Independent labels

Any indie labels you feel is putting out quality music consistently? 

Comments

• Ximeno records.

peace, stein...

• From a modern funk 45 angle, I like Funk Night Records Detroit, Colemine, and I think Truth & Soul has turned into Big Crown Records. Oh and ATA Records is a british label doing really interesting things (Sorcerers, etc.).

• Just realized I forgot a few on the "modern 45s" category that shouldn't be neglected, mostly in soul and funk and afro:

Philophon is fucking cool as hell and really consistent. Started by Max Whitefield of Poets of Rhythm/Whitefield Bros/Malcouns, heavy African stuff on 45.

Pepite has put out like 3 45s all of which are great, but the last one especially is killer and probably impossible to find now. He should be pressing 1000 not 300.

Kept records in Canada has some ridiculous releases.

Hope Street Recordings from Australia is about half corn and half heat.

Mocambo in Germany. Tramp. Daptone. Timmion. uhhh... yeah. There's loads of indie labels doing good records now... I recently was like "ahhh I can't own every 45 I want from all of history" and kinda started focusing on the much more affordable stuff from the past 20 years, hence the loads of retro-ish labels.

Bit sick of pricey re-issues of hip hop records, commemorative 45 box-sets, etc. now though.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Electronic/dance music is full of indie labels, but it's also a genre of singles and artists flit between all the labels with bewildering speed, so it's difficult for one particular label to stand out or have a real consistency like they (appeared to have) in the '90s...

At present I will usually check

Planet Mu
    Ninja Tune
    Deep Mehdi
    1080p
    Innamind
    Green Bay Wax
    Church
    Mood Hut
    Aus
    ...and a gang of others I can't remember.

• Soul Junction Records :-

http://www.souljunctionrecords.co.uk/index.html

Soul Junction Records was formed in 2008 by John Anderson and Dave Welding.

Who since then, have been steadily building an exciting and varied catalogue of new and previously unreleased soul and funk releases for you the record buying public’s delectation.

So please do take a look around our website, it's full of information about all our previous and current releases, whether on vinyl or CD. You'll find all the relevant information as well as sound-clips relating to each release.

We think we've got all the information contained herein, but if you require any further information please contact us via the details on the Contact Us page.

Want to buy direct from us? If you can't find a stockist local to you then then we can accommodate, use the details on the Contact Us page and you'll soon be the proud owner of a Soul Junction Record. 

• Oh yeah, and F Spot records out of Los Angeles I think is putting out some good soul 45s, I forgot. 

Afro 7 has done some great reissues on 45 recently.