Anderson Paak

Anyone feeling this guy?

Surprised there hasn't been any talk around here about dude -- I'm really enjoying Malibu, and a few off the older one caught my ear, too. Apparently he got signed to Aftermath and the Stubhub prices for his last show in NY (at SOBs) were off the charts, so I feel like he's about to blow up. 

Then again, I was raving to a few friends and most came back to me a little lukewarm, so maybe it's just my ear. Speak on it, Soulstrut.

Comments

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    Andrerson .Paak is the truth.

I believe there was a bit of discussion about him a few weeks back...or maybe I'm dreaming that up with my 'daylight savings time' addled brain.

• Beatnick DeeBeatnick Dee beatnickdee.com 71 Posts
    Super multi talented dude. Malibu is a great listen and some of his older stuff is very dope too. The story about Dre listening to Suede 3 times in a row is cool... Very refreshing voice!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I'm pretty  

But I like what I heard on his soundcloud page....

smatterings of D'Angelo and Soulquarians.

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    I like suede and linked up with Knx. Both tracks sound like a breath of fresh air. 
    His album was okay. Didn't really grab me as much except for the schoolboy Q track.

• foefoe turo de la peira 196 Posts
    RAJ said:
    I'm pretty  

But I like what I heard on his soundcloud page....

smatterings of D'Angelo and Soulquarians.
    i hear people call what him and other people are doing as post dilla stuff, but i guess they need to simplify the world to make it less intimidating. i havn't listened to the album, but he had some heat on his soundcloud when i last checked.

• djwaxondjwaxon 411 Posts
    Anderson Paak and Raury are my main new discovery listens (late to the game)

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    definitely feeling everything I have heard, love the different approaches to production on the newer album too.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    I doth ride.  

Took me a minute to give em' a proper listen.  

I adore this jawn:

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    djwaxon said:
    Anderson Paak and Raury are my main new discovery listens (late to the game)
    Yeah, I've enjoyed both myself too. Solid debut from Raury, hoping he can keep developing the sound on the next one.

Really liking how Paak mixes rapping and singing on Malibu, and the production is nice and varied. Took me a few listens, but I can vibe on that album front to back pretty much. 

And yeah, the NxWorries EP is what caught my ear first. Link Up, Suede, and Droogs are all my shit. 

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    fuck this semi muso jiggy neo soul fusion jiggy R&B shit - throw his ass on the Divine Styler pile.

JectWon

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    bet yall rode for this shit too
    httpsuploadwikimediaorgwikipediaen223Arrested_Development-_Zingalamduni_-_album_coverjpg

JectWon

staxwax said:
    fuck this semi muso jiggy neo soul fusion jiggy R&B shit - throw his ass on the Divine Styler pile.

So, no to this?

And this?

Do you even party?
    JectWonBeatnick Dee

ha ha Staxwax needs to party 
    btw i like divine styler ... 

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    staxwax said:

Haha.  You sound like the human embodiment of a timberland boot that is just screaming "Dead ass, b!  Dead ass, b!  Dead ass, b! Ayo, Dead ass, b!"  while people are trying to listen to something other than fundamentalist boom bap.  

But...goddammit...you're right.      
    Beatnick Dee

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    staxwax said:

bet yall rode for this shit too
    httpsuploadwikimediaorgwikipediaen223Arrested_Development-_Zingalamduni_-_album_coverjpg

Oh!?  I still like this record.  A white-guilt staple!

• For my TL/DRers:
    The music's all right, but pretty, churchy dudes who flutter their voices and their eyelashes while saying "b*tch" a lot can seldom crack my crust. Pass.

Otherwise:
    Eh, I don't know. There's been a new one of these rap-informed flow/classic-soul aesthetic/"...but the boy can sang!" type dudes every couple years for about the last twenty years (D'Angelo is probably the aardvark of this whole shit). They make a nice bright spot for a little while, women nod their heads while trying to resolve the ambiguities, men nod their heads without trying to resolve shit, the dude discovers that Sly Stone had records before Fresh and/or drops his own two-hour Songs In The Key Of Ego, and he's straight CDBaby by the next time the year turns cold, by which point there's a new dude coming up anyway.  

I can enjoy this stuff in moments and in its cultural moment--in these fragmented and isolationist days and times, I'm almost always happy when some non-trash thing is getting exposed to and enjoyed by a lot of people at the same time (to me, Anderson .Paak on Colbert or whatever is cool just like ninety-nine-cent cd singles of "Caught Out There" on impulse-buy display at Walgreens' counters was cool)--but having lived through so many iterations of this phenomenon, it's a little like cut flowers, you know? I enjoy it for a little while, and try not to think about it too much (I almost always fail on the latter, which almost always queers the former, but oh well).

I fully support, by the way, each year's listenership's renewed belief that This Year's Dude is Thee Dude. This is, in many important ways, what it means to be a music fan, and I'm really not as mad as this is probably making me sound. I'm just maybe gonna check in with dude a little further on up the road, is all.
    RAJUnherdDuderonomy

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    I can't hang

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

"Bitch, you're my bitch unless someone else calls you bitch, only I can call you bitch, 'cos you're my bitch, not their bitch, my lovely bitch"

Really? This guy is teh truth or is this guy actually a black/"urban" Spinal Tap tribute artist?

Some of the beats are good though.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    I have this ready to play for the first time but now feel as if I've "Read the last page" already.

I'll ask wifey to pump it in her whip and see what it do.

Her judgement is always harsh but fair.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    suede is a bonafide classic..it gets great reaction and has huge crossover appeal
    the lyrics are meh but

the schoolboy q song is all about producer Pomo who yall chec as well if youre into the kaytranada sound

pcmr said:
    the schoolboy q song is all about producer Pomo who yall chec as well if youre into the kaytranada sound
    Is this the same Pomo who did this?

https://m.soundcloud.com/bastardjazz/pomo-blue-soda-part-4

pcmr said:
    suede is a bonafide classic..it gets great reaction and has huge crossover appeal
    the lyrics are meh but

Really digging Kaytranda's edits and boiler room mixes.
    Will check out Pomo