OLD(ish) MOVIES YOU'VE RECENTLY WATCHED

para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
edited April 2018 in Off Topic (NRR)
Thor Ragnarok on Netflix. Man, that movie is dope! Maybe the best Marvel movie I've seen so far. 

When does Infinity War come out?

What old shit have you watched recently for the first time?
Duderonomy

Comments

• RhythmGJRhythmGJ Buffalo, NY 219 Posts
    Oh, you mean New Old New Movies.

I just saw "Jumanji" on Sunday. It was OK. Much less screamy-screams than the original, thankfully.

GJ

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    RhythmGJ said:
    Oh, you mean New Old New Movies.

Mountains May Depart (2015) was really great.  Even the ending gets points for following through, as ridiculous as it ends up getting.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    I really enjoyed Ragnarok (but thought Hulk talked too much), weird how quickly cinema releases are available on Netflix etc now. Used to be a year before a cinema release hit video rental, then another year before tv got to screen it.

Not-at-all-old films I've enjoyed recently:

THE DEATH OF STALIN
    This film was sick. Listed as black comedy, it's more black than funny (although is sadly hilarious at times), fucking exceptional cast, brilliant acting, looks amazing, and it's been banned in Russia, so that's Putin's seal of approval right there. Managed to get a DVD quality DL before it had even hit the cinemas here in BCN (which is a shame as I assumed it just wasn't going to be screened here).

Cold Skin
    Was a surprisingly good film about a dude who goes to an arctic island to take weather readings (and escape/leave behind "something" back in civilisation), but shit goes down in an epic, vodka sozzled bloodfest.

...actually old(ish)...

Mr Holmes

Ian McKellan is always worth a watch, and he plays Sherlock in an unusual twist on the character. More a film about ageing and the vanishing of powers (go check Logan for more of the suffering hero if it's your thing), mellow but satisfying.

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    I really enjoyed Ragnarok (but thought Hulk talked too much), weird how quickly cinema releases are available on Netflix etc now. Used to be a year before a cinema release hit video rental, then another year before tv got to screen it.

Not-at-all-old films I've enjoyed recently:

THE DEATH OF STALIN
    This film was sick. Listed as black comedy, it's more black than funny (although is sadly hilarious at times), fucking exceptional cast, brilliant acting, looks amazing, and it's been banned in Russia, so that's Putin's seal of approval right there. Managed to get a DVD quality DL before it had even hit the cinemas here in BCN (which is a shame as I assumed it just wasn't going to be screened here).

I totally agree with your Hulk comment! 

Was curious about Death of Stalin, mainly because the cast is tight. Will keep an eye out for it when/if it hits Netflix. 

I actually watched Logan a day before Ragnarok, and I disliked it. Can’t quite put my finger on why other than to say the theme was highly intriguing, but the execution left me wanting.

The Square is really good imo.  If you liked Force Majeure, then definitely give this a checky-check

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Looking forward to seeing The Square. 

Finally watched mother!

I don't know, I really don't know. I'm generally not the biggest fan of Aronofsky at all but this was truly something else. I don't know how much of it was intentionally funny but the way it became more and more hysterical and overblown was fantastically entertaining, I was genuinely roaring with laughter in parts. It was probably one of the most entertaining film experiences I've had in a long time. I suspect that if it was made by someone who has made less previous missteps this would have been receiving plaudits left right and centre. I don't know if I ever want to see it again but will cherish the memory.

Not the first time but I watched Fire Walk With Me again with a friend who was preparing to enter Twin Peaks Season 3. It was interesting how many images from the film had stuck with me in the twenty or so years since I last saw it. And it actually feels much more one with the new series than the original seasons. Sheryl Lee is truly amazing in it as well.

Alpha Papa.

Have you read up on mother!, Junior?  

I agree, it's a visceral rush but there's an apocalyptic narrative at work apparently.  I only picked on bits of it on my viewing.

We just finished Wormwood and it's five stars.  The last part is fascinating.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    No not yet, I've basically read nothing in depth on it apart from a few spoiler reviews I'd been saving until after watching so as not to ruin the surprises.

Normally I'm all over critical analyses of films that left an impression on me but I've found myself strangely reluctant on this one. I definitely picked up that there was some serious religious imagery going on in there but expect a lot of that went over my head. I also felt the film as a whole could be seen as an allegory for film making with the process of making, adulation, dissection and then starting anew.

I think enough time has now passed for me to start deep diving though so any recommendations on where to start are gratefully received. 

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    So likkle time, so many recommendations...

Duder, pleaease to drop knowledge re: teh skank streaming websites so man can catch up on his Lair of the White Worm and such :Ayo:

For DLs I’ve been using rarbg.com

for streams, subsmovies.com, gomovies.com, or googling the film and “putlocker” usually gets results.
    Jimster

• Haaaaaaaaa,I caught[Creature From The Black Lagoon]yesterday,and loved it,haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    watched Under the Skin, not so recently but it was maybe the last movie-movie I've seen and it had been out for a long while, so I guess it counts as a New Old New Movie.

At any rate, pretty good. Pretty, pretty good.

watched Ex-Machina too not so long ago, it was ok.

• I enjoyed under the skin while I was watching it but felt I didn't know anybody else I'd recommend it to... since I watched it it's faded from memory more than I thought it would, which I guess isn't a good thing.

• GivemesoulGivemesoul 146 Posts
    Mrs.Minerva-Greer Garson

Been getting my Evangelion on, slept on it back when I was in high school because my nerd friends were too into Dragonball and I thought it was along the same lines.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    "When The Last Sword Is Drawn" and "Event Horizon" (one of the better sci-fi horror films of the mid 90s. Too bad about the really frightening lost footage.). "Elite Squad" was cool and so was "Fist Of The North Star", although I didn't care for the subplot involving those annoying kids. 

I remember seeing Event Horizon when it came out and being underwhelmed. I think my favorite from that era is Dark City, but I never revisited it after it came out.

• I was 12 when Event Horizon came out, and the local dump theatre mislabeled it as PG-13 and it scared the absolute daylights out of me and I couldn't sleep for at least a week. I watched it again years later and it still seems like a pretty damn scary movie considering I don't get scared at movies anymore.

I was 14 at the time. I wanted to see it when it opened in theaters, but my mom and I settled on that goofy Alien sequel instead because it was her birthday and she was creeped out by the original when she was a teenager. I didn't see "Dark City" until it made the cable TV rounds a few years later and it really impressed me. I need to revisit it. And see "Cube" for the first time too. 

I was an aspiring film nerd in my senior year of high school, but if I'm not mistaken I had gone on a week-long movies and pain killers binge after I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed at once, I literally sat on the couch all day and watched stuff like Barry Lyndon, Platoon and Solaris while eating nothing but soup. By the time Event Horizon came out I was expecting some mind-bending sci-fi trip, but it's really more of a horror movie. That 4th Alien movie was a huge let down too, I was crazy about City of Lost Children at the time. Another overlooked movie from that time that I remember being badass is the first Blade with Wesley Snipes.

+1 Cube

I also saw Event Horizon later and it didn't really resonate with me.  What this all about?: Too bad about the really frightening lost footage.

ketan said:
    What this all about?: Too bad about the really frightening lost footage.

https://lostmediawiki.com/Event_Horizon_(partially_found_unreleased_130-minute_cut_of_film;_1997)

Speaking of crap sequels in space, I remember it was short lived thing for a while around that same time: Jason in space, Hellraiser in space, even fucking Leprechaun in space! 

Electrode said:
    ketan said:
    What this all about?: Too bad about the really frightening lost footage.

https://lostmediawiki.com/Event_Horizon_(partially_found_unreleased_130-minute_cut_of_film;_1997)

Oh wow.  I think I have that DVD with the bonus footage, actually - don't think I bothered to watch it.  I'll try to dig it out.

LOL:

Supposedly, the cut scenes were found in, of all places, a Transylvanian salt mine, but they had deteriorated beyond repair.[2]

Sounds like some classic digging lore from Frank and dem

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    F*ck off with your "Cube".

Fucker walks out, I'm waiting to see what the purpose of the Cube was, roll credits.

Mentally, I threw my dinner at the telly.

WANKSTAINS!  THEY STOLE THAT TIME FROM MY LIFE!!11!!1!!1one!!!!!!
    ketan

Man In The Grey Flannel Suit..nice story of power in the corporate world.

Gentleman's Agreement-Gregory Peck.

They Made Me A Criminal-John Garfield