PayPal fee and discogs

i know this has been covered here before, but I’m looking for some up-to-date knowledge and experience on the matter. Trying to buy a record on discogs, coming from Europe to the US, and before sending the invoice the seller states that the shipping cost will include the registered shipping, insurance cost, and incl PayPal. When I inquired what he meant by that, he stated that it was for the fee that PayPal charges to do the transaction, and said he clearly states it in his shipping terms. It’s super annoying and I’m pretty sure against the policies of both discogs and PayPal, but does anyone here have any recent experience with this sort of thing? Does either site enforce this? I’m not really looking to report the seller or anything, but want to know if it is in fact totally against policy, or if there are interpetations of the rules that can allow this sort of thing.

half expecting a Selma Hayek.......

Comments

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    It really just comes down to whether you want that record from said dude or not.
    I agree its a pretty crap policy on sellers behalf. He could have just added the 4% to the selling price anyway.
    Not sure if it's against discog's policy, but I would fail to see why Paypal would have a problem with it? 

• This is from PayPal’s user agreement:

No surcharges

You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services as long as the handling fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions.

And this is from discogs user agreement:

2. Payments and Shipping

a. The sales fee charged to you by Discogs cannot be added as a surcharge to the buyer's order total.

b. Sellers are not permitted to charge buyers fees for PayPal or any form of payment processing. Any handling fees should be included in the cost of shipping. Buyers will only be responsible for paying the listed price of items plus shipping and shipping add-ons, such as insurance and tracking. No charges may be added as a percentage to the order total, with the exception of taxes as required by law.

I suppose I have my answer from those two points, I was just curious if anybody had run into this sort of situation recently and to hear others take on it.

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    Yeah, clearly against discogs policy to add paypal fees..i mean, that's just the cost of business.