A Special Request (Reggae / Jungle R)

sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
Where does that sample stem from that's been used in countless Jungle songs? The one with the digital noise and the voice saying "a special request"? Any Jungle/Reggae heads here in the know? It just escapes me right now...thanks in advance...

Duderonomydj_cityboy

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    I love Smokey Joe. Just want to get that out there.

It's one of those samples that's widely used yet I have no idea where it's from.

Bit like that ghostly hip-hop cry (I first heard in the Gravediggaz).

Think there's a "special request" in this too

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    I dunno if it was just a popular saying or what the deal is but soooo many old Jungle track have "special Request" samples in them, I think the clip below uses the same sample (??) but at a different pitch (slower) at the start of the track...

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Yes, it's been so widely used...a more recent usage for example that is not Jungle is the Souleance Track "Mais Um"...but what is it? A live recording from Jamaica? What's the original source?

^^ I have no clue the source regrettably, which doesn't help the cause in effect, but after reading your comment I remembered another track with the same sample I believe (??)

this was a floor filler back in my "rave days" lol 3:11 mark "special request" time stretched out

Duderonomy

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Rodigan. Half of his charm is hyping up the next tune.

Doesn't Rodigan sound more "british"? Hmmm...any UK heads in the know here?

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    there you go:
    dj_cityboyDuderonomy

holy shit I caint lie I and multiple other people looked and dug for this sample all weekend and boom there is it.... that TOPKAT is off the meat racks yo... loading Cool Edit pro now and hitting record, damn, and the "Body Look good" sample and "Rock Wild" sick

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    https://www.discogs.com/Top-Cat-Request-The-Style-Glamour/release/430765

Looks like this it.  Thanks!! I've always wondered myself.

While Top Cat has been used in countless jungle tracks too, it's not the one with the digital noise that's been used in tracks like the smokey joe one. You can clearly hear that it's not Top Cat. I assume it must come from some soundclash tape. The quest continues....