The 2017 RIP Thread

Comments

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Wrassle In Peace George the Animal Steele. 

• DOR said:
    Can we give the drummer some?

Anyone got some good live clips?

RIP

I found the "There Was A Time" I'm raving about. The rest of the concert sounds like Mr. Brown told them all they had to play their hour long set in 40 minutes cause he had the shits or something. The tightest band ever playing in hyperactive mode. The song transitions are serious too - ZERO gap between this track's abrupt final note and "Try Me" that follows.

The late Mr. Stubblefield, ghost-noting a runaway train with his left hand:

DORketanDuderonomyJimsterminikems

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    R.I.P. Larry Coryell

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

With no disrespect towards the reason Electrothug's other wrist is fucked, for me I'll remember Stubblefield for Give It Up Or Turn It Loose. Such a great break.
    Jimster

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    With Clyde, among the obvious Funky Drummer sample-inspiring-a-whole-genre stuff, and the killer recordings of Cold Sweat, Mother Popcorn etc., the thing that sticks out for me (as a shitty drummer who obsessed since age 12 over him, Bernard Purdie, etc.) was the 90s released live CD of James Brown live in Dallas 1968, "Say It Live And Loud".

They play what seems like 130-160bpm for the whole goddamn concert. There's an unbelievable version of "There Was A Time" on this that will make you drop a enchirito out of your crackass, in the words of ap. The ghost notes on that still give me wrist pain and I don't even come close. Every non-ballad is played so furiously and with so much snare grace-note depth it damn near presages 90s jungle/dnb records. Put that concert on and listen to "I Got The Feeling". I am not a James Brown completist but I haven't heard anything like that before or since. That is an overheating band and some unbelievable drumming driving it all.

In particular "There Was A Time" on that concert has driven my own feeble attempts at drumming way more than Funky Drummer or any of the famous Stubblefield recordings. The man is a personal hero for me and an enemy of my left wrist.
    I will deffo check this.  I know the precise feeling of hearing masters playing at a clip that mortals struggle to behold - This sounds like, to the JB canon, what "Four and More" is to the Miles canon  The band argued right before they took the stage and they go at the numbers like rabid dogs.  It's like the 4 x 100m relay.  I still listen to it regularly after more than 20 years - my personal favourite album of all-time.

http://www.jazz24.org/2014/02/argument-fueled-miles-davis-celebrated-1964-live-album/

kems

Leon Ware.  Pfffffffffffffft. Got to meet dude not so long ago, was in good shape.  Thanks for the music.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    just learned Leon Ware co-wrote this song:

RIP!

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts

It's been said before, but this one hurts.  RIP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OY93q8h83E

J - I met him too but more like 12 years ago.  Super chill and friendly.  Short as hell.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Oh no... RIP Bill Paxton.

You Spit in This?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Man, I was just listening to Paxton on the Marc Maron podcast. Seemed like such a great and interesting guy. Really enjoyed the episode and a big fan of him movies.

RIP

• djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
    "Game over man" BP only 61 damn...

Also the original People's Court- Judge Joseph Wapner RIP :(

• wasn't paxton the only guy to get killed onscreen by the trifecta of a terminator, an alien and a predator?

Fuck, Paxton was great in, most recently, Nightcrawler, but he always brought a relaxed but quirky demeanor to his roles. RIP

I remember BP's quirky role as the redneck ex-military serial killer in The Last Supper. Kind of wish he'd actually broken Ron Eldard's arm lol

• Hideo Ikeezumi, record store owner and founder of the immense PSF label, dead at 67. Huge loss.

• trzakhstantrzakhstan IA 198 Posts
    Okay, now Chuck Berry is trending.

• Okay, now Chuck Berry is trending.
    I'm waiting to see if Little Richard makes it past midnight.  Kind of an Adams/Jefferson thing.

RIP Chuck.

RIP Chuck Berry.  OOOOOOUCH.

Rip the crazy Armenian drummer from the legendary band Boston Sib Hashian :(
    Croaked on a cruise ship and not from the bad food.

RIP, was jamming the more-than-a-feeling drum multis.

The Boston debut has and will always been my shit.  I own it on tape, vinyl, vinyl 180 gram, CD, 8 track, FLAC....  It was an album I knew note for note on guitar including the Hitch a Ride solos... introducing me to the art of cocked wah sounds.

I remember being a young buck and seeing Jim Norrison rocking this t-shirt with spaceships and fire and thinking how cool the art work was.

The music backed up the art work too with Tom Scholz making crazy outerspace music with his guitar and those Brad Delp vocals were like woah!

RIP!  

• trzakhstantrzakhstan IA 198 Posts
    It was news to me, and only eleven months after the fact, but singer and percussionist Papete from the Brazilian state of Maranhao passed away in May of 2016.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    It was news to me, and only eleven months after the fact, but singer and percussionist Papete from the Brazilian state of Maranhao passed away in May of 2016.

I'm not sure if I missed this or forgot about it.

This is one by him is one of my favorite records, it's always on rotation at my house:

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Damn man... Charlie Murphy.

RIP

Toby Smith, co-founder of Jamiroquai and consumate keysman, dead at 46.

http://liveforlivemusic.com/news/toby-smith-jamiroquai-dead/

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

Prog Rock giant, Allan Holdsworth dead at 70. 

- damo

Gutted. Seen him x amount of times, he was Van Halen before Van Halen. Hella chill dude.

RIP Cuba Gooding Sr

ketan said:
    RIP Cuba Gooding Sr

Sad situation.  Apparently they found him slumped down in his Jag overdosed?

RIP.