Dexter Wansel - Life On Mars cover location

billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
A couple years ago I came across this photo and wanted to know where it was taken because it's the location used by Dexter Wansel for his Life On Mars album cover. After some quick research I found that it was taken by Steven Siegel in the 1980's in New York at 127 John St on the corner of John and Water. Pretty cool to see the location from a different perspective in the last photo.

ketanppadilhakicks79RAJBeatnick Deeinnersource

Comments

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    Wow, i always wondered where that was. 

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    I've seen a few photos taken there.  Even other album covers I'm sure.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    Next time I'm in New York I want to stop by there and take a photo myself.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    that's dope, I don't have this album in my collection (hard to believe I've never came across It) but its cool that you found the location I always thought it was "some setup" just for the cover art.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    Jimster said:

Hall & Oates album insert

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    The setup at 127 John is long gone, it's now a residential building called 200 Water Street. 

Blondie:

Early NYHC band Kraut:

Jimster

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Jimster said:

Hall & Oates album insert

Wow.

Just, wow.

DUDE... I'm like, having my breakfast here.
    billbradley

asstro said:
    The setup at 127 John is long gone, it's now a residential building called 200 Water Street. 

That's too bad. The installation was really cool. 

• From the photo it gave me more questions than answers. What kind of installation was it? Just "come check out this cool hallway I made" in some foyer or something?