2016 - The great Boomer Die Off ?

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
Holy shit.

We're a couple months in and we've lost Bowie, Glenn Frye, Mott the Hoople drummer,  Lemmy, dude from Tower of Power,  American Breed guy,  REO Speedwagon shredder.

Is the hard partying of the 70s and 80s catching up to these people?  Or is this normal aging process.  Decades of coke and alcohol abuse coupled with all nighters and touring couldn't have done these people well.

Facebook is one big eulogy right now.

Comments

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    Add Clarence Reid (Blowfly) to the list too. 

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    I guess they could have squeezed out a few years more If they would have gone to bed early, had eaten clean food, cut out the booze and the drugs, stopped smoking amd worked out at the gym five times a week.
    I highly doubt that Lemmy would have traded more ten years for this kind of lifestyle.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Time for a Strut deadpool?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Time for a Strut deadpool?

I'm going with David Attenborough and Keith Richards.

Keith Richards.
    The Internet will collapse when this happens.
    para11ax

• I guess they could have squeezed out a few years more If they would have gone to bed early, had eaten clean food, cut out the booze and the drugs, stopped smoking amd worked out at the gym five times a week.
    I highly doubt that Lemmy would have traded more ten years for this kind of lifestyle.

this post sums it up.. read about the lifespan of working musicians not that long ago and essentially it boils down to the above.. In other words #MamasDontLetYourBabiesGrowUpToBeRockStars

RAJ said:

His name was Robert Paulson.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Which elderly musician is currently living the unhealthiest lifestyle? Can someone hold a candle to Lemmy and Blowfly?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    RIP Otis Clay

• the 2 folks whose death will freak out the boomers more than anybody else will be Bob Dylan & Mick Jagger

• the 2 folks whose death will freak out the boomers more than anybody else will be Bob Dylan & Mick Jagger

Wrong.  When McCartney dies the cute one death wail will trigger earthquakes.

• leofromvermontleofromvermont Steve Halpern's glovebox 30 Posts
    the 2 folks whose death will freak out the boomers more than anybody else will be Bob Dylan & Mick Jagger
    Good lord, it will be Dylanpocalypse here when Bob dies.  

Keith Richards death will destroy facebook... if he ever dies.

There was a SNL skit with folky lounge singer (Dan Aykroyd?) "This next song is by my good friend, the late great, Bob Dylan".

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    it's like there's people dying that never died before
    NINO_209

I was thinking of including Macca in there too, but I feel like with Lennon having died so long ago (and George Harrison too), it won't be quite as impactful? I mean––obviously it will be a huge deal, esp. to the boom-booms, but I don't think it will have that same sense of "I thought it would never happen."

Keith Richards is the other obvious one, but when he goes isn't everyone just going to think "Welp, we knew he couldn't beat the odds forever."

Dylan is basically the Zeus of the Boomer Mt. Olympus though, and Jagger always represented boomer ideals of vitality to a greater extent than anybody else.

• oh, and Clapton tho...

I was thinking of including Macca in there too, but I feel like with Lennon having died so long ago (and George Harrison too), it won't be quite as impactful? I mean––obviously it will be a huge deal, esp. to the boom-booms, but I don't think it will have that same sense of "I thought it would never happen."

Keith Richards is the other obvious one, but when he goes isn't everyone just going to think "Welp, we knew he couldn't beat the odds together."

Dylan is basically the Zeus of the Boomer Mt. Olympus though, and Jagger always represented boomer ideals of vitality to a greater extent than anybody else.

At the very least McCartney's death will make the Meatmen sing, "Three down, one to go!"

And when the next one dies, I will have to suffer through hearing how Eric Clapton was the greatest guitarist ever. Or Meatloaf influenced a everyone who came after him, or Neil Diamond was the greatest artist ever.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Just wait until one of the big female musical icons passes, someone like Aretha, Diana Ross, Tina Turner, or worst of all IMO Striesand. The level of public mourning will be unprecedented
    LaserWolf

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    asstro said:
    Just wait until one of the big female musical icons passes, someone like Aretha, Diana Ross, Tina Turner, or worst of all IMO Striesand. The level of public mourning will be unprecedented
    Streisand > Aretha ?

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Streisand isn't a better singer, but she has a bigger audience. Not being pejorative, she has gays, Jews, and Hollywood fans along with the regular music fans who will lose their minds when she passes. Look how everyone goes wild just because she shows up at an award show or sings a song on a TV show. Aretha won't get quite that reaction, as great as she is.

Or Springsteen.

THE DEATH OF IGGY POP

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    The cognoscenti will hold dey nose at Macca and them but wax lyrical over Iggy, Aretha, David Byrne and Blackmon.

Me, I'll raise a glass to Lydon, Sensible and Charlie Harper when the time comes, with a nod to Jello.
    asstro

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    Fats Domino is 88 now. I'd hate to see him go but he's getting up there.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

Hey,

If any of the CSNY guys pass, then I'll be heartbroken.  David Crosby already had the liver scare, but got the transplant and lived.  Those guys are getting up there in age.  Also, Donald Fagen and Walter Fagen aren't spring chickens.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    DESMOND DEKKER.  F*CK.