touch that give you at least a decent enough taste of what the artist is about. Then when I find good songs, I add them to my own playlists, which is another feature that leaves pandora in the dust (also a 30 million song library vs 3 million).
    i'll also "heart" a bunch of the recommended artists that I'm unfamiliar with so they get added to my artists list. Then, I'll choose an artist at ramdom by looking away while I scroll (throw) the list far up and down and then select one. 
    I know this sounds like a lot of work but it's been working out pretty well for me. My "discoveries" playlist is already 200 strong from this method. 

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    No real strong feelings about Spotify, but already have so much music to listen to I don't feel I need it (especially if I have to pay/subscribe).

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    I will ride for Spotify.

They got the interface right. That is the biggest win.

I listen to it most on long commutes where I am driving and have Waze running so the stereo source is the phone because I need it to audibly tell me where the speed cameras are and if the M1 is fucked.

I don't want to be looking at the phone all the time whilst driving so I let it play me a mix and it's been surprisingly good at finding new shit I like based on what I've hearted before.

To wit:
    Ezra collective
    Zo!
    Georgia Anne Muldrow
    Alfa Mist
    Ashley Henry
    Blue Lab Beats
    Tenderlonious
    Joomanji
    Josef Leimberg
    Some dope Opolopo remixes

I am surprised how obscure it's dug down to and I applaud that. Trick is to play something you already love and chose "Go to Song Radio" which will then queue up a selection based on that.  You can then thumb up/down each track on the "Station" and it will ok improve the upcoming in real time.

It's only the radio station view that gives you the thumbs.

It will then do you a Liked from Radio playlist and off you go.

The economics of the music industry have always sucked, but if some obscure folks are getting put under my nose I am all for that. 
    Otis_Funkmeyer

• fundamentals: bounce pass, jump shot, pick n roll

from a usability perspective, the way I listen to music when on the computer/etc., spotify is by far the worst cause it opens in a separate application from my browser where I'm doing the checking out. also, the way I listen to music is as far from the cafe 24/7 stream system as possible. I can't listen while working, reading etc. as I can either focus on what I'm doing or on background music but not both (and my job requires audio work anyway). so music consumption for me is an active thing I do and spotify seems designed for someone not wanting to have to choose each thing that comes on.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    I've only ever used Amazon Music cause it comes free with prime. I'm trying not to make the majority of my online life one big multi subscription model.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

fundamentals: bounce pass, jump shot, pick n roll

Stratton not the most effusive interviewee.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    ...spotify seems designed for someone not wanting to have to choose each thing that comes on.

Yep.  And when I'm driving, that's exactly what I need.  I know Spldey hatts on the choices it's thrown at him, I was the same initially when all it would suggest was James Brown and Miles Davis, but go for that song radio option and it does get deeper/better.

(Not that JB/Miles is poor, but those are some low-hanging fruits)