Boardwalk Empire

14567810»

Comments

• yeah pretty sad end for my man right there.

• Yeah, sad end, especially considering his motives. Didn't want to see him go.

• pknypkny 549 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    Yeah, sad end, especially considering his motives. Didn't want to see him go.

Agreed, that final scene had me gutted. But so well done. And they lined up some interesting plot lines for the next season.

I wonder if this also wraps up everything with Gillian and Jimmy's son.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    epic ending

how long must we wait for next season

• Warning spoilers:

A grim ending all around. Eli serving up a brutal beat down. That's some "never forget" shit for his kids. Traumatizing. I thought Narcisse would be gone for sure, like the usual one season villain. I'm kind of over Gillian at this point. Don't mind her, but she's not that important with Harrow out. Curious to see what becomes of Chalky, the new crazy farm dude.

Lots of shit brewing. Narcisse as snitch. Mickey's life insurance policy. Capone in charge. Heroin troubles. Chalky. Sally seems like she might trouble for Nuck. Eli's son.

• I'm know I'm not alone in my surprise that Mickey Doyle survived the season.

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    Very Shakespearian!

• So what doth the strut think. Looking back, I think it was a solid run from beginning to end. Young Nuckies this season were kind of cool. The teeth and mannerisms of 20 something Nucky cracked me up.

Spoiler

Sad end for many, but all went out with classy scenes, if that makes sense. I was cool with it all.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    This final season there was a bit too much tying up of loose ends by basically killing everyone off. Which just came across as lazy writing to me. It's like they were told this was the final season so 'wrap things up' and they then just kinda phoned it in somewhat. First there was the sudden jump in the timeline, then the story arcs of the characters were fast tracked, their motivations ignored, leading to these oddly forced situations which lead to their demise.
    I personally don't see the need for shows to tie everything up with a bow. I can understand why tv executives would push for a nice clean break, but I find it's just a constant reminder that you're watching a tv show and stops you from just emersing yourself in the story. It was kind of annoying to see a great show go out like this.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I agree with Okem. I was not a fan of this season and after the 3rd episode I even skipped a couple because I was so disinterested. Like Okem I thought the drive to end everyone's story made everything forced.

• I can appreciate that. It was a little bit rushed with the 8 episodes and all the people dying. I'll admit I don't take a super critical eye to most things and I just went with it. It did feel a bit random, but I was also comfortable with the show coming to an end.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Agreed on the rush through to kill off everyone.

I also didn't like Tommy killing Nucky. Kinda threw away all that Richard worked for to get him away from it all. Just to have him kill Nucky and probably either go to jail for life or executed?

That said, I'm sad to see the show go. I really enjoyed seasons 3 and 4 and the show on a whole.

• The Tommy thing was a bit weird, but kind of made sense considering what Nucky did to Jimmy and his mom.

Maybe too easy? I wasn't really sure if it made sense, but I wasn't mad.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    spoiler question

how the fusk did arnold rothstein die?

edith head said:
    spoiler question

It's kinda mentioned in the first episode of the season in a conversation between Meyer and Nucky in Havana. Where the last time they saw eachother was at A.R.’s funeral. In real life, Rothstein was killed in some gambling conflict.

It's kinda shitty that they didn't really cover it in the final season. But I guess thats the kinda stuff that happens when you're trying to fit everything in a short season with only 8 episodes instead of 12.

• edith head said:
    spoiler question

Yeah, when they mentioned he was deceased I was thinking I had missed that episode last season or couldn't remember it. Then I discovered the jump in timeline that went down this last season and it all made sense. Same goes for Luciano's eye. In the 7 years between this and last season an attempt was made on his life that left one of his eyes disfigured..

Overall I agree about a few things feeling a bit rushed this final season - even Buscemi's acting in that episode or 2 back when he was telling Maranzano that the war had to stop - that one instant it felt as if Steve is thinking, "yup, let's wrap her up!" Aside from that I thoroughly enjoyed Boardwalk Empire as a whole and loved the young Nucky casting as well as the Commodore this final season.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    I was very disappointed in Narcisse's killing. I wanted that pompous fuck to go out in a blaze of some epic well deserved poetic glory and all we get is a random shooting. I mean, where was the story in the dudes that shot him? I enjoyed the flashback moments, but yes, this season was rushed, it was too short and lacked a well thought out storyline. Every time they killed someone it had the excitement and reasoning of Kenny getting killed (you bastards!). I kept expecting Ron Howard to start narrating and making cracks about the show getting cut mid season so they had to make it all up super fast.

• Wasn't Narcisse part of Luciano's plan to get rid of everyone else. There was the line about "in public, two shooters." I think he was just part of that sweep. I don't know for sure.

With Narcisse, what happened with the whole getting caught by the Feds and interrogated by Hoover. It's like that shit never happened.

• Controller_7 said:
    Wasn't Narcisse part of Luciano's plan to get rid of everyone else. There was the line about "in public, two shooters." I think he was just part of that sweep. I don't know for sure.

yep -- it wasn't clear to me who they were talking about initially, but it came into focus when Narcisse got clipped.

• scebasceba 122 Posts
    Of course it felt rushed as they were told to wrap it up in one season. They probably thought the had a couple of seasons to tie it up... Personally I prefer to have an ending to the stories I've invested so much time in watching. It's a challenge of course to pull off a satisfying ending like in any story, be it a movie or a book or whatever, but I think they did it well (especially considering the space they had to do it in and the amount of characters the series had). Better than the ending of True Detective, not as good as Breaking Bad.

I thought the last season was very good overall. The flashbacks weighed the episodes dynamic down at times, but casting in them was excellent (especially Nucky)!

Overall a great series. Fantastic production quality. A bit slow at times because of the many subplots and characters but the set design, cinematography, acting and direction more than made up for it.