Instagram Ads. Out of control.

JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
Srs doe, I used to report all sponsored posts and never got ads foisted upon me after that.  But last week they have just gone nuts.

I mean, I know it's free and popular so people are going to try and make a buck off it, but I am about done with it as a result of this.

Can we all just come back to the Strut as our #1 shit talking socialway?

Comments

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    Damn, you're right. It's pretty bad now. I haven't been using it as much lately but it's like every 5th post or so is an ad.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    It's really hard for me to get invested in Instagram nowadayz. While the ads are a small part of it. The fucking algorithm really pisses me off... I really dislike when I'm checking out your guys pics and seeing shit from 6 days ago (But not seeing the 10 newer posts, until like 6 days later!)... Just give me back chronological order please!

A few weeks ago a good friend of mine was in town and I see a post on Instagram and think wicked, let me hit him up. Turns out the post was from 5 days ago and he's gone. Fuck you Instagram.

That all said, I do enjoy you fools posts. So, it brings me back.

Side note.

Fuck clowns that add me, so I check them out and follow back and then they unfollow me to keep their ratio low. 10,000 followers and only 50 follows. I now block these fools.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    I was really disappointed when Instagram changed the feed from showing as a timeline of when things were posted. Now it shows you what it thinks is popular. Facebook does the same thing and it's equally annoying. At least Facebook gives you the option of changing the feed back to Most Recent from Top Stories.
    DOR

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    Totally agree chronological order was the ish.
    The algorithm feed is stupid as hell. How is a computer going to tell me what I want to see first?
    The ads just make me stop using it as much. I feel violated and it just makes me log out. IG stories seems dumb to me as well.
    There are still cool record posts so I'll keep using it. 
    FB feed is annoying as well. I have to keep changing it to recent posts multiple times a day, but yeah at least they give you the option.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    YouTube is getting REAL bad too.  
    nzshadow

• Reynaldo82Reynaldo82 NorCal 73 Posts
    Screen-shot or clip the ads and use the content in your own agitation propaganda. Take their own fire hose and make them drink out of it 'till drowning occurs.
    ketanDOR

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts

Screen-shot or clip the ads and use the content in your own agitation propaganda. Take their own fire hose and make them drink out of it 'till drowning occurs.
    Muthafuckin' Rey... He playin' chess, while all us other fools playing checkers.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Mandems will long for the forums. 

Feeds are coming like a parade of spam folder escapees.

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    That and the whole "LOOK AT ME I GIT COLLECTABLES" thing is douched 

• Sometimes I want to communicate without sharing a photo or video I took on my phone and without limiting my character count. I believe one day there will be a platform that can accommodate this. Unfortunately that day was in like 1996 and now everything has to be owned and monetized by either google or facebook. I'd much rather ad money came to some schmoe running a small website or whatever
    DuderonomyScuba Steve

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    if you're using a computer to access instagram try ublock origin for your browser.

• Reynaldo82Reynaldo82 NorCal 73 Posts

Smfh

Maybe they were stockpiling Ad cash to deal with the data-laundering charges?

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/mar/20/facebook-data-cambridge-analytica-sandy-parakilas

Duderonomy

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Yeah, this weeks news was the excuse I needed to quit Facebook.
    dj_cityboy

I'm on FB but with a fake ID registered to a BS email.  I never share anything and keep the comments to a minimum.  The constant ads are a real deterrent to visiting often. 

Not that I've done it, but the experience must be akin to walking down a Benidorm bar-strip where every bar has a plugger outside offering you 2-for-1 dog-piss cocktails in return for 10 minutes of watching strangers behaving worse than animals.

GTFOOHWTBS.

I am also considering doing the same with LinkedIn, esp. if you work in any aspect of IT Security, having all your background available to "Vladimir и им" can't be a good thing.

It's difficult to have any sort of level of privacy these days. Whether online or in public due to the amount of cameras on every corner. I probably shouldn't use my real name on here but after being on Soulstrut for this long it's kind of too late at this point.
    JimsterDOR

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    I use FB to keep in touch with family/friends I not near anymore, and there's really no substitute for peripherally knowing that many people over time (I barely have free time to take care of my children and keep on top of work!).  I feel like I'm in too deep now.  But maybe I'll just do a reset and come back on with a fakie.

Remember to delete everything you've ever liked or commented, because deleting your account won't also delete that. They still own it.  I had a script and it still took 3 days and I was not really an information nudist.
    billbradleyDuderonomyDOR

Here is what others can see. Keep in mind that users can tag you, so even though it isn't showing up on your account, it is possible to cross reference your friends and families accounts for information also. 

(Places Visited)
    (Recent Places Visited)
    (Places Checked-In)
    (Places Liked)
    (Pages Liked)
    (Photos By User)
    (Photos Liked)
    (Photos Of -Tagged)
    (Photos Comments)
    (Photos Interacted)
    (Photos Interested)
    (Photos Recommended For)
    (Apps Used)
    (Videos)
    (Videos Of User)
    (Videos Tagged)
    (Videos By User)
    (Videos Liked)
    (Video Comments)
    (Future Event Invitations)
    (Events)
    (Events Created)
    (Events Invited)
    (Events Joined)
    (Posts by User)
    (Posts by Year)
    (Posts Tagged)
    (Posts Liked)
    (Employers)
    (Groups)
    (Co-Workers)
    (Friends)
    (Followers)
    (Relatives)
    (Friends' Likes)

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Jimster said:
    Remember to delete everything you've ever liked or commented, because deleting your account won't also delete that. They still own it.  I had a script and it still took 3 days and I was not really an information nudist.

I’m doing it manually (quite cathartic) as I’ve only had an account for 4 years and didn’t post much.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I was an Instagram early adopter. Pre-Zuck. I used to like the way it was a view into someone elses world. There seemed to be an unwritten rule that you only shot with your phone and that was it really. I followed some random kids in Moscow, some diggers in Tokyo, a girl who collected seashells in NZ. It was fun.

If todays instagram was on offer then, i never would have signed up. The online marketers took over and ruined it. (I should know, i used to be one), it's a clusterfuck now. and im still there, looking at pictures of watches ill never afford, records ill never find, and posting pictures of my garden.

I had a point there somewhere.

billbradleyDuderonomysticky_dojah

I used to enjoy the fact that they were all phone shots, just to see how far phones had come, but they are giving out awards to shots that reek of thousands of pounds of DSLR and software.  I'll use a bit of HDR if the light is shit (in the UK the light is always shit) but really never spend more than 60 seconds on it.  It defeats the object.  The DSLRs take awesome pics but it's not really what the platform was conceived for. 

Also you have to wonder if someone actually likes your pic or whether they just select all the comments at once and do a bulk "Like".  That's why I try to drop in an actual comment when I can.

I do still enjoy the randomness of it though.  I have a Japanese truck and follow some nutters there and in Russia who have took it to the next level (in Kanji, of course).  I like how you can find people who have tagged your old obscure stomping grounds and the fact you get random people following you back.  Sergio Mendes?  Is it really him or some favella tea-boy doing the clicks?

I'm on less for two main reasons. Having a kid and work have me bogged down and the loss of chronological order have it so I feel like I'm being shoveled shit on the daily.

The only reason I go on much now is to search out friends and you fools posts. But it so much damn work without straight up chronological order...

Apologizes on my part of dslr post. Photography is one of the few hobbies I have left, so it's a way to still keep going and not just fall in nothing but cell phone shots. Tho, I no longer have a dslr... Mirrorless yo! Less weight is great!!!!

Chronological order is what I miss most.
    nzshadow

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    Chronological order and not seeing sponsored content. Really killed it for me.

Jimsternzshadow

• spcspc 534 Posts
    The thing is, someone has to pay for all the it infrastructure and the developers and the maintenance of instagram. If something on the internet is free, most of the time you are the product and paying with your personal information.

I'd pay for an ad-free, chronological service.  

Jimstagram launching next week, just need a small loan of £10,000,000.

GibboDOR