So if we rolled the board back 10 years... where is everyone?

GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
edited October 2014 in Strut Central
Soulstrut seems quiet these days. I can remember page after page of arguments about vinyl minutiae and eurotrash and "no homos" and whoever that one weird French guy was. Calls for this person and that person to be banned and so many funny Google Image Search photo links and geoducks. Le Toupt. The_Mack. So many white hipsters ranting about racial injustice.

This kind of reminds me a bit of back in the day when everything shifted from BBSs to AOL and gradually to the Internet.

So where is everyone? I see Guzzo. I guess Gary is Dizzy Bull. I think I saw some Oliver Wang posts somewhere. And a Motown67. And Big Stacks. I think I saw a John Book post - can I still read about dollar bin raer he found at a Goodwill in rural Washington?

But where is hcrink? I see Day references but no Day. Where is Francis whateverhisfrenchlastname from VA...Fatback? Bassie? Faux_Rillz and his blackanasian girlfriend that I forget her name? Where is Asprin? ako? Is there a replacement Iowa teenager? The_Mack... Jonny_Paycheck? Bsides gave it up a year ago?

Just looking it seems like 90% of the posts come from people who joined prior to 2010, and a lot before that. What happened to the youth?

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    everyone went: soulstrut > waxidermy > facebook (with several casualties who never made the jump from one to another) hehehehe. Honestly though, most of us are still in touch, just not on here. This place has a lot to be thanked for though as most of my real-life record friends are people I met here back in the day. warm fuzzies.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Grafwritah said:
    Soulstrut seems quiet these days. I can remember page after page of arguments about vinyl minutiae and eurotrash and "no homos" and whoever that one weird French guy was. Calls for this person and that person to be banned and so many funny Google Image Search photo links and geoducks. Le Toupt. The_Mack. So many white hipsters ranting about racial injustice.

This kind of reminds me a bit of back in the day when everything shifted from BBSs to AOL and gradually to the Internet.

So where is everyone? I see Guzzo. I guess Gary is Dizzy Bull. I think I saw some Oliver Wang posts somewhere. And a Motown67. And Big Stacks. I think I saw a John Book post - can I still read about dollar bin raer he found at a Goodwill in rural Washington?

But where is hcrink? I see Day references but no Day. Where is Francis whateverhisfrenchlastname from VA...Fatback? Bassie? Faux_Rillz and his blackanasian girlfriend that I forget her name? Where is Asprin? ako? Is there a replacement Iowa teenager? The_Mack... Jonny_Paycheck? Bsides gave it up a year ago?

Just looking it seems like 90% of the posts come from people who joined prior to 2010, and a lot before that. What happened to the youth?

I agree. This place is mostly leftovers from a very vibrant time. New blood would be nice.

Most of the people who you mentioned above are not on here any more. They grew up and had kids and found Facebook. They made real world moves and stopped collecting records.... Internet forums = so 2000s.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    The youth have spotify.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    They left the circle jerk to go fuck themselves.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    They left the circle jerk to go fuck themselves.

Interesting take.

Of course I guess after a decade or so (or longer in some cases) people get old. Even ako has got to be moving into the second half of his 20s by now, maybe even pushing 30? I guess most people now are 30s, 40s... 50s...

Aside from the availability of everything on the Internet, do you think the fall of sample based tracks has much to do with it? I think a lot of people here or that were here got into collecting originally by being interested in samples. When I am around today's youth they seem to find a lot of the sample based music to be annoying (with some exceptions). Of course, it could also have to do with the fact that stuff I was listening to as a kid are now 20 years old.

Facebook does seem to suck up a lot of the social activity now. AOL of the 2010s I guess.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I deejayed an afterschool dance party for 2nd-6th graders on Friday and they wanted to hear James Brown (a kid requested Gimme Some More) and classic b-boy tracks way more than anything new. They were going beserk for the old ish in fact.

I noticed a lot of the dumb nonsensical banter threads are gone because technology has improved. A ko is on Facebook now and is into mopeds and shit. But yeah... if you leave the neighborhood for 10 years and come back expecting it to be the same... not going to happen.

How about formdiplo.... That weird guy who posted cryptic Philly talk all over souls strut and used to hound record shows. Anybody know where he is today?

• 10 years ago?

i'd be at the bar.

RAJ said:
    I noticed a lot of the dumb nonsensical banter threads are gone because technology has improved. A ko is on Facebook now and is into mopeds and shit. But yeah... if you leave the neighborhood for 10 years and come back expecting it to be the same... not going to happen.

I figured they were gone because practically no one is 18, 21, 23 anymore.

Didn't really expect it to be the same, but I'm not sure what I expected. I've checked in every two or three years but never posted more than a couple of posts at any time so I didn't really notice anything.

• RAJ said:

How about formdiplo.... That weird guy who posted cryptic Philly talk all over souls strut and used to hound record shows. Anybody know where he is today?

Raver.

What about Bambouche? That guy was pretty prolific in his day. I feel like he might have gone to join ISIS or something like that.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Ahem.

Grafwritah

:walk_away_son:

;-)

Nice list of US-only poasters, but teh Strut been international for a loooong time.

Duderonomy said:
    Ahem.

Grafwritah

:walk_away_son:

;-)

Nice list of US-only poasters, but teh Strut been international for a loooong time.

I said Le Toupt. And Bassie.

Bambouche, I forgot about that guy. Good question. Or maybe he wears bespoke suits now.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Grope?
    NZ Shadow?
    Senior?

Grope banned himself so he could make real world moves.

I applaud that.

That always makes me laugh.

And he eventually came back.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Where's Cosmophonic, speaking of posters from across the pond? He was my dude!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Let's try to get these people back on here. Atleast for a day

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Grafwritah said:

But where is hcrink?

Still wasting too much time on the internet.

SOME THINGS NEVER CHANGE

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Let's try to get these people back on here. Atleast for a day

• vintageinfants said:
    10 years ago?

i'd be at the bar.

Now he's in the shower.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I'm here

but I don't know who half you dudes are.

Guzzo said:
    I'm here

but I don't know who half you dudes are.

It all seems very vague.

I flipped through the "what happened to" thread from last summer (2013) and there were a good bit of names that popped up in there.

It is a bit frightening how the Internet never forgets.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/grandpashig/

To Raj's suggestion, it would be fun to a bunch of people from back in the day get on here and resurrect some of the old threads and do nostalgia day. Talk Leo Sayer and argue the finer points of terrible Dirty South hip hop.

I would feel a lot better if Reynaldo was around posting from his parents' hippy commune.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I am dizzy bull.

I am friends with many of the older stutters on facebook.

I still check the strut and appreciate it for what it is

Controller_7 said:
    vintageinfants said:
    10 years ago?

i'd be at the bar.

Now he's in the shower.

:beerbang:

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    hcrink said:
    Grafwritah said:

But where is hcrink?

Still wasting too much time on the internet.

SOME THINGS NEVER CHANGE

Crinky! Man, you can't even imagine how much mileage I got out of those stuffed birds. More than a decade later, people still ask about the birds I had in my college apartment. Thank you for superlative anecdotes. I really hope you're well. Come to Toronto and let me buy you dinner.

Grafwritah said:
    I would feel a lot better if Reynaldo was around posting from his parents' hippy commune.

I'd love to know what he's up to. I never did understand what he was all about. Was he really that wealthy? Was it all a show?

I proudly take credit for certain strut memes, not least of which was the geoduck.

I'm still here. I even buy records now and then. For years I've been working on another compilation, but the game, as they say, has changed. Everyone and their nephew has a compilation. My passion for curating may have waned enough that I can't be bothered to add another drop to an ocean of releases.

The idea of spending time in a basement digging through records now has zero appeal. If I'm in a new city, I'll pop into a record store, but it's a low priority. Digs are mostly online. I feel bad for people whose sense of self-worth is still connected to their record collection. I envy those people who still have the intensity of feeling for music that I did when I was 23. The difference between my contemporaries who drool over OGs and the weirdoes who collect Kiss rarities isn't as obvious to me as it once was.

I have burdensome work obligations that keep me from long listening sessions. If I get too high, it mucks up my sleep. I'm excited by other things. I'm fond of whisky and devote resources to that.

I'm still good friends with people I met through the strut, and for that I think Raj sincerely.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Reynaldo is on facebook.

• present.

Peace, stein...

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    meatyogre

cosmo baker

day

get them back!