New Soul Strut Web Site - October 2014

124»

Comments

• Superb! Cheers RAJ, that's great & very much appreciated

On a side note - it won't let me update my screen name in my profile. Like the rap scene post-1997, it's no biggie, but I thought it worth letting you know.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    waximilien said:
    Superb! Cheers RAJ, that's great & very much appreciated

On a side note - it won't let me update my screen name in my profile. Like the rap scene post-1997, it's no biggie, but I thought it worth letting you know.

Thanks for pointing that out! It has been fixed (like a NBA game).

• Excellent! Sterling work, RAJ. I figured I may as well change my username on here to something more relevant to the name I use more generally and, since I never posted a great deal in the first place, it's hardly likely to confuse anybody.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    sticky_dojah said:
    day said:

I mostly lurk these days, but I will always be around until someone says last call.

Hi.

Not really around, just checking once or twice a year...

PS/ Raj, you still owe me a 7" and a t-shirt... sayin'

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    hey man where is the skin switch?

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

Still not working? Oh well, I'll have to dig into the archives for some deep cuts:

Is white text still a thing?

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Great rebooking RAJ . And I finally get recognition with the addition of "site for ………record nerds" on the home page. If I could make one minor suggestion:

This reads as if the avatar belongs to the person who started the thread whereas in actual fact it belongs to the person on the far right who just replied. It might therefore be clearer to put them together….. (was it like that with the older version??)

• Good to see The Strut still going after 15 years!

• Impressive work.

When you navigate off a mix show page, that is the end of your audio. It would be great if you could throw on a mix then browse the rest of the site without interrupting your mix. The only way that I can think to do it is to make everything one page and have everything else on the site be dynamic. That would be a significant redesign. A simpler way to be able to browse the rest of the site while keeping the mix going would be to launch the mix in a different browser tab.

• francois parkerfrancois parker formerly know as Parkz. 125 Posts
    is there a way (using an iphone) I can go straight to the first unread post in thread? rather than having to manually scroll and try finding it?

• Hey Raj, I don't know how hard this would be to implement, but could users have the option to "hide" embeded content (ie youtube, soundcloud, etc) so that the pages load better on mobile devices? Soundcloud seems to be the worst offender - I can't load the 2014 Beats Thread on my ipad without Safari crashing. But if we could have the content in a collapsed frame with a link in the post to expand/see content then the page would load quick and you could click the content you wanted to see? I hope that makes sense. I've seen this done on other boards but have no idea how difficult it is to code and implement.

I think it would seriously improve the mobile browsing experience. You could either have it as a universal thing, tied to browser/platform info collected from user, or setting you can toggle in preferences.

Oh one more little bug I've noticed - the formatting of the front page of the site is weird now. The small icons for facebook, instagram, twitter, etc on the top left are not displaying in a horizontal row. They are now stacked vertically and thus stretch the header so it takes up about 30% of the home screen. It started happening recently, and is that way on my macbook and ipad. Both using Safari.

EDIT - Nevermind... the front page formatting seems fine now.

• DjWillderness said:
    Impressive work.

When you navigate off a mix show page, that is the end of your audio. It would be great if you could throw on a mix then browse the rest of the site without interrupting your mix. The only way that I can think to do it is to make everything one page and have everything else on the site be dynamic. That would be a significant redesign. A simpler way to be able to browse the rest of the site while keeping the mix going would be to launch the mix in a different browser tab.

I do this myself now. One tab for SS Mix, one tab for the internet. I'm sure some users don't think about that solution though.

• check out the update to video viewing on Tumblr. you can navigate further down your feed after starting a video and it will pop out into a smaller window in the lower right. something similar to that could possibly be employed for mixes.

DjWillderness said:
    Impressive work.

I know exactly what you mean. I had a crude version of a working persistent player, but it turned out to be more trouble than it was worth (coding and logistics wise). The player has a "popout" button or you can do the old fashioned tab method.

Oh... The iPhone has a built in persistent player. So you can navigate away and still have the mix playing.

• Just wanted to say congrats on the redesign!
    It looks and feels great!

• Dopeness. Don't forget to put some DJ blue water reggae mixes back up. Them shights are dope.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

www.soulstrut.com doesn't work for me.

Duderonomy said:

I've had another person who can't access the homepage either. What browser? Version? Can you post a screen shot?

ALSO... you may have noticed the site is been going down periodically. There has been a Denial of Service attack on my server. Dudes at the Vinylst??

RAJ said:
    Duderonomy said:

I've had another person who can't access the homepage either. What browser? Version? Can you post a screen shot?

ALSO... you may have noticed the site is been going down periodically. There has been a Denial of Service attack on my server. Dudes at the Vinylst??

I'm too much of a fucking tool to be able to print a screen shot, but it's grey, and in the middle is this text:

An Error Was Encountered
    Site Error: Unable to Load Site Preferences; No Preferences Found

I hadn't noticed the site going down as I haven't been able to access if for 4 days! None of my bookmarks worked, it was only clicking on a link from your Facebook page that took me back to the forums.

Duderonomy said:
    RAJ said:
    Duderonomy said:

I'm too much of a fucking tool to be able to print a screen shot, but it's grey, and in the middle is this text:

An Error Was Encountered

I hadn't noticed the site going down as I haven't been able to access if for 4 days! None of my bookmarks worked, it was only clicking on a link from your Facebook page that took me back to the forums.

You need to clear you browser cache. What browser are you using?

RAJ said:
    Duderonomy said:
    RAJ said:
    Duderonomy said:

An Error Was Encountered

You need to clear you browser cache. What browser are you using?

Google chrome. I'll try working out how to clear the cache.

EDIT: That worked, thanks Raj!

• we need greamlins

kala said:
    hey man where is the skin switch?

Forum Home, bottom of the page, drop down, select Classic Mode.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    LoopDreams said:
    we need greamlins

:get_on_my_level:

Seems fast reply doesn't have them. But if you click reply or quote you can find Smileys and click on that.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Haha. They didn't load. Jokes on me.

• I keep getting logged out. It might last a few days, but then I'm out. On the previous version I'd be in for months at a time, if not years. This is on iOS.

RAJ said:

Today (Thursday 6th) was a DOS attack? Weird to think somebody would bother.

I'm guessing Marcofunk.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Ok I'm used to this now, it's great on the iPhone

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Been some time I haven't been around. Redesign looks great. Love your choice of typefaces, RAJ. Thanks for the time and love you put into this.