RIP Leon Haywood!

willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
one of my favorites for a longtime now. i think the first track that caught my attention was "Daydream". or might've been "Don't Push It..." he had this sound that i love that i associate with southern soul singers who transitioned well to the funk/dancefloor game in the late 70s/early 80s. (i think of Johnny Guitar Watson––fellow houston cat i think?––in a similar way)

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    No Leon , No Snoop, No Dre, No Eminem....

RIP
    Duderonomy

• My band ugly duckling recorded our first e.p. "Fresh Mode" at his eve-jim studio on crenshaw. Got to spend a lot of time with the man. He was an amazing story teller, a realist and brutally honest. He said he did well in his career but got crazy paid(over a million dollars) from "she's a bad mama Jama". Also said g thing made him multi-millions.

• His track "tenderoni" is one of my all time favorite songs.

peace, stein...

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

Hey,

On top of being a great singer (fantastic voice!), Mr. Haywood was a heck of an arranger and producer as well.  I love the following two songs which I have featured on a couple of my mixes over the years:

I featured the original 45 version on Fat Fish Records.

RIP, Mr. Haywood.  Your imprint on the music world will not be forgotten.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak