Dennis Coffey vs. Galt MacDermot

para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
Which funky old white dude reigns supreme?

Galt for me!

You?

Comments

• Overall achievement Macdermot. The Nucleus, Hair, etc. are great. 

Dennis Coffey has a stronger individual song, but aside from those "next scorpio" and "scorpio again, but different this time, please buy this 45 too", doesn't have the same depth. 

Then again, "Scorpio" made it on Soul Train and I imagine no Galt tracks did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV3Al6CdmUQ

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

Hey,

I'll go with Galt, better quality and more compositional depth than Dennis.  I think Serge Gainsbourg and David Axelrod could easily be added to your list.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

para11axDuderonomy

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    Coffey was/is a fantastic guitarist, but in terms of musical craftsmanship, it's McDermot by a mile.
    Duderonomy

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    apples and hash pipes man
    you guys are comparing a first call super accomplished sight reading session guitarist who played on hundreds of soul tunes on Motown [with the funk brothers] golden world  and LOT's of micro labels who then went on to release a decent run of solo LP's with singles that charted as high as #1 and became ghetto breakbeat anthem [scorpio] to a piano player/soundtrack/show tune/broadway/off broadway composer.
    It's really a disjointed comparison but as a guitar player I will have to side with DC.
    the_dLJimsterMek_JaggerstratasphereThe Bizarre

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    kala said:
    apples and hash pipes man
    you guys are comparing a first call super accomplished sight reading session guitarist who played on hundreds of soul tunes on Motown [with the funk brothers] golden world  and LOT's of micro labels who then went on to release a decent run of solo LP's with singles that charted as high as #1 and became ghetto breakbeat anthem [scorpio] to a piano player/soundtrack/show tune/broadway/off broadway composer.
    It's really a disjointed comparison but as a guitar player I will have to side with DC.
    Interesting interpretation to the question! I totally agree with your assessment.

As for the question itself, I wasn't very clear.

I guess I was looking to see which stack of records people would choose between:

a) a pile of all of Dennis Coffey's records, or

b) a pile of all of Galt MacDermot's records.

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    Can't say I have a lot of Galt.
    What are some LPs to look for?

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    BallzDeep said:
    Can't say I have a lot of Galt.
    What are some LPs to look for?
    This is the big one:

This is also worth grabbing:

And this:

He's done other stuff, but these are the 3 biggest ones in my opinion.

• dennis coffey

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    I guess I was looking to see which stack of records people would choose between:

a) a pile of all of Dennis Coffey's records, or

b) a pile of all of Galt MacDermot's records.
    That's more or less how I interpreted it.

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    Never seen those Galt records before.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    You need Nucleus up in that Galt list.

I'd hang onto Coffey if I had to choose.... dude was raw
    para11ax