iPhone 6

parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
edited September 2014 in Strut Central
You copping?

Or

Meh...

Also, why are Android and other non-iOS users so vocal about their opinion on what a POS Apple is? I find it a bit odd and have never seen an iOS user get vulgar about non-iOS products. Plaese to explain?

Lastly, Apple Watch: yay, or nay?

Discuss.

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    I grabbed.

But it was mostly because my girl has a 4 and is in dire need for an upgrade. I was going to get her the 6, but she just wants my 5S.

I think all the shit talking is unfortunate. We're not all the same. So what ever works for you, use it. Which is why I stick with apple.

But hearing the most bullshit arguments over and over is easy to just ignore.

That watch thing... Not really for me. I've been doing my best not to wear a watch for the last 5 years. I'll keep that trend going.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I wear the same watch that Arnold swarzzenegar wore in kindergarten cop.

True story.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    parallax said:

Also, why are Android and other non-iOS users so vocal about their opinion on what a POS Apple is?

You haven't watched the South Park episode about the iTunes user agreement?

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    parallax said:

Also, why are Android and other non-iOS users so vocal about their opinion on what a POS Apple is?

Nah dude. I have a 2 year old that I'm trying to keep alive, so I maybe watch 2 hours of TV a week. I'll youtube it.

But yeah, I'm no fan of Apple's restrictions either.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    parallax said:
    why are Android and other non-iOS users so vocal about their opinion on what a POS Apple is? I find it a bit odd and have never seen an iOS user get vulgar about non-iOS products. Plaese to explain?

The other non-iOS devices weren't pimped hard by the Hypeman Steve Jobs. So iOS has a face.

Apple market better than anyone and only apple make iOS devices, so they have complete control over the product, which has made them a "Premium" aspirational brand - I will give Jobs that. No-one (in the general public) is talking about the next Google or WP move, are they? The hardware is excellent and iOS looks great which will always triumph in the dick-waving stakes.

Wifey has iphone so she can facetime her sister and my son on his ipod. She hates it but says she hasn't the time to get her head around a new OS. I don't like the OS personally because they try and make everything minimal, which does my nut in when I am in a hurry. I never use iTunes for anything, there is an app called iTools which is far quicker for taking off photos to backup and putting music on.

If you only have a 50-CD music collection that you also want on the phone, it probably works fine.

I had Android on my previous HTC. Worked fine. Interfaces can be pimped. Camera let it down. Tends to suit folks who love rooting (:ayo:) and have a wall of shortcuts on their computer desktop. I probably only use the same half-dozen apps and websites.

WP8.1 works best for me. Getting around is quickest - I like the fact it just has 2 screens (shortcuts and then an A-Z of what's installed) and dedicated back and home buttons (which is what I miss on apple), and as I love taking pictures, a great camera. I find the battery life piss-poor, doe. Even with mimimal stuff on, driving the screen sucks juice like there's no tomorrow - I did a long drive and used it as a sat nav; it died with an hour to go, despite being on charge the whole way. The screen uses more power than you can put into it.

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    parallax said:
    never seen an iOS user get vulgar about non-iOS products. Plaese to explain?
    I have, repeatedly... in fact, more so than the reverse. Guess it depends on who you hear from.

Thus far, I have no motivation to own anything Apple, except for my ancient G4, which I now only use as a synth. I have no specific problem with Apple, but the thing is... a phone is just another tool. I feel kind of the same way about my phone that I feel about my drill: it's there to accomplish specific tasks, and there are a variety of models that, while having some varying characteristics, can perform those tasks equally well once one becomes accustomed to using them.

I've yet to see a situation where, for example, a bunch of contractors get into a lengthy debate over which brand of circular saw is better, because that would be stupid and ridiculous, as is most of the debate over phones and personal devices.

I also have, a disturbing number of times, encountered people who feel it's necessary to insist to me that Apple is far superior to everything else. However, not one has actually been able to demonstrate to me how an iPhone (or iPad, or whatever) can accomplish a task that can't be done just as well with a different device.

A guy I'm vaguely acquainted with posted a funny Facebook status on this topic the other day:

I had an odd dream last night where phones were a big deal and people could tell you their phone's "specs" and people argued about which phone was better.

• Options
    I'm getting it, mainly because the top button on my 5 stopped working a few months ago and I've taken to butt dialing people. Also my Mophie battery case doesn't work unless i wrap one of my wife's hair bands around the whole thing to pull it together, so I figure thats another good excuse.

I can't preorder it bc I don't know how big the 6plus is, I need to see the two of them next to each other. Someone told me the 6plus is similar in size to a Samsung that came out recently, and if so then that's way too big. As my current employment requires me to have frequent unexpected bouts of physical exertion the likes of which some folks do in mud for fun on weekends (look, I'm a warrior!!), having a salad plate in my pocket at all times might not be the best idea.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I'm surprised that people didn't want to hear more about my watch. And a little disappointed.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I'm surprised that people didn't want to hear more about my watch. And a little disappointed.

Gary said:
    I wear the same watch that Arnold swarzzenegar wore in kindergarten cop.

True story.

Pecs or your (sic) soft.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Fred_Garvin said:
    I had an odd dream last night where phones were a big deal and people could tell you their phone's "specs" and people argued about which phone was better.

:killin_it:

I love my work Mac for using Creative Suite, but for a phone I just have a whatever Android. I think I spent $50 on it. It does the job.

• JUDJUD 82 Posts
    Sween said:
    I'm getting it, mainly because the top button on my 5 stopped working a few months ago and I've taken to butt dialing people.
    Tip from occasional lurker: Apple fixes the top button problem for free. Even if you're buying a new phone, it may be worth doing for the increased resale value.
    https://www.apple.com/support/iphone5-sleepwakebutton/ or search "iPhone 5 Sleep/Wake Button Replacement Program"

• anyone having problems with apps crashing like a mahfucka in iOS 8?

• edith head said:
    anyone having problems with apps crashing like a mahfucka in iOS 8?

It's been overall buggy to me. Sometimes my mail app gets stuck. My ebay app won't load my saved searches.

I've had zero issues. Updated to 8.0.2. Still no probs. Loving the camera+ update.

A,

Which phone do you have?

edith head said:
    anyone having problems with apps crashing like a mahfucka in iOS 8?

I am on Windows but I had the Ouija out last night and it was all

"HAAAAAAA HAAAAAA HAAAAA"

I had to tell Steve Jobs to do one.

• DOR said:
    I've had zero issues. Updated to 8.0.2. Still no probs. Loving the camera+ update.

A,

Which phone do you have?

I have the iphone 5. I realized after I updated I have barely any free space on it now, so maybe that's the issue. Also something called "other" is taking up 10 gb of space.

edith head said:
    DOR said:

A,

Which phone do you have?

I have the iphone 5. I realized after I updated I have barely any free space on it now, so maybe that's the issue. Also something called "other" is taking up 10 gb of space.

You could try deleting any apps that are crashing and then re-installing them. That may help.

As far as space goes. Check your apps usage settings. For all apps, there is the app size and then the Documents & Data size. I've seen people with 2GB size for Facebook, when the app is only like 100mb.

For Apple, it will delete unneeded data as space becomes limited. But if it bothers you, you can delete the app and install again to get rid of unwanted caches. There are also app's out there than will delete it for you without un-installing.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    parallax said:

Update:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/dec/04/apple-deleted-music-ipods-rivals-steve-jobs
    Apple scanned for music purchased from rival services such as Amazon and forced users to delete all music from their iPods, it is claimed

tl/dr = fuck Apple

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Anyone update to 8.2?

I got rid of my watches back when cellphones came out.
    Why do I need a fuckin SmartWatch now?

My 6 has almost killed my iPad. The Apple Watch looks like it will diminish the Iphone.

I upgraded.

Depending on price, I might get the watch ($500).

I used to have a FitBit till that shit started burning a hole in my wrist. It was super-handy as an alarm, an activity tracker (I play a lot of sports), calorie counter (in my case, trying to gain weight). The Apple watch will do all that and much more, so I'll likely cop.

I've never owned or even thought about owning an ipad, MacBook, or CPU.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    I was required to upgrade to the new iphone after years of using Android on galaxies.

Mostly, it's six of one half dozen of the other. I miss how easy it was to customise Android and the file management system. The other day I thought i'd lost my mind because i couldn't figure out how to save a pdf on a website until buddy told me you can't do that without getting an app. That seems insane to me.

Danno, that is the big reason I won't deal. I think the design is great, the interface fast and slick but I am a Windows guy for a living and expect to copy files and music back and to from any number of PCs every day.

Apple make this as hard as humanly possible. When foll and foll come to me with some cryptic ipod sync issue, I roll my eyes. They won't even use a standard usb...

My kids have got Android tablets and phones, wife has iphone and iPad and I have got Windows phone. I can get around fine in all of them but I favour the Windows phone interface. Best of both.

Windows 10 baby!

Danno3000 said:
    The other day I thought i'd lost my mind because i couldn't figure out how to save a pdf on a website until buddy told me you can't do that without getting an app. That seems insane to me.

When I open a pdf on a web page it gives me a couple of options at the top. I just select open in ibooks and it saves it there automatically. Plus when I sync my phone with my laptop it saves a copy in ibooks as well. And when you open it in ibooks on your mac it opens in preview and you can do whatever...

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Danno3000 said:
    The other day I thought i'd lost my mind because i couldn't figure out how to save a pdf on a website until buddy told me you can't do that without getting an app. That seems insane to me.

Most times, just press and hold on the opened file and a dialog box should pop open that will give you the option to save.
    I've never had a need to use a third party app to handle any attachments.

So, the other day I said I never considered a macbook (or whatever the fuck I said). Anyway, this is game changing...

http://www.apple.com/macbook/

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

:beerbang: