Tempo for Tots

rcwinklyrcwinkly 102 Posts
edited February 2017 in Music Talk
Hey Guys,

I'm making a children's funk mix and have a grip of material to include, but am wondering if there are any major pieces of the puzzle.

I think I have most of the U.S. stuff covered, but I'm know there's a grip of ill stuff from England and abroad that I'm missing.  Any guidance would be appreciated...mainly looking for titles and/or high quality mp3s if people are willing to contribute...

Comments

• djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
    Are you specifically looking for kids records with breaks/samples? I think there was a Kids breaks comp awhile back, but these are what I remember. 
    I'm sure there's tons. 

Mike Curb-Mickey Mouse March
    Stark Reality
    Wood Brass & Steel-Kidbits theme  (Detroit)
    Hap Palmer kids drum record-forget title
    Jewish kids sing along record- ill drum break
    Electric Company lp
    Play School-Bang on a Drum UK
    Banana Splits (Barry White)
    That dope "Peas Porridge" drum break which could be from one of the above but I forget, hope that helps

rcwinkly

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    you can probably find good quality mp3s of this record to download:

rcwinkly

• Thanks topcat...any chance you know the name of the Sesame Street record that KMD Humrush sample is from?

djtopcat said:
    Are you specifically looking for kids records with breaks/samples?   MAINLY, but also anything funky

Jewish kids sing along record- ill drum break  (YOU KNOW THE NAME or HAVE ANY MP3s?)

• ppadilha said:
    YES!!!  That is the type of stuff I need...

• You've accounted for the ol' sesame st pinball number song right?

That Pease Porridge break is ridiculous, record is Harrell & Sharron Lucky

• You bet...Pinball Number Count and Peas, Porridge for sure!

Just need some more of those Playschool tunes from the UK.  Any leads on high quality mp3s of those would be much appreciated.  Shipping LP from the UK costs way too much =(

ppadilha said:

Lol wtf? Talk about a blatant rip off of Sesame St! The blue anorexic Big Bird is hilarious...

rcwinkly said:
    Thanks topcat...any chance you know the name of the Sesame Street record that KMD Humrush sample is from?

djtopcat said:
    Are you specifically looking for kids records with breaks/samples?   MAINLY, but also anything funky

Jewish kids sing along record- ill drum break  (YOU KNOW THE NAME or HAVE ANY MP3s?)

Humrush sampled one of the Bert and Ernie records, I don't remember which one

The Jewish record is like a 70's "Kars for Kids" organization record there's actually a couple different ones with sick breaks.
    One of the Youtube beatheads had a snippet on his compilation drum break discs he sells
    Self pressing rare a f*** now deals. You might have to ask the walking break dictionaries like Shadow,Kenny Dope or Supreme, haven't seen a copy in 20 years. If I can find in storage I'll rip it. There's a Christian kids record on the same label as The Music Machine that has some funky stuff too.

Also don't forget Fat Albert-Halloween "mudfoot" and the Scooby Doo break. Bang on a Drum was a BBC series so you should be able to find it on soulseek or something easy.

djtopcat said:
    ppadilha said:

Lol wtf? Talk about a blatant rip off of Sesame St! The blue anorexic Big Bird is hilarious...

I'm pretty sure it was an acutal licensed version of Sesame Street in Brazil - Vila Sésamo is what the program is called down here, they show it dubbed in portuguese. I think this was a short-lived attempt at making a domestic version, but at least they got Marcos Valle and Azymuth to do the music!
    rcwinkly

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    I'm looking forward to this mix!

• djtopcat said:
    rcwinkly said:

PLEASE HOLLAR if can find in storage I'll rip it! There's a Christian kids record on the same label as The Music Machine that has some funky stuff too.  I'm happy to trade or send you something ill in return!

Is the Scooby Doo break the one Doom flipped for "Hey!"?  If not, which break is it?

I got Bang on the Drum, but I know there's an Ollie the Octopus break and Baa Baa Black Sheep break I'm missing from UK records...

Here's a link of the progress I made this weekend:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/n7cjn3x13mzgo7n/Tempo For Tots Pt. 1.mp3?dl=0

Much more work and parts to be added...

• ketan said:
    Here's a teaser and it'll get MUCH better:
    ketanDuderonomymixlikes

remembered two more Brazilian ones:

Saltimbancos, classic kids LP by Chico Buarque. Maybe the more rockin' one at 17:04

and this classic roller skate boogie by A Patotinha

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    WTF was that awesome euro track that had a youtube of kids in a kitchen getting down to this low-slung proto boom-bap '70s weirdness? It was poasted here in a thread about favourite unknown tracks or something, and I think maybe on a French OST with some realer headz claiming it can be found on a 7". Not sure if it counts for this thread, but I want to hear it again anyway.

I smelt it, but didn't dealt it. I'm thinking @DOR.

• Got a bunch of work done today since school was cancelled...getting more and more hyped to share:  

DuderonomyMek_Jagger

Hahah, dope break!
    Mek_Jagger

• Sunshine & Snowflakes (40 Kids singin' at christmas)

I totally forgot about this break as I have it filed in my "holiday" section...thanks for the reminder.  If it doesn't make volume 1, it'll definitely be on volume 2!!!

I still can't figure out who this is...any help strutters?

• ask the uploader - it's the same guy who sells the funk break cds on another youtube channel. 

https://twitter.com/funkprovida

• I have some much material that I'm going to have two volumes.  Here's how the first volume has turned out...still have finishing touches to add, but nonetheless:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/99je9n8mhd3sscw/Tempo For Tots.mp3?dl=0

Duderonomykalaketanppadilha

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    cool mix
    did you do this with serato/mp3s or vinyl that you collected?

• Whoa, how'd I miss this - great work on it! Really well put together.
    rcwinkly

• did you do this with serato/mp3s or vinyl that you collected?
    It's almost entirely from vinyl except for a few albums that I could conger high quality mp3s from like "Vila Sesamo" & "Bang On A Drum"...

• rcwinklyrcwinkly 102 Posts
    The mix is officially done and here it is...please download, share and hit me up if you have any contributions for the next volume!

peas,
    hopper
    aka rcwinkly

https://www.mixcloud.com/rcwinkly/tempo-for-tots-a-childrens-funk-mix/

DL:  http://www.mediafire.com/file/ot6pt6kf4dzdgom/Hopper_Tempo_For_Tots.mp3

DuderonomyMek_Jagger

Excellent work! I'll give this a listen tonight

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    Awesome!

I liked the little snippet of De La at the end of 3 Is The Magic Number! A great track though. There's a real poetry to numbers, wish I understood maths to really get the supposed "beauty" of equations.

• I forgot to tell you after hearing the WIP, the finished product is great too. Fantastic work Hopper.

• rcwinkly said:
    ketan said:
    Here's a teaser and it'll get MUCH better:
    Thanks for sharing the link. I was really needed it.
    mixlikes.com/buy-mixcloud-plays 

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    There's a real poetry to numbers, wish I understood maths to really get the supposed "beauty" of equations.
    Google the "Lorenz attractor".  Then this dude, who sussed the bigger picture:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitchell_Feigenbaum