Post An Ungoogleable Record

Comments

• till now... google'll have this on lock in a week or so tho.

http://cgi.ebay.com/UNKNOWN-PRIVATE-70-U...1QQcmdZViewItem

• This is a pretty common record here in the Bay Area. As I remember it's a pretty decent listen. Think I sold one for about $10 on ebay once.

• This was for sale on Ebay a few weeks ago, meant to big, but forgot.

How is it?

Last Poets, Amiri Baraka type material with music. Recorded in 85, so the production isn't my favorite, but there's a pretty cool Afrobeat cut that I used to start off my Upbeat On Bongo Street Mix. It's the first track you hear on the mix (I added the vocoder and dick gregory speech).

"Swingin Ding-a-lings" makes this one a keeper.

• rpmrpm 144 Posts
    DOPE!
    Thanks for the info.

• The record in the custom stock sleeve in the centre. It's Black Star Ensemble - Portrait of Clifford from 1976. A live recording in tribute to his music with 2 really strong spoken word afro jazz tracks. Marcus Belgrave plays on it. Only reference I can find is on a discography of Clifford Brown as they included his very first recording as an extra track on the record. No mention of the heavy spiritual jazz contained within.

• The key is everybody else[/b] spelling what you're looking for correctly

• subsub 311 Posts
    a thai ep of from a band i never heard of. has four tracks of which two are funk covers and one is pretty dope.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    The record in the custom stock sleeve in the centre. It's Black Star Ensemble - Portrait of Clifford from 1976. A live recording in tribute to his music with 2 really strong spoken word afro jazz tracks. Marcus Belgrave plays on it. Only reference I can find is on a discography of Clifford Brown as they included his very first recording as an extra track on the record. No mention of the heavy spiritual jazz contained within.

I would love to hear this. you got MP3's?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

But this:

is virtually ungoogleable, meaning there is a $249.00 copy on ebay but nothing really substantial in google results.

I do happen to know a bit about it though, it was recorded and distributed 4 blocks away from my house. The address on the back cover leads to a small little blue cottage on NE 9th in the 3700 block of Portland. We live on NE 10th in the 4000's. I met a young kind of slow and sweet gospel loving fella at my bar who moved her from Texas when his mom died. He runs a Soul Food / bakery catering biz out of his Church Basement. He has met and knows Willa still and told me all about her relationship with Mahalia Jackson. Willa still performs at her church here locally every once and awhile and for good causes so that is pretty cool.

The record is by no means a funky gospel record. I'm not sure what it equates to in the eyes of the average gospel fan either, but the dude from Fatboy Bakery thought it was the cats pajamas! I for one think the Picture, hairstyle and font are especially groovy.

I know we have a fair amount of ungoogleable stuff laying around here.....perhaps I'll go through some crates tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

Alice, what was Sean doing at your bar? Sean aka Fatboy was my across the street neighbor for about 10 years until his dad, Tex, moved back to Texas last summer. Tex is first cousin to Archie Bell, who I think is called "Burr" by family members. Tex told me some crazy stories about growing up in 60s seeing Bobby Bland, hitting the whorehouses after work and gambling his pay away. My wife sold their house for them. I truly miss Irene, Tex's wife and my gardening partner, a very pious woman who died of a massive stroke while attending Solid Rock Church on Dekum one Sunday. Great people. A lot cooler than the punk rocker twerps who moved in a few months ago. Sean rang my doorbell last night, trying to sell some of his hard-as-rock brownies. God Bless his soul but I worry for him. He's been couch surfing for the better part of a year since coming back here. He may be slightly retarded, making his long-term employment prospects pretty slim. Also, the boy is clearly gay but remains a devoted bible thumper with dreams of opening his own bakery.

I see your local Gospel and raise you this Stumptown stick-on-cover madness:

• subsub 311 Posts
    a thai ep of from a band i never heard of. has four tracks of which two are funk covers and one is pretty dope.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

bangkok 17 - i am somebody

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ypu9wp

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

Holy Shit!

• you wouldnt think something on this label is un-googleable, but alas:

will finally post audio here in a couple days...its pledge drive at the station, and if I aint here at the shop, im begging for money on the air this week. I hopin with audio this might pull a pretty penny...spiritual jazz funk raer....

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Holy Shit!

I will be looking into getting this as an all over print on a earth toned tee

• here's another, local record titled morris wilson plays morris wilson, i've come across a few of his fantasy islands but i've yet to see another of these, damn good record too

• thanks

Holy Shit!

I will be looking into getting this as an all over print on a earth toned tee

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts

Alice, what was Sean doing at your bar? Sean aka Fatboy was my across the street neighbor for about 10 years until his dad, Tex, moved back to Texas last summer. Tex is first cousin to Archie Bell, who I think is called "Burr" by family members. Tex told me some crazy stories about growing up in 60s seeing Bobby Bland, hitting the whorehouses after work and gambling his pay away. My wife sold their house for them. I truly miss Irene, Tex's wife and my gardening partner, a very pious woman who died of a massive stroke while attending Solid Rock Church on Dekum one Sunday. Great people. A lot cooler than the punk rocker twerps who moved in a few months ago. Sean rang my doorbell last night, trying to sell some of his hard-as-rock brownies. God Bless his soul but I worry for him. He's been couch surfing for the better part of a year since coming back here. He may be slightly retarded, making his long-term employment prospects pretty slim. Also, the boy is clearly gay but remains a devoted bible thumper with dreams of opening his own bakery.

I see your local Gospel and raise you this Stumptown stick-on-cover madness:

That is so Crazy!! He met a couple of my co-workers, Im not sure where, st. johns maybe? He keeps coming in with his menus and to visit with Mo and AZ every now and again. At first Everyone else at the bar was like "who's that weird guy" But I chatted with him for almost an hour one night and that is when we had the whole Willa / Mahalia Gospel Music conversation. He was very intrigued by the fact I even had gospel records. I was very intrigued by the fact he knew Willa. I told him to tell her about my record, which he said he would and I'm sure he did.

I really felt bad for him in a lot of ways. He was just in a couple weeks ago as a matter of fact. I think he has been coming around for about 6-8 months. I knew his mom had passed and she was his life, but I didn't realize she passed away here. His flyers still had texas #'s crossed out with new contacts. The gay thing never occurred to me either, but now that you say that....yeah I could see it. Its hard to tell his mental capacity right of the bat, slow and sweet was the most lazy way to describe him. I am worried for him too, I think everything he bakes is straight out of a box, god bless him and his anti-secular way of life.

That picture is pure facemelt too, I need to make sure a certain someone see this it looks like his twin from another era.

RubbishVisual = I know your in NYC with T*m (Hi!) Hope your having fun.
    But you got to show Reggie this picture when you get back. Uncanny!

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

Corder Family- I'm Satisfied With Jesus

Haven't had a lot of luck finding any info about this one, but the record was so clean it almost looked like a repress, just super clean and sealed. Pulled this off my shelf the other day unopened, can't remember where I got it (johnny?). Anyone up on this one?

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts

vs

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    70's Local Chalmette, Louisiana white boy funk/soul show band....do covers of songs like "I Can't Turn You Loose", "Domino", "Free The People", "Hard Times", "Baby, I Love You" and more.

Did I get a good deal if I found this on gemm for $4 after you posted this?

Yes, that just happened... to me!

• The band !!! is ungoogleable.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Dude. I know.

But it wasn't un-GEMM.COM-able!

Well, it is again now!

• Wanted to revive this thread because today I had an amazing surprise.

Many moons ago, at Reggies in Chicago I found this record in the discount 45 bin: https://www.discogs.com/Patrick-Rodriquez-Misty-Morning/release/5120859 At that time it was ungoogleable and eventually thought to upload the track to my soundcloud hoping it would reach someone who knew more (maybe should have started here, admittedly). Since then someone put up the discogs page but no other info exists. 

Evidently, 11 months ago(unbeknownst to me till today) the record producer from the Netherlands found my page and gave me some info. So incredible that this guy would be looking for this one off single online that he recorded over 30 years ago!! I sent him a DM hope i get a response, despite my delayed reply. Check out the track and his response below. The B side which he mentions is also uploaded to my profile page. Can send a pic  of the 45 cover and record if people are interested.

• RhythmGJRhythmGJ Buffalo, NY 219 Posts

His response said that Rodriguez is deceased. I wonder if you could contact his wife or other family though, for some backstory? I sense a documentary in the making.

GJ

• Yeah, so he sent me a DM with a link to his obituary and said he had a bunch of unreleased material! He said his wife was still living in Texas and that I could track her down if I did my homework based on the obituary. I wish I had more time to dedicate to this. Though, with collaborators, I could probably work on it slowly over a few years perhaps.

This is what he said: "I have several tunes that were recorded by Pat and raw tapes of a Radio interview he did in Europe after his single was released there. Pat was actually a member of the U.S. Army at the time. We recorded his tunes and he left the Netherlands shortly thereafter as I was in talks with EMI in Eindhoven. I won't expound on his life in this box, but he was one of a kind. His life would have made for a great movie. Unfortunately, like many musicians, the demons won. He was a talent and a poet that will go unrealized to the masses. Feel free to ask anything you wish. His ex-wife and family can be researched through following the leads in his obituary."

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    SoundOutLoudDuderonomy

• Those look dope! What do they sound like?