Is Skateboarding America's Real #1 Pastime?

2»

Comments

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    That's called "mongo foot" and nobody cool pushes like that. The only pro I can really remember was Bill Danforth, but that's all I really remember about that dude. He looked like Billy Idol and pushed mongo.

There's really no reason you can't push that way, but it's not conducive to doing tricks for the most part. Kind of messes up your foot placement.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I got back on a board in college for a quik minute. After smashing the borrowed board in half i never returned.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    there's a new skate park in SF.

can't find any pics.

looks kinda cool tho.

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    Harv!
    For those not in the know, SUP is to Surfing what Fratboy Longboard cruiser skateboards is to Street/Pool Skating
    As a daily surfer, I couldnt agree with you more about SUPs. The only thing worse then the sport itself is the culture of dudes he seem to find some solace in it, middle aged crisis fruits who dont have the strength to actually surf.

There is only one place and time where SUP is appropriate, and that is when you are literally risking your life, there is less than a foot of water at the bottom of the wave, and a wipeout is a guaranteed broken neck, extreme SUP that trancends the turdness of the entire sport.

I propose to you this truly unbelievable footage from the wedge that happened two weeks ago:
    (also, fwiw, at 1:32 the water is at most 2 feet deep right there, this is all occuring right on the sand, thus the bystanders)

Leeward from theandyj on Vimeo.

not for nothing, but i surfed that very swell in Pedro and it was BIG. Very BIG.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Not used to seeing The Wedge not blackballed. Me and my friends used to ride our bikes to The Wedge from Huntington Beach to bodysurf that bitch. Sometimes since we were just little kids, we'd have to scoot down a sector from all the grown gorillas on the main break and often when we'd take off on huge waves, we'd look down to see nothing but sand beneath us. We'd call it getting sandblasted when we'd hit the beach and roll to avoid breaking bones but ultimately ending up with half a pound of sand stuck in our shorts.

I tried out stand up paddleboarding for the first and only time when I was down in Costa Rica last month. My real surfer dude friend now takes visitors to his resort out in the bay at Tambor where SUP Yoga has apparently become a thing. I admit to having a decent amount of fun while trying out the SUP, but I really didn't understand the need to be standing up after a lifetime of paddling piroughs/canoes/kayaks.

no doubt. I knew you would appreciate that.

And oyu know what, knowing the wedge, having swam those waters and the sheer force of that break, I have to say that aside from Shipsterns, the wave at 2:53 in that video is pretty much one of the most amazing things I have ever seen in my life. Especially to be strapped to a giant as SUP. My god.

Not for nothing, but the worlds scariest wave as far as im concerned.

Shipsterns:

4YearGraduate said:
    no doubt. I knew you would appreciate that.

And oyu know what, knowing the wedge, having swam those waters and the sheer force of that break, I have to say that aside from Shipsterns, the wave at 2:53 in that video is pretty much one of the most amazing things I have ever seen in my life. Especially to be strapped to a giant as SUP. My god.

Don't give them that much credit...lol. They aren't strapped in. They've just got boards as big as boats and use a stick instead of their hand to slow themselves down on the wave. Their wipeouts must really suck though. I will give them that.

4YearGraduate said:

Shipsterns:

I'd say any wave you'd need a jetski to help you drop in on would qualify.

Lance Burkhart, I mean Laird Hamilton is the athlete of the century as far as I'm concerned.

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:

Shipsterns:

Frankenwave!

• yes.

• from today's grantland essay on the decline of new york basketball:

"Konchalski is New YorkÔÇÖs chief basketball curator and historian, someone who has long celebrated the cityÔÇÖs excellence, but on that afternoon, riding out to Long Island, he looked out at the playground courts and felt troubled by what he saw. For decades, those courts had been filled with ballplayers, kids shoveling the snow or stumbling through the heat so they could go 1-on-15 in overcrowded games of 21.5 Courts like these had molded players like Cousy and King and Mullin into stars; these blacktops had turned playground savants like Earl ÔÇ£The GoatÔÇØ Manigault and Joe ÔÇ£The DestroyerÔÇØ Hammond into city legends. But now, out the window, he saw skateboards. Not basketballs. Skateboards."

The Mecca in Decline

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:
    Harv!
    For those not in the know, SUP is to Surfing what Fratboy Longboard cruiser skateboards is to Street/Pool Skating
    As a daily surfer, I couldnt agree with you more about SUPs. The only thing worse then the sport itself is the culture of dudes he seem to find some solace in it, middle aged crisis fruits who dont have the strength to actually surf.

There is only one place and time where SUP is appropriate, and that is when you are literally risking your life, there is less than a foot of water at the bottom of the wave, and a wipeout is a guaranteed broken neck, extreme SUP that trancends the turdness of the entire sport.

I propose to you this truly unbelievable footage from the wedge that happened two weeks ago:
    (also, fwiw, at 1:32 the water is at most 2 feet deep right there, this is all occuring right on the sand, thus the bystanders)

Leeward from theandyj on Vimeo.

not for nothing, but i surfed that very swell in Pedro and it was BIG. Very BIG.

what a bunch of macho bullshit/made up rules for your own book
    SUP is great to stay in shape with off season
    SMH

• edit. lol - what off season?!

• I'm not very good at dancing, but I can ride a skateboard!

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    LOL I didn't know Kala rode for SUP. That's awesome.

I've never tried it but I certainly would. I think my kids would enjoy being paddled around.

Yesterday the neighbor kids were outside with their skateboards and the 6th grade boy told me that the little wheels on my skateboard are what made it so hard to ride up and down the sidewalk. I push that skateboard and it only goes a few feet before stopping. So he let me try his, with the big soft wheels. One push took me all the way to the end of the block. I couldn't beleive it! So much easier. He says my little wheels are more for like doing tricks or skate parks.

Lessons learned. he also showed me how he stands on his skateboard. He is my new skateboarding coach.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Apparently it's all about the wheels, and the reinvention thereof.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Gary said:

Yesterday the neighbor kids were outside with their skateboards and the 6th grade boy told me that the little wheels on my skateboard are what made it so hard to ride up and down the sidewalk. I push that skateboard and it only goes a few feet before stopping. So he let me try his, with the big soft wheels. One push took me all the way to the end of the block. I couldn't beleive it! So much easier. He says my little wheels are more for like doing tricks or skate parks.

Cruiser wheels are where it's at if you're just riding for transportation. Easier, smoother and handle cracks and gravel and stuff better. I have these on my board (even if my kids use it more than me these days).
    http://www.skatewarehouse.com/Ricta_Clouds_78a_Wheels/descpage-RICLOWH.html

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I went to the skateboard shop yesterday and they recomended some butterbals and new bearings. The wheels where big so he said I should get a riser so that when I turn the board doesn't make contact with the wheels, resulting the the board suddenly stopping while my body continues forward. But he didn't press me on it so I figured it didn't really matter.

I took it home and today I am sore from flying off the skateboard. Looks like I'll need those risers after all.