Name this vocal sample and you are a Hip Hop Sample GOD!

djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
edited August 2015 in Strut Central
Everyone loves a good sample mystery right? This is one of those vocal samples that should be easy to identify, but it's literally stumped some of the most knowledgeable hip hop sample heads I know for years. I've had guesses of some obscure UK MC 12" to a rare unreleased Redman track, but nothing has ever been confirmed.

I "think" it first was sampled on some battle breaks wax back in the day.
Most notably an early 1998 Dirt Style Breaks
http://www.discogs.com/Darth-Fader-and-Wax-Warriors-100mph-Backsliding-Turkey-Kuts/release/227871

Then UK Breakbeat legend Martin "Krafty Kuts" Reeves probably sampled it off that battle record in late 1998 for this EP
http://www.discogs.com/Krafty-Kuts-Return-Of-The-Elements-EP/release/201321 dope record btw
(see youtube clip below)

Here's the song video the sample comes in about one minute in and loops in places the rest of the song
"Kick it with a little more funk"

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    MC GlowStik

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    It's Snap - "I've Got The Power"

b/w

Kneel before your god

• djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
    parallax said:
    It's Snap - "I've Got The Power"

b/w

Kneel before your god

You bastard! I had to doublecheck the lyrics just in case haha
    It's not Snap-I've got the Power, and I've never heard of MC Glowstik?

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Pretty sure it's Young MC - Bust A Move

Jesse DeVille said:

Nah he doesn't say "kick it with a little more funk"
    None of the sample gurus at DWG can solve it either.

Oh well It may be time to bust out the giant S searchlight in the sky and contact DJ Shadow aka "Mr. Human Sample Dictionary"
    If he doesn't know what it was I give up lol Probably something stupid obscure that the Scratch Pickles just stumbled on in a crate of records one day.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    djtopcat said:
    Jesse DeVille said:

They are messing with you.

You posted asking about it 8 years ago, quite persistent.

G-Writah said:
    djtopcat said:
    Jesse DeVille said:

They are messing with you.

You posted asking about it 8 years ago, quite persistent.

Haha I know this is INSANE! Somebody should recognize it out there. I tried Tweeting Q-Bert but he didn't respond back lol

Yemsky said:

No, that may well have used the same sample though. I can't find audio anywhere to check
    The Raw Tribe is from 1999. I first heard the sample on Q-Bert's Backsliding Turkey Kuts scratch record 1998

Here's the loud and clear audio looped from Backsliding Turkey Kuts side A (3:20) several times.
    http://www14.zippyshare.com/v/DPK0POLO/file.html

Q-Bert responded back with "na" meaning he doesn't remember what he sampled back in 1998 for that record.That's pretty discouraging, but we're all getting old and memories get foggy so I understand lol

Who else besides guys like Josh (Shadow) etc from the old school are sample experts that may be able to solve this decade old mystery? ? One thing I did notice is that it sounds like another mc is in the sample, kind of gets cut off so maybe it was a hip hop group? The fact that I've heard in at least three UK productions from the era may mean it was a UK group, or they just sampled off Backsliding Turkey Kuts, and maybe Q-Bert took it off another older battle record because it sounded cool? argghhhh...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Why not just ask Josh yourself?

Are you not in Portland?
    Portland has perhaps the best sample spotter in the world.

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts
    There are also quite a few people online who would have had a connection to the Raw Tribe Killas and the Brighton scene. I am sure somebody can send you sound sample. of the "Ill European" track. It is originally from 1997; the Remix I linked to was later (as you noticed).
    Here is an even later remix:

LaserWolf said:
    Why not just ask Josh yourself?

Are you not in Portland?
    Portland has perhaps the best sample spotter in the world.

No I'm in Seattle, who's the Portland sample guru you speak of?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Try Supreme, he knows.

LaserWolf said:
    Try Supreme, he knows.

Lol I asked Danny a decade ago and he didn't know, if it was Popcorn Wylie or something from a 45 he'd know for sure.

A dude messaged me and said to check MC Merlin with Tim Westwood, but the voice is different to me.
    I'll bet money it was a UK rap group or MC though.

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    To me this sounds like the voice of Prince Markie Dee of the Fat Boys. The little noise could be Buffy, the Human Beat Box.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Hawkeye said:
    To me this sounds like the voice of Prince Markie Dee of the Fat Boys. The little noise could be Buffy, the Human Beat Box.

:oh_snap:

Hawkeye said:

Hmm.. never thought of that one. if only there was a database of all the Fat Boys song lyrics to search. I honestly only remember the hits that were on the radio, and the few I played in the club including some Markie Dee solo stuff. Thanks for the suggestion man I'll do some investigating after work.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    It's could be off one of those breaks and sample CDs that were popular with UK producers in the 90s. They always had a few tracks of some session guy dropping a few bars of random hip hop lines.

It's kinda beyond me why you care though.

Okem said:
    It's could be off one of those breaks and sample CDs that were popular with UK producers in the 90s. They always had a few tracks of some session guy dropping a few bars of random hip hop lines.

It's kinda beyond me why you care though.

I only care because it's my great white sample whale lol, Don't all of us crate diggers have one?? I've literally been looking for this since 1999 or so and it would be cool to solve the mystery once and for all. Your suggestion that it may be a UK sample cd gives me an idea. I used to chat with Simon Harris awhile back from time to time. He had a had an old drum loop called "Garibaldi beats"or something like that on one of his Rhythm & Life BB records. I just assumed Garibaldi referred to Tower of Power's drummer David Garibaldi, but it sounded more like a programmed beat with different sources. He couldn't solve that one but, maybe he can dust off the cobwebs and remember this. It's probably going to turn out to be something really common. Werner Von says it sounds like 90's West Coast hip hop , and another producer said maybe Kool G Rap??

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    If you're convinced its a UK act - try Overlord X, MC Duke, Hijack, Demon Boyz, Silver Bullet or London Posse.
    Those are groups from the late 80s/early 90s who *might* possibly have rapped something like this

Hawkeye said:

Yup Tweeted him the other day. Q-Bert said they recorded those Dirtstyle records from other sample boots and scratch records not off each individual original sample record. The samples came from everywhere. So that's why he probably doesn't know all the originals.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    A.K.A. Qbert doesn't give a flying rats dick.

jammy said:
    A.K.A. Qbert doesn't give a flying rats dick.

Haha nah I'm cool with Rich. He actually follows me on Twitter, he really didn't know.
    Maybe Freddie Fresh can solve this one? I just read his book!

• DJ  Iye95DJ Iye95 2 Posts
    Yemsky said:
    There are also quite a few people online who would have had a connection to the Raw Tribe Killas and the Brighton scene. I am sure somebody can send you sound sample. of the "Ill European" track. It is originally from 1997; the Remix I linked to was later (as you noticed).
    Here is an even later remix:
    Hi folks - i was the DJ in RTK and can confirm I used Backsliding Turkey Kuts. The annoying thing is I heard someone drop the original about a year ago and was like "aaaaaaahhhh" -  And it was a tune i have...Now I can't remember for the life of me what it was. 
    djtopcat

• DJ  Iye95DJ Iye95 2 Posts
    Its 93 era US - Ed OG, Masta Ace era I think. Gah, this is gonna bug me now lol

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    TopCat can finally go with peace.
    DJ  Iye95

Someone on another site suggested Kool G Rap, but I don't remember any song of his with the lyrics "Kicking with a little more funk" has to be uptempo at least 104bpm and up based on the cadence. ED OG? hmmm
    I really hope it's not some oddball 12" like 4-Ever Fresh with the Chuck D clone sample "create rap music because I never dug disco"

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    I thought he says "kick it with a little more funk"

and yeah, I also only know it from the scratch record