April 18th - International Record Store Day

DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
www.recordstoreday.comGo show your fav store some love!I grew up a good portion of my life in record shops. Some of my earliest memories as a kid were sitting on a stool behind the counter and being handed the hottest new tracks and putting them into a bag and pressing down the hot press to seal the bag. I was maybe 6 or 7...I have a million stories and a few I've shared on here. Like when my uncle got stabbed over a Donna Summer LP to a chick pulling off her top and dancing to some house music. Our employees looked like deers in headlights and when I turned off the music, she just put her top back on and walked out like nothing happened.Anyways, I miss the days when every DJ in the city would come hang on shipment days looking for hot new promos. They were the days when you would get to see everyone and shoot the shit.Now we hang out on a board, which is kewl & all. But damn I miss those days.Toronto people - You can vote for your favorite independent record store.http://radio3.cbc.ca/http://radio3.cbc.ca/polls/?pollId=10

Comments

• We're participating in this. Kind of a cool idea, kind of sad too in a way. Sometimes I feel like working in a traditional brick and mortar CD/LP store with new and used stock is like working in a VHS only video store. Working on borrowed time.

One of the record stores in my neighborhood just closed this week, there's a big sign in their window now that says "Technology Killed My Record Store".

Shelby Lynne

"You can't roll a joint on an iPod - buy vinyl!"

MCF

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    We're participating - http://www.somrecordsdc.com/index.html
    eventhough every day is record store day around here!

• Scuba SteveScuba Steve @steveislikewoah 40 Posts
    Who are these people?

I spend a lot of time in record shops and don't see them any other time...

Do they even listen to records?  Stockpile and flip on Ebay?  I don't understand waiting in line for hours for a free bag full of $10 in crap?  All these records become available for retail a few weeks later, i just don't get it???

Venting.... I wanted to hear the new live JB album this weekend, but gave up after hitting two spots.  Oh well, will arrive tomorrow, for no mark up.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Discogs just had a blog about how most of these people are speculators!

Fuck 'em.

Sorry to say that this shit is going to crash big time a la 90s comics, 80s baseball cards, etc.

• PicklesPickles 67 Posts
    prices are reaching all time highs..dont think we need RSD to add to this equation...hell every day is RSD anyway...

• I appreciate trying to rope in people who aren't otherwise into it enough to go to stores any other day, but I'll go to a record store any day I damn well please and if I miss out on a 35 dollar double LP, that's life. But if shops are making 6 months worth of profit off this one day I'm wary of moaning too much.

It is stupid that RSD major label reissues fill up pressing plants to the point where J-Zone drops a second post-retirement album on tape and CD in April, and goes "vinyl is coming in 2017, the plants have eight-month backlogs"

I see people on my facebook etc. saying "just bought some records and I don't even have a turntable... I am the worst person tee hee". I wonder how much RSD clientele are like them? What is the point?

Most of all, why do they all seem to want "Rumours"?????? 

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    I thought I'd try it this year for the first time and gave up after an hour in a line that barely moved. 

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Hmmmm, maybe not such a bad time to go digital. Are raers selling, or just pop?