Microsoft Surface Pro 4 - What is the best sampler / beat making software?

SPF40SPF40 Boston, MA 6 Posts
Hey y'all.  long time DJ / record collector looking to make beats via sampling my vinyl on my new Surface 4 w windows 10.  WHAT SHOULD I DOWNLOAD?? 

Comments

• SPF40SPF40 Boston, MA 6 Posts
    Damn, no replies.  I thought this was going to go bananas, LOL.  Hats off to you, internet.

• Really depends on want you want to do.
    A good platform that suits many levels of experience and approaches is Ableton.
    https://www.ableton.com/en/live/

can be used in so many different ways from super simple to super technical production.
    it is also open to peripherals such as drum pads etc.  

• I use Cubase and find that very good, but have also used Logic which is great too.
    the learning curve on those 2 can steep, but I found Abelton very intuitive and easy to start using immediately.

and then you totally go and redeem yourself, internet!  .... lol... thanks guys!

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    honestly I am still using Cool Edit pro for editing samples and from time to time my MPC2000, I have been a long time user of Acid Pro (since back in the sonic foundry days) and I find it beyond easy to use for multi-tracking if that's the next step)

I live by the motto "if its not broke don't try to fix it" and have a hard time convincing myself "its time to upgrade" I haven't tried many other programs because what I use now is working for me at the moment..
    SPF40JectWon

• Nothing wrong with Cool Edit and Acid for sure!
    That with Fruity Loops was my initial set up for chopping and looping and arranging.
    I see Ableton as a (very) advanced version of Acid.

If you do just need something to chop breaks / samples to fire off to an MPC or the like, then yeah, just a simple audio editor like cool edit or Audacity will do the trick.

SPF40

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts
    honestly I am still using Cool Edit pro for editing samples and from time to time my MPC2000, I have been a long time user of Acid Pro (since back in the sonic foundry days) and I find it beyond easy to use for multi-tracking if that's the next step)

I live by the motto "if its not broke don't try to fix it" and have a hard time convincing myself "its time to upgrade" I haven't tried many other programs because what I use now is working for me at the moment..
    I still use Acid Pro too.  I'm not sure if a program like that would be stable on a Win 10 Surface Pro, BUT I will say I haven't had issues with it running on my laptop.  

...there is a definite void in music software for the surface!  its a great machine!

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts

Man, I think I'm going to go back to acidpro.  I've dabbled with ableton many times and I find it's tough to effortlessly zoom in and out on samples to fine the right splice point.  Also, turning 'snapping' on and off in a way that doesn't break the beat is just not as easy for me with ableton.  

I don't know why I've fucked with it so much when I could have just used acidpro for those things.  I like the ease of using midi devices and some of the sounds that can be created in ableton but that's about it.  

If anyone has good resources for getting the most out of ableton, please let a dude know...

@spf40 I don't have any experience in making beats with a surface but I do have experience in supporting them at work.  I imagine the touch screen use will be almost nil; when it comes to the finer points of beat creation.  Lemme know how if works out for you...