Bicycles

Comments

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    My 1963 Schwinn American Deluxe

rolling through Austin TX on a warm summer night on this thing u must be kidding me it's perfect
    billbradley

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Would love to see that Schwinn with a Lapierre style, stealthy-ish 'leccy motor on it.  Reel in hella lycra warriors on the climbs like they are going in reverse.  They would be weeping into dey crabon frames 4 dayz.
    billbradleydukeofdelridge

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Went on my first trail ride since 2001 yesterday!  Felt amazing, actually.  I might have to do that again...

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    What up Soul Strut??

I just moved to a new apartment and haven't been riding much lately.

Weather in Toronto has be amazing for bikes though... it's cool and crisp in the morning and evenings.  Unusually so.  Normally it's like 100F with 90% humidity at midnight in August.  Thanks climate change!!    

Seeing all these scenic trail photos makes me want to plan some more adventurous rides outside of the city.

rode along the beach and up to a good tree with my dad the other day. it was pretty great: 

billbradley

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    I bought a set of matching blue anodized Araya 20x1.75 rims with blue tires and ACS hubs for the GT. Earlier this week a friend and I rode all over downtown Austin. Some of the hills killed me but it was a lot of fun riding back down. 

JimsterDuderonomy

I am always weary about reaming out the seat tube with a post that far above it, but og BMX kit is timelessly cool.  

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    Jimster said:
    I am always weary about reaming out the seat tube with a post that far above it, but og BMX kit is timelessly cool.  

I should probably lower the seat post but it's much easier to pedal around the hood sitting where I can extend my legs further.

I've been riding this bonkers thing the past couple weeks:

It is insane.
    I really can't put it into words.
    JimsterbillbradleyElectrode

I've been riding this bonkers thing the past couple weeks:

It is insane.
    I really can't put it into words.
    AH the Wolf Ridge.  R£ACT suzz.  It's about £6K here.  Completely off my cost radar.

Not sure about the looks (it's that rear arm) but tell me what it do.

Jimster said:
    AH the Wolf Ridge.  R£ACT suzz.  It's about £6K here.  Completely off my cost radar.

Not sure about the looks (it's that rear arm) but tell me what it do.
    It's a little weird looking in 2017, but high chainstay bikes are old as dirt and I kinda like the look. So I'm cool with it. But you can't see the swing arm when you're riding it, so don't even trip. 

I don't have too much time on 29ers, especially long-travel ones. I've watched a couple friends disappear down the trail a little faster, but it's hard to gauge until you ride one. I guess. 

The thing is just better at anything you want your mountain bike to do. It climbs with no pedal bob--it's so chill they don't even spec shocks with lockouts. It absolutely mashes down. I definitely felt like I was in it, not on it. AYO.

I spent my first few days on some swoopy trails in Bellingham, and the thing jumps. My tendency to brake check (AKA preservation instinct) was counteracted by the mathS, and I had speed by the time I hit the lips. Chill in the air. Doesn't feel 29ery at all. Every person who rides one is smiling at the end, with a few seriously doubting it's a 29er. um LOL

Got it back into town and have been hitting my local trails. It's murdering them. I have discovered it takes totally different lines than my 27.5" bikes, just gobbling up roots and all the dry chunder we're dealing with this summer.

Dude forrealsrsly it is the greatest. Did a beastly ride yesterday with everything: long climbs, raw gnar, and swooptown's 357 flowzone jumpy berm sections. Kinda schizophrenic route that eats up big bike dudes (fitness) and spandex squids (skillz / travel). This mofo crushed all of it. 30lb DH bike that climbs and absolutely lays waste going down. 

And it's all silent--no chain slap with those high stays? Just schmobbing through ridiculous shit. 

I'll have to revert back to my own bikes next week, not sure how I'm gonna do that. I've never had a bike make me want to ride more than this one. SO HYPED!

...buddy gets 325 day terms on sample orders, I should probably tell him to pull the trigger...

• foefoe turo de la peira 196 Posts
    i did not understand half of what you were talking about, but you made even me want to ride it.
    billbradleydukeofdelridgeDuderonomy

Would love to try it. But it'd be like that millionaire doctor I know telling me I could drive his Lamborghini... Going back to my 96 4Runner would hammer home how broke I am.  The wife does enough of that. Also, I know I lack the pro skillzz to truly appreciate the magnitude of its performance envelope.

I did try a full crabon 26 a couple of years back but it was like walking across mattresses on every pedal and my brain was screaming "Wasted energy!" when it was anything other than down and dirty.  I am glad that the game has moved on though.  No Bob is a good thing.

I took my 97 Bontrager rigid out yesterday.  It rides like a dream.  Been in a shed for a year, pumped it up, wiped it down with GT85, it was still silent af.  Like the 4Runner, its charm is its simplicity.  I would hope the Marin would still put a smile on the riders face twenty years down the line... For 6k, you'd hope so
    dukeofdelridge

Rode that motherfucker again today, it still rips!

A few mega-fast dudes rode our local spot on them today, the kind of dudes who document their bike's setup every ride. One dude had his fastest climb ever and was only ten seconds off his fastest descent on a trail he's ridden 50 times. That's pretty impressive, considering he just hopped on and rode a bike with unfamiliar tires etc...

I'm icing my knees for tomorrow. Love riding mountain bikes on these trails y'all!!!

foe said:
    i did not understand half of what you were talking about, but you made even me want to ride it.

Riding bikes is a hoot!

Jimster said:
    Would love to try it. But it'd be like that millionaire doctor I know telling me I could drive his Lamborghini... Going back to my 96 4Runner would hammer home how broke I am.  The wife does enough of that. Also, I know I lack the pro skillzz to truly appreciate the magnitude of its performance envelope.

I did try a full crabon 26 a couple of years back but it was like walking across mattresses on every pedal and my brain was screaming "Wasted energy!" when it was anything other than down and dirty.  I am glad that the game has moved on though.  No Bob is a good thing.

I took my 97 Bontrager rigid out yesterday.  It rides like a dream.  Been in a shed for a year, pumped it up, wiped it down with GT85, it was still silent af.  Like the 4Runner, its charm is its simplicity.  I would hope the Marin would still put a smile on the riders face twenty years down the line... For 6k, you'd hope so
    Bikes are tools for fun. That's it that's all. The dirt hasn't changed! Run what ya brung, especially if you had fun the last time you rode it. Right? I can't see it any other way. 

That said, I think you should buy a long travel 29er megabike.

Jimster said:

Bikes are tools for fun. That's it that's all. The dirt hasn't changed! Run what ya brung, especially if you had fun the last time you rode it. Right? I can't see it any other way. 

That said, I think you should buy a long travel 29er megabike.

90% discount or your (sic) soft.

cheeky bard GIF

9th Annual South Austin Custom & Vintage Bicycle Show

JimsterElectrodeDuderonomy

• djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
    You should visit the People's Republic of Seattle sometime. We have these free bikes called "Limebikes" all over the city so the homeless bums can get around better I guess.
    One asshole left one in the middle of the street the other day and I nearly ran it over. I'm sure many have been stolen for the parts alone. smh

• djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts

djtopcat said:

I love this.

I can't figure out how to use these yet, but more people on bikes is pretty cool. The plan to just leave them everywhere, green yellow orange, I'm not so sure about that part. Not sure it's worth the clutter. 

The London Borisbikes are built with nonstandard sizes on everything to stop people renting them and just parting them out.  Ironically this makes them super expensive, probably cheaper just to have a fleet of cheap gaudy MTBs and wear the loss from theft.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    I finally got myself a proper road bike, a 1978 Raleigh. I was loving every minute of riding it around the local lake while listening to Buffy Sainte Marie's "Illuminations"

Electrode said:
    I finally got myself a proper road bike, a 1978 Raleigh. I was loving every minute of riding it around the local lake while listening to Buffy Sainte Marie's "Illuminations"

riding bikes!

One of my favorite mtb zones is Blackrock, 45 minutes outside of Salem in a tiny logging town called Falls City. Magical dirt and the trails are a blast. Hit it over the weekend with my one of my oldest friends. Twas great

billbradleyMarkusGarvey

Beautiful. That looks like an awesome place to go ride. Everything is so lush up there.
    dukeofdelridge

Beautiful. That looks like an awesome place to go ride. Everything is so lush up there.
    It's funny, because I consider Oregon pretty dry. You want lush? Head a bit further north into Cascadia and you're in actual factual rain forests with towering evergreens. This is the woods to me. Oregon is dry and fast and open, compared to western Washington.

Been a very dry summer in the pacific northwest but the moisture has returned. Showed up as snow last Friday. Perfect inch of snow on the open trails--enough to be snow but no real loss of traction. So sick!

Amazing, really. 

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    One of my favorite mtb zones is Blackrock, 45 minutes outside of Salem in a tiny logging town called Falls City. Magical dirt and the trails are a blast. Hit it over the weekend with my one of my oldest friends. Twas great

Those trails look amazing! Trailforks link?

Danno: It's outside of an old logging town called Falls City. I'm definitely looking to get back in the next few weeks, it's perfect for a day trip from Portland. Cool trails.

Kool pic from a morning last week. Heading to the local trails: 

Winter's apparently coming, but we're already to November without a storm. Leaves have all changed colors but no wind or rain to knock them down, it's kinda crazy.