Rooftop djing troubleshooting

girgir 329 Posts
Not sure if this is the right place for this, but djing with the crew on a rooftop and trying to mitigate any issue with wind. other than stabilizers, any recommendations?

Comments

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    the right kind of kite can create a fun vibe
    girJunior

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    matching windbreakers?

gir

• girgir 329 Posts
    ketan said:
    matching windbreakers?

well i thought the matching ones we had were cool...

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    gir said:
    Not sure if this is the right place for this, but djing with the crew on a rooftop and trying to mitigate any issue with wind. other than stabilizers, any recommendations?
    Chance of rain? Wind shouldn't be so bad, but really you want to keep rain out of your drink.

• RhythmGJRhythmGJ Buffalo, NY 219 Posts
    Assuming that the question is serious, and that the gig hasn't happened yet: Yes, rain (and lightning) are the more serious issues. But if you have a lot of paperwork (notes, announcements, set list, lyrics if you're singing, whatever), a little musicians' trick might help. Use a heavy duty music stand, and get a couple of pieces of unbreakable glass or heavy plexiglass and put it on your paperwork on the stand. That way you can read but it won't blow away.

You can weigh equipment, tables, etc. down with weights or bricks/cinderblocks. Speaking of plexiglass, if you are really looking for a "windshield," you could try putting-up and playing behind a plexiglass drum shield. It would need to be weighted down somewhat. A secondary benefit is as a physical "no request" barrier between DJ and audience: https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&channel=iphone_bm&site=&source=hp&ei=WS9TWfmvEITjmAHByI3oCw&q=drum+shield&oq=drum+shield&gs_l=mobile-gws-hp.3..0l5.1511.5139.0.6552.12.12.0.5.5.0.139.1177.10j2.12.0.crnk_qsds...0...1.1.64.mobile-gws-hp..0.12.784.3..41j0i131k1j0i10k1.niMWVb-pQo0

GJ
    ketan

• The BizarreThe Bizarre San Francisco, CA 23 Posts
    Are you playing vinyl? Beware of the sun. I highly recommend a tent or some sort of coverage.

• RhythmGJRhythmGJ Buffalo, NY 219 Posts
    ^^^^Yes!  Is guess I thought that "it goes without saying," so I didn't say it, but rain is a drag for audio gear, and too much sun is bad for you and as posted above, vinyl records can get warped on the spot...

GJ

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    physical "no request" barrier between DJ and audience