Smashing Pumpkins - Yay or Nay?

1235»

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Trying to think what I was listening to at 12. It would have been 1983-1984.

Thriller
    Candy Girl
    Electric Avenue
    Combat Rock
    Pyromania
    Shout at the Devil
    Zebra

Shoot, I still ride for all of that stuff, even Zebra.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Frank said:

Soundgarden to me sound like an inept low rent version of Led Zep while Pearl Jam (I have to go dis-infect my hands after typing their name) would be their involuntary parody.

I'm just glad that you didn't drop the "J" song.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Trying to think what I was listening to at 12. It would have been 1983-1984.

Thriller
    Candy Girl
    Electric Avenue
    Combat Rock
    Pyromania
    Shout at the Devil
    Zebra

I'm sayin! 12-16 is coming of age time. For most people, that sets up their whole style/outlook for most of their 20s. And even when you "grow up" in your thirties and try to figure out what adulthood really means, that nostalgia music will never seem to get old.

Whoever said every genre has a few good years until big business comes in to capitalize on it was bang on. That time span is probably shortened to a few months today?

• PlantweedPlantweed 394 Posts
    Evenflow
    On the road, my porta-potty
    Even go
    I make and then they takin' away
    Sunday's best
    Got a stain on my black dress
    Yeah!

• SaracenusSaracenus 671 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    My favorite band from that era: Screaming Trees.

I was a huge fan of this band. Then again I am a sucker for Mark Lanegan's whiskey soaked, crushed gravel voice.

Back on point, I was at the Portland Underground show December 22, 1991. I don't know about the rest of the tour, but that show was amazing (aside from the annoying frat boy fueled mosh pit). Portland was on the tail end of the Gish tour and the band and audience connected and when it was all done everyone was sweat soaked and wrung out. Everyone wanted more but the band had run out of songs to play. It was a great show.

Today? I still have the fist two albums but I really haven't brought them out in a while. Are they an era defining band? Hell no. Are the deserving of the hate, Billy's pretensions aside, nope. I wouldn't kick them off the radio (or Pandora) but I wouldn't seek them out. That show though, it was a stand out for me.

• devoglamdevoglam 143 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:
    i ride for Gish and Siamese Dream. Some of the cuts on Mellon Collie are good, but the rest of the catalog is not celebrated by me.

Agree with this 100%

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    srsly a well-placed "today is the great-est, dayI'veeverknownnn" in the right voice can really break the ice, guys.

For that, Smashing Pumpkins was worth it.

That ol-timey parasol ur-steampunk missile-in-the-moon-guy's-eye video though, F that whole thing.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    I'm just stunned this band could sustain this long a conversation, both in thread length and amount of days this has dominated the board.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    gareth said:
    I'm just stunned this band could sustain this long a conversation, both in thread length and amount of days this has dominated the board.

Indeed, this was a great thread - one that felt like it was coming to life in the crusty crowd at the Television show last week at the Cabaret Metro, a club where Smashing Pumpkins cut their teeth #fullcircle?

Incidentally, Billy Corgan has gone on to dabble in professional wrestling and runs a tea shop-cum-concert venue in a well-to-do Chicago suburb. He's like the (fellow area resident) Vince Vaughn of alt rock - his once mostly heralded early works are being re-examined in the context of his bloated present form.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    gareth said:
    crusty crowd at the Television show last week

ha! I just saw them this past weekend. It was a good show, but man, it's been a long time since I've been in a room with that demographic. I had to move twice to get away from 50-something blow-hards' non-stop non-clever talking. Stiffest crowd in ages, I actually forgot how lame these types of rock shows can be.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    So what have we learned?
    People love the music they loved when they were young.
    In rock music, attitude, authenticity and angst/anger trump musicianship/songwriting.
    People want other people to hate/love what they hate/love.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    white_tea said:
    gareth said:
    crusty crowd at the Television show last week

ha! I just saw them this past weekend. It was a good show, but man, it's been a long time since I've been in a room with that demographic. I had to move twice to get away from 50-something blow-hards' non-stop non-clever talking. Stiffest crowd in ages, I actually forgot how lame these types of rock shows can be.
    I saw the Pixies a while back the crowd was very similar. One of the most annoying audiences I've ever been a party to. Some brought their 5 year olds. WTF

SP have about 10-12 songs that I find to be brilliant and timeless. The rest is forgettable. Billy seems like a dick.

Anything Vedder related can GTFOOHWTBS. I can't stand that dude.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    my older sister put me onto this and other grunge era bands..ive stuck with nothing but nirvana but i remerber liking the artsyness of it
    all band memebers lacked personality however

and also

this
    http://www.spin.com/articles/billy-corgan-siddhartha-jam-stream-eight-hour-live/

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    bassie said:

It was the crustiest crowd, perhaps, ever for me. Crustier than a "classic" rock show. Been thinking about it and it seems as if that maybe because Television wasn't a huge chart draw that the fan base was underground and therefore stayed underground? Lots of bowl-style haircuts and at least one Superchunk T-shirt. Also, the male/female ratio was even worse than the weekly drum 'n' bass shows I used to hit up in the early 2000s. It was an odd scene. Verlaine's vocals were way down in the mix and rightly so while the current iteration of the group noodled more than I expected. I was going to take a picture of Television - Sold Out on the marquee (get it?) but was too depressed. Still glad I went! Although we passed on the afterparty in the same venue and went elsewhere.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    So much hate from the pumpkin smashers... Sure Corgan's a whining weirdo but wt f, Siamese Dream sounded like nothing else when it came out and it made a heavy impression. Well recorded too. ICan't say any of their other stuff grabbed me like that one. From that era there was lot's other amazing stuff that got lot's of listens: Mogwai, Pavement, Sebadoh, Dinosaur Jr., Guided by Voices (sucked live...so drunk), Veruca Salt, Mathew Sweet.... blah blah blah guess we all dig the music of our teens as someone else already pointed out. Must have to do with our latent frontal lobe development.