FKA TWIGS - WHAT AM I MISSING?

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited June 2015 in Strut Central
so, the buzz around this artist has reached critical mass. i've been told by umpteen unreliable sources that her music is "important" so i finally broke down and decided to czech it out. am i wrong or hasn't all of this been done by bjork 15-20 years ago and better?

it's a slow day, let's talk...

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Took a leaf out of Bjork's book and is now branching out on her own.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I like her videos.

• Celebrity bullshit. Who gives a fuck?

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts
    All looks amazing, shame they forgot about the songs.

• johnblackjohnblack 147 Posts
    Hype over content.
    I never saw (heard) the fuss myself, not to say it's bad, but not the game changing freak talent the web made out.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Worst.
    Name.
    Evar.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Borderline boring but decent, bass-y beats, nice voice - nothing more. Really it's just modernized trip-hop/R&B. I understand that there's hype but it doesn't have to be something bigger than some chill bedroom music. I dig her sound and style.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    skel said:
    Took a leaf out of Bjork's book and is now branching out on her own.

Yup - and Aaliyah's and Siouxsie Sioux's, too.

It has not all been done by Bjork. And even if it had, so what? Before Bjork, had it all been done by Kate Bush?

Her live show is phenomenal - she's up there on her own and it takes a lot to be hardly singing at 5' nothing and command the stage and the room...her dance background definitely helps that. No one is making videos like her, which are sexy as fuck and could be art pieces on their own.

I am a big fan.

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    ^this

She literally has no tunes but it doesn't matter. Go see her live and it's like seeing the future of music. Some end-of-bill-and-ted's-excellent-adventure-shit. This coming from a cynical know-it-all music nerd

Anyway, it's definitely the best visual campaign for an artist I think I've ever witnessed in my lifetime. So much so that nobody even cares she has no tunes!

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Not sure where her roots lie, but she comes across a bit... wooden. She might grow on me if she sticks around.

I dunno man... Sick o' more dudes logging on just to cut this girl down to size.
    It's plane wrong, fir fs

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Everything ain't for everybody.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    skel said:
    I dunno man... Sick o' more dudes logging on just to cut this girl down to size.
    It's plane wrong, fir fs

Don't sweat it, their bark is worse than their bite.

If they want to get their panties in a knot, that's their problem.

Horseleech said:
    skel said:
    It's plane wrong, fir fs

Don't sweat it, their bark is worse than their bite.

If they want to get their panties in a knot, that's their problem.

I bough to your greater wisdom

• I'm a little bit stumped myself. I understand her fan base is wide and most of the hype rings true but if you really stick to the music and leave everything else out.... I'm going out on a limb here, but ultimately I'm giving her albums the axe, throw em straight in the trunk

TheKindCromang said:
    I'm a little bit stumped myself. I understand her fan base is wide and most of the hype rings true but if you really stick to the music and leave everything else out.... I'm going out on a limb here, but ultimately I'm giving her albums the axe, throw em straight in the trunk

Counted 7 in there. Hats off.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    My first impression is a cross between Janelle Monae and the chick from Die Antwoord.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    skel said:
    TheKindCromang said:
    I'm a little bit stumped myself. I understand her fan base is wide and most of the hype rings true but if you really stick to the music and leave everything else out.... I'm going out on a limb here, but ultimately I'm giving her albums the axe, throw em straight in the trunk

Counted 7 in there. Hats off.

I counted 8....very impressive. Your writing skills are obviously deep rooted.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    :face_melt:

Whoa

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    ^this

She literally has no tunes but it doesn't matter. Go see her live and it's like seeing the future of music. [strong]Some end-of-bill-and-ted's-excellent-adventure-shit[/strong]...

You weren't lying...

To each their own. For me...it's a bunch of pretty, shiny, neat looking nothing.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Like Bjork, with the right producer Twigs could drop a bomb.

• granjerogranjero 147 Posts
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p02ty3ry/glastonbury-2015-fka-twigs

Full set from Glastonbury on Saturday, if you can stream BBC wherever you are.
    What I saw was mesmerising. The band are playing some avant garde shit, no computer sequencing, and she is very pretty. With a good voice. Definitely Good Stuff.