2015 Macbook Sound Input Ideas...HELP?!!!?!?!

Any of you own a Macbook 2015 or later and have any ideas on how to record sound?  

The headphone jack doesn't seem to work as an input and I'm stumped as to what my options are!

https://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/specs-2015/

Comments

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    You need to look at digi audio interface like Apogee depending on what you want to record.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    I'm guessing you'll need something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATR2USB-3-5mm-Adapter/dp/B00I6ILPPC

We use these at work, but they are kinda expensive.

https://griffintechnology.com/us/imic

rcwinkly

• rcwinklyrcwinkly 102 Posts
    I bought this, but it didn't work:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I6ILPPC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not sure if the UGREEN is much different, but I guess I could try before I spend on a pricey USB audio component.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

I live with Mac acolytes, so forgive the rant but the only advice I can give is don't use Mac as their business model revolves around making the customer bend over and take it in the ass... with an expensive Mac interface because Macs aren't compatible with ANYTHING but Mac products.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    rcwinkly said:
    I bought this, but it didn't work:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I6ILPPC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not sure if the UGREEN is much different, but I guess I could try before I spend on a pricey USB audio component.

I'm surprised that Audio Technica thing didn't work - I use something similar on my MacPro to record from a shitty microphone. You may have to download a driver for it, or check your sound input settings in the system preferences. Sometimes these things are wonky and they need to be plugged in when you boot up your computer, too.

• foefoe turo de la peira 196 Posts

I live with Mac acolytes, so forgive the rant but the only advice I can give is don't use Mac as their business model revolves around making the customer bend over and take it in the ass... with an expensive Mac interface because Macs aren't compatible with ANYTHING but Mac products.
    they are buying a box that just works and any apple product they connect also just works..
    i am an Mac hater and i still have to admit that this is a good counter argument.

foe said:

they are buying a box that just works and any apple product they connect also just works..
    i am an Mac hater and i still have to admit that this is a good counter argument.
    It's not a counter argument to the fact they purposely make their products incompatible with everything. My flat mates are running Mac Books. No HDMI port, you need an expensive adapter. iPhone 7 has no headphone connection, so it's the Mac approved, or an expensive adapter. Good products, vastly overpriced for what they are ("Ohh, but the tech will last 8 years" - the tech will be OBSOLETE in 4!), no longer unique in what they can do... take it the ass (with an adapter)? No thanks.

yes. you pay to make it easier. i would never buy a mac, but i can't knock it when people prefer it because it is basically a console. if you want to do something outside of the scope of what Apple think you should do you you are fucked, just like a console. unless jailbreaking, but that kinda defeats the purpose of a mac.

on a pc you are limited to how well your components communicate. different companies are often agreeing about standards, but even then they might make it slightly different, making small issues appear. Apple said fuck that, everything should work perfect and customer needs to pay for it. 

this is not new, this has been a conscious decision by Apple made over 20 years ago. 

Reading that back I sound mad salty 
    It's the smug elitism that comes with Mac acolytes that grates.
    Mek_Jagger

nah man, it's all cool, i feel you.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    Reading that back I sound mad salty 
    It's the smug elitism that comes with Mac acolytes that grates.
    you don't sound salty, you sound poor!!!!!

speaking of being poor, I'm mad salty that these new MacPros cost 3-4x more than the old ones. Fuck that shit. Add the exchange rate, tariffs, and shameless profiteering by every business conglomerate in Brazil, and the MacPro down here costs the same as a brand new car.