Paging Batmon - Black Panther film

DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
Kendrick Lamar OST, some decent early reviews... wut sayest thou?

Comments

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    He's gone all quiet for the last few years.  Probably dealing with the shame of failing to send me a t-shirt.

Same as SoulOnIce.

MANY ARE CALLED...
    RAJ

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    They're on Fakebook now
    DuderonomyJimsterkala

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

Well shit, it looks interesting (Black Panther). I loved the last Thor flick (although too much Hulk dialogue), and so far not bored with Marvel films yet, even if I should be. DC films... well, Wonderwoman was good enough that I forgot it was in the DC universe.

RAJ said:
    They're on Fakebook now

When you diss the Strut, you diss yourself

Well shit, it looks interesting (Black Panther). I loved the last Thor flick (although too much Hulk dialogue), and so far not bored with Marvel films yet, even if I should be. DC films... well, Wonderwoman was good enough that I forgot it was in the DC universe.

Heard it was the most legit "Africa" film since "The Royal Penis Is Clean".  (The bar being so low that a rattlesnake couldn't limbo under it).  Cosine on Thor, way better than the sum of it's parts.

EIGHTY

Jimster said:

Heard it was the most legit "Africa" film since "The Royal Penis Is Clean".  (The bar being so low that a rattlesnake couldn't limbo under it).  Cosine on Thor, way better than the sum of it's parts.

That was a pretty legit film tbf; Reverend Brown FTW.

EIGHTY

• EIGHTYEIGHTY 224 Posts
    "The Royal Penis Is Clean" LOL!!!

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Just watched it last night. Definitely one of the most imaginative Marvel movies of all time. Home run in many ways. 

Strongest Female Characters in an action movie.  

Movie stealing Villain with clear motivations. 

The hidden country of Wakanda was fucking dope. 

A triumph for black film making. Really dope to see a place for black film makers in the MCU. 

Starring James Brown.

GAME OVER. 

- spidey
    Duderonomykala

• OK this is already the superhero movie that my friends who like superhero movies tell me "I know you hate them and I tell you this every year but THIS ONE IS DIFFERENT YOU WILL LIKE IT". They have always been wrong, when I've given them chances.

Are they right this time? Will somebody like this who has never liked even the "THIS ONE IS THE ONE" superhero movies of the past? BP is different because I want to give it a chance but I also don't want assbrun of old.

• OK this is already the superhero movie that my friends who like superhero movies tell me "I know you hate them and I tell you this every year but THIS ONE IS DIFFERENT YOU WILL LIKE IT". They have always been wrong, when I've given them chances.

Are they right this time? Will somebody like this who has never liked even the "THIS ONE IS THE ONE" superhero movies of the past? BP is different because I want to give it a chance but I also don't want assbrun of old.

Haven't seen it yet. I'm usually on ur side, but the sound-track is en fuego and the political context cannot be ignored. I think those two could easily elevate it among the rest. I have high hopes! I'll try to post back here when I see it. 

I'm partial to this song from the soundtrack. This beat has got some nice boom to it. 

OK this is already the superhero movie that my friends who like superhero movies tell me "I know you hate them and I tell you this every year but THIS ONE IS DIFFERENT YOU WILL LIKE IT". They have always been wrong, when I've given them chances.

If you're going to be old at least try not to be so crotchety..

- spidey

• I am the crotchetiest. but yeah the political context (and the context of the character historically) plus soundtrack, plus coogler, have me doubting my oldness...

SPlDEY said:

- spidey

Easier said than done - while I commute my thoughts are increasingly  narky. Not sure whether to put it down to winter blues, commuting, or age. I take a crumb of comfort from the fact that I’m aware enough to try and stop it when I notice I’m running through a mental check-list of things that piss me off though. 

P.S. caught the film, liked it. Of the Marvel films, not sure where I’d rank it:

1. Guardians of teh Galaxy - for the unique approach to blending music with imagery, lots of gags, reminded the rest of the Marvel universe that these films can be lighthearted as apposed to the routinely grim X-Men films. That said...

2. Logan - suffering/declining heros are always a good film subject, this was like a western, and finally he got to show his teeth (well, claws) and we got the blood and gore a Wolverine film deserves.

3. Thor Ragnarok - psychedelic! Less so than Dr Strange, but better music and better jokes.

4. First Avengers film - Loki stole every scene he was in. Even when it involved him being smacked around like a rag doll by Hulk.

5. Black Panther?

SPlDEY said:

- spidey

Easier said than done - while I commute my thoughts are increasingly  narky. Not sure whether to put it down to winter blues, commuting, or age. I take a crumb of comfort from the fact that I’m aware enough to try and stop it when I notice I’m running through a mental check-list of things that piss me off though. 

I stay mentally young, physically healthy, happy and relate more with people who are younger than me. I like to steal some of their energy. Your own mind can really repress you from being the best version of who you are. You have to be more positive to yourself so you can be more positive to life and the world around you. 

- Damo

• After not enjoying so many super hero flicks over the last couple of years, i think i will have to take the plunge and watch this. So many people whose opinion I trust tell me that it is great.

Thor Ragnarok!

• RhythmGJRhythmGJ Buffalo, NY 219 Posts
    Black Panther was great. But so were all the other films in my estimation. I'm an old Marvel/DC head; whaddya want? So I have no idea how others who may not know the source material/care about the genre/generally have any interest will react to it, but from my perspective, it is quality with a great story and characters that people from diverse backgrounds and politico-social perspectives can get behind (it will have different meanings to different people, but if you just watch it as a Black Panther story, it's still great).

IMHO, of course...

GJ 

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Watched it last night and had high expectations based on all the glowing reviews.

Have to say it lived up to them. It wasn't perfect but it was damn fine.

The whole look of it was spectacular to start with and I felt that almost all the characters were interesting in themselves and well rounded.

Great bunch of properly strong female characters and an excellent villain. I was actually on Killmonger's side until the last part.

I thought they managed to weave the political aspect in there without it feel too heavy handed.

Also, while the banter heavy style has been entertaining, it was nice to have a film that didn't exist purely on quips again and actually went for a bit more gravitas.

Thought there would be more of the Kendrick soundtrack in there but still a plus point that I'm pretty sure this must be the first superhero film with a Too Short track on it.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Saw it last night and loved it.  There is so much great storytelling happening all the time. It would be exhausting if it wasn't so well edited and realized on the screen.  The art direction is crazy.  Great use of action.

I randomly ended up in some special screening that was introduced by all those strong female character actors (and chadwick was on the phone).
    Just to say: Angela Bassett remains fine.

**SPOILERS**
    I was a little disappointed that the hero didn't try harder not kill his actual kin who was actually wronged but just sort of went with maintaining the family line for most of the movie. Vaguely alluded to the reality of tribal politics in some African countries but not in a terribly heroic way. Beyond the morality of it, it would have made for some nice future tension if a reformed Killmonger was still around (Michael B. Jordan was typically great in this).

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I thought it was a bunch of average.
    Lost interest about halfway.
    Way too serious. But then I’ve only enjoyed the irreverent examples of the ouvre previously.

skel said:

Way too serious. But then I’ve only enjoyed the irreverent examples of the ouvre previously.

I have to agree with this. It's not easy getting the balance right and I've also enjoyed the ones that are just... funnier. The rhino stopping was the only thing that got a good laugh in the cinema when I watched it. I think if you want to do it serious, it needs to be *serious*, which is why I rank Logan so high. But most of this franchise is about money, and if they make a cert. 18 (not even sure what you call it in the States) they lose a huge chunk of cinema goers. Ah, for the '80s, where the hero would routinely shoot another guy in the face and we'd see his head explode.

It was great to watch though, and some good acting. Serkis without CGI!

Oh wait, the arm.

ketan said:

**SPOILERS**
    I was a little disappointed that the hero didn't try harder not kill his actual kin who was actually wronged but just sort of went with maintaining the family line for most of the movie. Vaguely alluded to the reality of tribal politics in some African countries but not in a terribly heroic way. Beyond the morality of it, it would have made for some nice future tension if a reformed Killmonger was still around (Michael B. Jordan was typically great in this).

Yeah I was disappointed that he wasn't kept in the picture though I guess they've already gone that route with Loki to ever diminishing returns.

He was just a much more interesting character than T'Challa who suffered from a lack of inner doubt or conflict.

skel said:
    I thought it was a bunch of average.
    Lost interest about halfway.

Yeah I felt that they got the balance about right though, at least people actually smiled in this compared to the grimace/constipated grumpiness of the DC movies.

As much as I enjoyed them I felt a bit quipped out after the last Thor and Guardians movie, Not everyone has to be Tony Stark.

i'll admit I don't watch many of the marvel/dc flix, and i've seen some great arguments about the flaws of the story and the relative average-ness of some of the elements (like action). 

there are also many interesting critiques about the film as it pertains to the continent and the diaspora too.  i don't buy them all, all the way (lots of other ways to interpret plot points), but it's definitely making people respond out there.

i largely enjoyed the movie, but like i said above, the morality of the film was off.

:ducks:

*SPOILERS*

EDIT: I give up trying to embed Tweets

the user is Leslie Lee III‏ @leslieleeiii and here are some of his remarks...

Black Panther is a deeply evil film. It dangles the idea of global black liberation in front of you, paints that as villainous, then ends in an orgy of the freest black people to ever walk the earth slaughtering each other to protect whites. That shit turned my stomach.

But Black Panther is a prime example why I don't clamor for movies and shit with good politics, because even great writers are dumb as shit on politics. Let alone a groups of screenwriters taking notes from major studio execs.

Nothing and no one can explain away why a movie called "Black Panther" made black liberation the central evil plot and had a CIA agent as a hero.

I will carry those thoughts with me when I watch it.

#Whiteousindignation
    Duderonomyketan

• RhythmGJRhythmGJ Buffalo, NY 219 Posts
    ketan said:
    i'll admit I don't watch many of the marvel/dc flix, and i've seen some great arguments about the flaws of the story and the relative average-ness of some of the elements (like action). 

there are also many interesting critiques about the film as it pertains to the continent and the diaspora too.  i don't buy them all, all the way (lots of other ways to interpret plot points), but it's definitely making people respond out there.

i largely enjoyed the movie, but like i said above, the morality of the film was off.

:ducks:

*SPOILERS*

EDIT: I give up trying to embed Tweets

the user is Leslie Lee III‏ @leslieleeiii and here are some of his remarks...

Black Panther is a deeply evil film. It dangles the idea of global black liberation in front of you, paints that as villainous, then ends in an orgy of the freest black people to ever walk the earth slaughtering each other to protect whites. That shit turned my stomach.

But Black Panther is a prime example why I don't clamor for movies and shit with good politics, because even great writers are dumb as shit on politics. Let alone a groups of screenwriters taking notes from major studio execs.

Nothing and no one can explain away why a movie called "Black Panther" made black liberation the central evil plot and had a CIA agent as a hero.

That is some seriously flawed critique, bordering on hyperbolated BS of the highest order. No critique could be more off-the-mark, in the history of misguided misunderstandings of characters, plot, and source material. See? Everyone can play.

The hero is not the CIA agent. He is an add-on. 

My sister, 8 years my senior and now pushing... Well, a venerable age, is a recent turn-on to the MCU via Netflix and the movies. She never understood my comic reading and collecting before, even though she is a great visual artist. Anyway, we got into a bit of a discussion where I explained the importance of the source material and I still don't think she got it. Kind of a typical noob response. Almost like looking for "black liberation" from a fantasy film about an African super hero.

BTW, Stan Lee was doing "black liberation" when naysaying revolutionaries where in cotton diapers. Just go see the movie.

GJ

I thought the main political argument of the film was about isolationism. Leslie Lee mk3 sounds just like the “bad” guy - kill whitey!

...but I agree, watching the female vs male Watangans fighting each other was dubious. It didn’t feel like one side was fighting to save white people though, I thought it was about loyalty as much as the competing ideologies. Would they have actually killed each other? Just Shoehorning another fight scene in that should’ve been between the two panthers.

RhythmGJ said:
    Anyway, we got into a bit of a discussion where I explained the importance of the source material and I still don't think she got it. 

Can you ELI5 the importance of the source material?

Kind of a typical noob response.

Location potential (for me).

There's a good interview with Coogler on Democracy Now after he made Fruitvale: https://www.democracynow.org/2018/2/19/watch_black_panther_director_ryan_coogler

He's a pretty clear about using his art to promote discussion and social change.  I wouldn't expect he's trying to put one over on people of African descent.  I think even my problem with it is subject to interpretation - you could say that it's very human to be conflicted about how to wield and maintain your power, but he turned the corner by the time the credits rolled.