The 2017 RIP Thread

Comments

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    RIP Jonathan Demme

don't some people here ride for Stop Making Sense as GOAT concert film?

Jimster

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    RIP Jonathan Demme

don't some people here ride for Stop Making Sense as GOAT concert film?

Who could forget his under appreciated masterpiece Something Wild.

RAJ said:

Who could forget his under appreciated masterpiece Something Wild.

masterful use of the flip transition!
    RAJ

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I've been thinking about Silence of the Lambs a lot recently. I'm not quite sure why but a number of  scenes from the film have been popping into my head and encouraging me to go and revisit it. It took me a long time to appreciate how beautifully balanced it is and one of those moments when actors, director, cinematographer and script writer peaked simultaneously. Kind of amazing how grotesque the story is when you drill down to the nitty gritty.

It also has a great soundtrack.

RIP Demme.

• trzakhstantrzakhstan IA 198 Posts
    I don't know anything about Belchior, did he have any songs that sound good today?

I don't know anything about Belchior, did he have any songs that sound good today?
    Everything!!!

Belchior was more in the singer-songwriter vein, like a Bob Dylan meets Pablo Milanes type thing. It may be hard to explain his appeal without understanding the lyrics, but his songs were brutally honest and intimate and he never shied from addressing the fear, dread and depression of the dictatorship era - not in the metaphorical sense like Chico Buarque, but just straight up talking about it. Just about everyone I know was bummed out by his death. I think it helped his appeal that he basically disappeared from public view a few decades ago, and his whereabouts was a source of constant mystery, sometimes he'd turn up in Uruguay or some small town in southern Brazil, despite being from Ceará. He also had an epic feud with Fagner, where they started out as songwriting partners then had some kind of falling out and would break out into knife fights whenever they crossed paths. He also had one of the top 10 moustaches in Brazilian music.

all his albums have good songs, but this one is considered his best:

RIP Col. Bruce Hampton.  Died on stage.

• djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
    RAJ said:
    RIP Col. Bruce Hampton.  Died on stage.
    I always wondered if there were any open drum breaks, or cool samples on that Hampton Grease Band album? Never bought a vinyl copy, always was $20 or more at the record shows even 10 years ago. 

While twitter is distracted by some kind of breaking news or something, one of the great Italian trance producers has succumbed to a mystery disease. Years ago, I came to terms with my trance music phase from the nineties and I was just getting back into some of the stuff, now comes the tragic news that Robert Miles is no longer with us. He is in the eternal dance party in the sky now

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Right in the feels... RIP Big Black!

Do Work Son!

DOR said:
    Right in the feels... RIP Big Black!

Do Work Son!

Sad.  That was a great show and him and Rob had great comedic chemistry.  RIP!
    DOR

RIP Rev Jim Jones and Johnny Ringo- Powers Boothe
    highly underrated actor. 

This is going to be another bad year for losing music legends fellas......  :(
    RIP Seattle's own Spoonman- Chris Cornell  (Soundgarden/Audioslave/Temple of the Dog) 

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_OBIT_CHRIS_CORNELL?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-05-18-08-06-52

This is the first SHOCKER of 2017.  I can't tell you how much Soundgarden's music meant to me back in the 90s (especially Louder Than Love and Badmotorfinger).  Cornell had one of the most powerful and iconic voices of the decade (rivaling Jeff Buckley).  He was an incredible song writer as well.  I heard the death was suicide which may seem surprising but with singers with that much talent and torment in his voice, you have to be battling some sort of demon.  RIP.

Now twitter says Italian/Brazilian Irio De Paula

ketan

• countmaculacountmacula 196 Posts
    Cool article written today about the time Gregg Allman crashed my sister's block party in Savannah.

http://people.com/music/gregg-allman-dead-georgia-engagement-party/

RAJ

What was the one rap song from the nineties where some guy drops a

Duh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh, BATMAN!

right into the verse?

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    ^ don't remember, but RIP to the best Batman.
    Duderonomy

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    What was the one rap song from the nineties where some guy drops a

Duh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh, BATMAN!

right into the verse?
    KMT feat. Giggs off of More Life
    Edit: 90s? Aven't got a Scooby about that one

Now twitter says Prodigy of Mobb Deep.

Now twitter says Prodigy of Mobb Deep.

It's true.  Complications from sickle cell.  RIP.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Terrible news - so young.  What a legend.  RIP

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Man that is horrendously young.

RIP to a rap legend and a highly entertaining commentator on rap music. The white people talk in lower case still makes me smile today.

RIP Phil Cohran

ketan

Chris Wong, better knows as Fresh Kid Ice from 2 Live Crew.
    DORDuderonomyketan

RIP Filmaker legend George Romero. Some of his horror strks have some sick samples.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2017/07/16/night-living-dead-creator-george-a-romero-dies-77/483118001/
    DuderonomyppadilhaJimster

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Martin Landau.

So good in "North By Northwest".

89.  Not a bad innings.
    ketan