One of the first songs you remember liking

Comments

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    I know this is lame, but "Don't Worry, Be Happy" by Bobby McFerrin...

damn I was a cool kid...

(imagine pig tails and "do-do do do dido do do do doooooo")

I could see how a kid could like that song.

Luckily when it came out I was old enough to know how awful it was.

I still dig it and the video...

i need to get out more.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Cosine on Captain & Tenille "Love Will Keep Us Together". I went to visit my dad when I was 4 (first time on a plane myself) and he had the 45, which I must have made him play 10 times a day. He ended up sending it home with me. My dad was a jackoff who I rarely saw and he died a few years ago so I have almost nothing of his. But I still have that 45...

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I know this is lame, but "Don't Worry, Be Happy" by Bobby McFerrin...

damn I was a cool kid...

(imagine pig tails and "do-do do do dido do do do doooooo")

I could see how a kid could like that song.

Luckily when it came out I was old enough to know how awful it was.

I still dig it and the video...

i need to get out more.

That song was great. As a matter of fact, I loved the whole lp when it came out.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I got a vague memory of playing musical chairs to Kool Moe Dee's "Wild Wild West" at my friend Melahns birthday party.

I won the game and decided I was a Kool Moe Dee fan after that

I got my first stereo when I was nine (1989) and as soon as I had it set up I turned to Power 106 and Bobby Brown's "Every Little Step I Take" came on. It was such a big deal to finally have some music in the house, the only music I would get before ths was my deaf dad putting the radio on and listening to some static-filled signal cause pops wasn't exactly looking for stations, just some sort of vibrating.

long car trips sucked!

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    rolling stones - play with fire
    michael jackson - bad

born in 84

• My mum used to sing me an Irish lullabye when I was still just a toddler, I remember it distinctly. The feeling of being warm and safe, with Mum's long blonde hair shining from the streetlight through the lace curtains. She was absent for alot of our growing up (being a high powered business woman, and the major bread winner in our family) so it's nice to have that memory to come back to.

In terms of recorded music, I remember being nuts over Ring Ring Ring, in my first year of school.

• sesame street theme song.
    some of you are bullshittin!

why?

i dont know. i feel like some people are trying to look cool. picking tracks that make them look like they been listening to cool music since they were toddlers. where are the "Itsy Bitsy Spiders" and the "Jack n Jill" nursery rhymes?

I was, dude. And I got my moms records with my self inflicted gouges and scratches to proove it. I can still hear her voice. "TITO! Don't touch the records!"

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

One of the earliest joints I liked was:

"Fly, Robin, Fly"-Silver Connection (on 45rpm).

I was 5 years old.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Kool & The Gang, "Celebration":

It was the Oakland Raiders' fight song in 1980, the last time the team went to the Super Bowl before Al Davis became the most hated man in all of Oakland. I was two. The 45 was on heavy rotation on the Playskool turntable. The song marks an important, bittersweet moment in my family's history, to say the least.

Los Angeles Raiders = more tears, less Coors beer.

• Puttin' on the Ritz

Loved that song. Still do.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    My first concert ever was the Jackson Victory tour '84.

GIANTS STADIUM.

I cant remember, but it was probably something that wound up and stuck to this side of my crib so i would shut the fuck up and go to sleep.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    When I was five I would beg my dad to play that Bob Marley song about pajamas.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Flamingoes "I Only Have Eyes For You"
    KILLER!!!
    shubiddybop...

• First one I remember liking was "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" by The Beatles. I also remember my first crush ever in the 3rd Grade (Kim Cousins of Hopewell, NJ where are you now?). I thought the song "Day After Day" by Badfinger was written about us! I still get choked up when I hear it.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

Two of my first favorites were Newcleus "Jam on it" and U2 "Sunday Bloody Sunday"

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    When I was five I would beg my dad to play that Bob Marley song about pajamas.

ME TOOO! "pajammin, pajammin...i wanna pajama with you..."

That was the only way I would get ready for bed...

And I thought I was the only one.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Robbie Dupree - Steal Away
    Rolling Stones - Miss You
    Queen - Another One Bites the Dust
    Boz Scaggs - Low Down

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    I was 4 when Boogie Oogie Oogie came out. Loved that track. 

• mateomateo 163 Posts
    I have two.

i remember playing this and imagining leading an orchestra and specifically waving my hands in the direction of the instrument I wanted to bring in. 

Psk
    this is another around the same time. I was probably 7-8 years old. Complete opposite. I remember thinking it was so weird to me. Mostly because I never heard rap before. I wasn't sure what it was but I started loving it. A classmate gave me a tape with this and the Grease soundtrack on the flip. 

• First-first, I am told by a reliable source that I used to dance to "Beat It" as a 3-4 year old.
    Then Stevie Wonder Sir Duke, and the Harder They Come soundtrack.
    First stuff I liked on my own (i.e. wasn't just playing on my parents' stereo) that I can specifically recall is like...
    Kausion - What You Wanna Do?
    E40 and the Click Slurricane
    E40 and the Click Scandalous

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Papa oom mow mow, Persuasions.
    On the road again, Canned Heat.
    Magic, Olivia Newton John.

• foefoe turo de la peira 196 Posts
    james brown - i feel good

this made me go apeshit as a young un

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    My sister and I would listen to Bridge Over Troubled Water (the album) in its entirety over and over again.  We loved it.  I haven't listened to it in decades at this point.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    some of these answers seem a little too cool for school.

I remember finding this in my Dad's small pile of 45s and playing it over and over. 

I have a strong memory of this song, although i'm not entirely sure why I dont remember owning a copy

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Okem said:
    I remember finding this in my Dad's small pile of 45s and playing it over and over. 

My 6 year old twins love that song and ask me to play it on the way to school in the mornings.

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    Sesame Street's "Pinball Countdown"

JimsterDuderonomy

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Okem said:
    I have a strong memory of this song, although i'm not entirely sure why I dont remember owning a copy

Ironic given the title.

You want the deep uncool?  My dad would spin us these 45s:

There was also Puff The Magic Dragon, but that has a heart-wrenching end.  I can't bring myself to post it; it's too son, thun... Too soon.

b/w

Y'alls is mad young.

• horsy2horsy2 2 Posts
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - Give it Away
    I think I was five or six

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Had to be something from Sesame Street. The pinball number count was obviously amazing, but even the theme music was great for me. I think I was also into themes from Teh Red Hand Gang and Banana Splits.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

My my mom said she would bump these while I was still wombed up. She wound up letting me have them by age 3 to play with my Fisher Price. The were my first two records and therefore still important lps to me. I used to stare at the H&O cover completely mesmerized. Like "wow they're playing guitar inside a spaceship that has Ritz crackers".

what was the first record you broke?
    actually that needs its own thread...