Knee Injuries (health-related)

2»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    yuichi said:
    Never taking my knees for granted ever again though!

:oh_my:

• Definitely get that schitt checked out by a reputable doc or even an experienced physiotherapist. MRI should not be necessary.

I tore my MCL and PCL in January in a bizarre stand-up paddleboarding incident. At first, I thought it was just a sprain or strain and tried to rest it, etc. The pain lingered, however, and I finally got it checked out a month later. Would have been waaaay better to have started physio right away, but now I'm playing catch-up. FWIW I'm a pretty healthy, in-shape guy...so these things are clearly not avoidable just because you are in good shape.

If not a tear, it may be a form of tendonitis (overuse), which would benefit from physio/strengthening as well.

• HOLLAFAME said:
    bizarre stand-up paddleboarding incident.
    Intrigued.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    batmon said:
    yuichi said:

Swimming/water-work is your friend.

It's been said before, but worth repeating:

WATER GET NO ENEMY

• heh. I went stand up paddleboarding today for the first time. fun stuff.

plus, it's called SUP

SUP DOG

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    skel said:
    Had a meniscus tear 5 years back, excruciating pain and mad swelling for days, certainly no walking.
    Then once swelling had gone, I was able to function for a year - but felt psychologically unable to kick a ball or do anything other than walk. Getting in and out of bed was a paranoia hit every day.
    Finally had an arthroscopy and been fine ever since. Meniscus removed, don't miss that fucker one little bit. They even gave it to me, in a jar of some preservative. Binned it about a week later, having scared the wits out of many, many people with it.
    Ah the memories.
    Watup Skel,

After several months now of taking a break from boxing, I still have some mild pain on my knee, so I do exercise every other day.
    I'm suspecting now that it's a torn meniscus, and i'll get it checked in Japan.  How has your situation been with exercise since removing the
    the torn meniscus?  I read that for pro athletes, the surgery is controversial.

Hi yuichi
    years on now from meniscus tear and removal via arthroscopy (which was over in an hour, and I was up and walking the same day), and the knee is fine on the daily.
    No adverse news from cold days or heavier than usual normal activity like walking, standing, lifting normal shit.
    But I'm still conscious of it when doing sports, and definitely act protectively and defensively on a reflex basis.

if I had to quantify, I'd say 95% trust level in that sucker.

skel said:
    Hi yuichi
    years on now from meniscus tear and removal via arthroscopy (which was over in an hour, and I was up and walking the same day), and the knee is fine on the daily.
    No adverse news from cold days or heavier than usual normal activity like walking, standing, lifting normal shit.
    But I'm still conscious of it when doing sports, and definitely act protectively and defensively on a reflex basis.

Skel,

Good to hear man.  I'm guessing like a partial removal?  I'm considering it when I move to Japan.  Just need some time to recover I guess.
    Looking to do some hiking in the mountains, so I'm gonna give it a couple months rest if i do have surgery.

You do any physical therapy or exercises on your own during recovery? 

My condition right now, is such that when I do a few miles of running, I feel mild pain in my knee next day.  So I take days off.  

yuichi said:
    skel said:
    Hi yuichi

Skel,

Good to hear man.  I'm guessing like a partial removal?  I'm considering it when I move to Japan.  Just need some time to recover I guess.
    Looking to do some hiking in the mountains, so I'm gonna give it a couple months rest if i do have surgery.

My condition right now, is such that when I do a few miles of running, I feel mild pain in my knee next day.  So I take days off.  
    No recovery time, I was walking home 3 hours after the op - which was a full meniscus removal. Of course that leaves you open to increased wear over the years, but man I'm 50 and I don't need a twenty five year sports horizon.

IIRC they mentioned physio and various exercises, which I promptly ignored. I walk on average 10k a day and it's doing me fine.
    My dad had it removed in his mid 20s, and was still running marathons in his 50s.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    skel said:and was still running marathons Snickers in his 50s.
    FTFY

Srs doe, props to your dad.

Don't tell me he had a heart attack running a Snickers?

Jimster said:
    skel said:and was still running marathons Snickers in his 50s.
    FTFY

Srs doe, props to your dad.

Don't tell me he had a heart attack running a Snickers?
    The day they changed name ruined my favourite joke.

skel said:
    yuichi said:
    skel said:
    Hi yuichi

Skel,

No recovery time, I was walking home 3 hours after the op - which was a full meniscus removal. Of course that leaves you open to increased wear over the years, but man I'm 50 and I don't need a twenty five year sports horizon.

IIRC they mentioned physio and various exercises, which I promptly ignored. I walk on average 10k a day and it's doing me fine.
    My dad had it removed in his mid 20s, and was still running marathons in his 50s.
    Sounds good.  Definitely weary of walking a tremendous amount in Japan.  I can easily see how one can walk
    several km in a day in Europe and Asia.  Not so much in Los Angeles....

Trying to shed some pounds as well...I'm sure you're not overweight.  As that def puts pressure on your knees.

• djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
    Don't ever tear your patellar tendon.......