WAIT WAIT WAIT vinyl records--remember those???

dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
edited May 2014 in Strut Central
Record bar to open in my neighborhood.

Will ASCAP show up before the money runs out? Can you really play entire album sides for smartphone babies? Would you want to?

The restaurant/bar scene is full of shit, always, but comeonbrowtfsrsly

I have an idea, it's like, like a coffeeshop right? And we'll go for an early 90s Mission vibe right? And we'll sell coffee to the people in the neighborhood and what we'll have is some speakers right and they'll be hooked up to a record player and we will call it THE COFFEE SHOP and oh wait that was just a coffee shop my friend ran in the Mission in the early 90s and I guess it was just a coffee shop and that's how coffee shops always were nevermind

Gumbo and Zep?

I'm gonna go opening day and order off the secret menu: I'll take some tortilla chips with bean dip onna stoark reality, ANIMAL STYLE RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

honestly though isn't the searchable online database (the contents of which is brrrzzzzzzz wtf) pushing it for the lawyers? That's still a thing, right?

Also, extra note: this appears to be a part of little bar complex zone that used to be the location of Fallout, the mainest punk skate comic shop of my youth. It's super weird.

I keep looking around for everyone to pause and break into laughter. The entire world is bullshit upon bullshit right now.

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I used to shop at Fallout. Really liked the original owners. One of them went to work for Musak. I was buying African records and hip hop in the mid 80s, even though they were primarily punk/local, they always had good stuff in other genres.

This looks like a bar with a record player and a bunch of records from their granddad's collection.

There was a very successful Portland bar/record store called Hall of Records. DJ/breaks oriented. It became too much of a late night bar for the owners and they moved on.
    There was/is a coffee shop/tavern/record store once called The Record Room and now called Turn Turn Turn. Hipster oriented.

A bar that has a record player? I imagine that is every other bar in hipster Portland, but I don't go out much.

Any way, these guys need to quit flossing their Elton John and Statler Bros records.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    In the 80s, at night, right in that neighborhood, I used to walk past 2 very busy bars about a block apart.
    The first had a lot of guys in motorcycle leather going in and out.
    The second had a lot of Harleys parked out front.
    I never paid either much attention, but eventually I noticed the leather bar didn't have any bikes parked in front, and the only people in the biker bar were women.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Bar in my neighborhood is offering "You bring the records, we'll play them for you."

:weaksauce: :cry: :icegrill: :f-u: :liljohn:

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    There used to be a bar/coffeeshop/furniture/record store all in one in Brooklyn a once hot spot along the F line.

I forget the area.

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    batmon said:
    There used to be a bar/coffeeshop/furniture/record store all in one in Brooklyn a once hot spot along the F line.

I forget the area.

Halcyon. Boerum Hill. They moved to DUMBO and got rid of the coffe shop/bar/furniture and focused on records only.

http://halcyontheshop.com/pages/about-us

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    prof_rockwell said:
    batmon said:

I forget the area.

Halcyon. Boerum Hill. They moved to DUMBO and got rid of the coffe shop/bar/furniture and focused on records only.

"hot spot", please...
    hot like dead hobo feet... that piece of shit place was the first of many pretentious bullshit places to ruin my old neighborhood. First telltale sign of a tidal wave of shit to roll in.

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts
    That's Cap Hill though, hipsters and bullshit gimmics.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Dawhud said:

I was on Wyckoff bet. Smith & Hoyt which def. is Boerum Hill. That shit coffee shop was a couple blocks South on Smith so maybe not Boerum Hill proper.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    gareth said:
    Bar in my neighborhood is offering "You bring the records, we'll play them for you."

:weaksauce: :cry: :icegrill: :f-u: :liljohn:

Yeah, man. There is one in my lil city, as well. Fuck that...

If I ever bought a beer at a place that celebrated the idea of playing the entire album end-to-end...I'd bring whatever Wu-Tang solo LP had the longest most ridiculous interludes just to watch shit get awkward when they played....

This one comes to mind:

Frank said:
    prof_rockwell said:
    batmon said:

I forget the area.

"hot spot", please...
    hot like dead hobo feet... that piece of shit place was the first of many pretentious bullshit places to ruin my old neighborhood. First telltale sign of a tidal wave of shit to roll in.

Yeah Smtih Street was gettin traffic back then. Oh well.

• Frank said:

"hot spot", please...

Somebody probably said that about you when you were there and so on and so on all the way back to the Native Americans.
    Just sayin'.

Frank said:
    Dawhud said:

I was on Wyckoff bet. Smith & Hoyt which def. is Boerum Hill. That shit coffee shop was a couple blocks South on Smith so maybe not Boerum Hill proper.

Carroll Gardens?

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    batmon said:
    Frank said:
    Dawhud said:

Carroll Gardens?

surely you guys mean BoCoCa.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    SmallAxeRick said:
    Frank said:

"hot spot", please...

Somebody probably said that about you when you were there and so on and so on all the way back to the Native Americans.
    Just sayin'.

It's the old tale of trust fund fueled bullshit stores and garbage fusion restaurants peddling food that should have never been thought up, prepared or eaten by anybody driving out the old places that gave the neighborhood its character. We move in there in '97 when it was all old mom an pop stores, cheap Cuban eateries where you'd get a big plate of delicious food for $5, bodegas offering great and cheap sandwiches etc. then by '99 some bullshit French Jamaican fusion place opened up, the above mentioned Halcyon, shitty boutiques run by homely, cornbread midwestern girls sitting on too much of that old money. Not that I cared much, it was actually a real interesting experience. We moved away in '00 and I kept visiting back every year or so and the speed at which it all went to shit was astonishing. We had paid $750 for a spacious one bedroom. When we moved back to NYC in '08, I looked at an almost identical apt on the same block just for the fun of it and they were asking $2.500. Again, I'm not complaining (we ended up renting a duplex in Park Slope for twice that much) but to me the areas of Brooklyn that still retain some of their original character are very few and far between.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    batmon said:
    Frank said:
    Dawhud said:

Carroll Gardens?

This is Boerum Hill:

Then to the South and Southwest of Boerum Hill there is Carroll Gardens:

If I remember it right, Halcyon was pretty much right on the border.

ppadilha said:

surely you guys mean BoCoCa.

Hahaha!

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    Frank said:
    prof_rockwell said:
    batmon said:

I forget the area.

"hot spot", please...

Hey, we're not that bad. :(

• PlantweedPlantweed 394 Posts
    I still think a record store/bakery might work, demographically. Tough hours, though.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    food and drinks and the general public in the same spot as records sounds like a sticky and stained mess :pasue: waiting to happen.
    I used to get real uptight seeing people flip through records with a coffee in one hand, now it'll be a coffee and crumbly muffin?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    you don't shit where you eat. simple concept.

Back in my wax fiend days i always wished there was a spot that sold records from midnight to morning.

Id be talking records at 3AM with no where to go until 11 the next morning.

What if the late night diner had records?

I have no problem with the meshing of the two games. Food and wax aint no problem to me if its done right.

If Starbuck can sell Kind Of Blue why couldnt a place have a decent stash.

Why couldnt Paycheck make me a Gin and Tonic without the code word!

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Back in Berlin in the early 90s when the fleas there were still on fire I'd regularly go digging after a night out and conduct an early morning crate blitz. Bad part was that on the way home I had to switch lines at Alexanderplatz and go just 2 more stops on the 5 which eventually goes above ground and leads all the way out of town to H├Ânow. I can't count how many times I passed out on that train and woke up out in the countryside.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    hot damn you guys been cool forever!

• MiddleDeanMiddleDean 68 Posts
    Barber Record shop seems like a nice combo

• MiddleDeanMiddleDean 68 Posts

MiddleDean said:

It does seem but im mad skeptical having accumulative dead skin and little hairs near vinyl.
    The maintenance would have to be exceptional to keep that shit out of the air.

All Cassette Boutique

Climate controlled steez!!

:get_on_my_level:

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    MiddleDean said:

Barbers do women's hair where you are?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    There was a semi decent spot in Brighton that did retro clothes, furniture etc, then records in another part and they had a 50s style diner attached, but the diner had a separate entrance. The combination of retro secondhand store & record store is kinda common over here. Always handy when shopping with a girlfriend who's not interested in records.

There was an organic food, hippie type spot that opened up down the road from where I used to live in Bristol. Dude who ran it was mates with Mixmaster Morris iirc, who donated a few shelves of his chud to help the store out, so they had a little corner of records. I never bought anything from there, but they used to also have allnighter house party type parties in the upstairs rooms of the shop which were kinda fun.

batmon said:
    MiddleDean said:

It does seem but im mad skeptical having accumulative dead skin and little hairs near vinyl.
    The maintenance would have to be exceptional to keep that shit out of the air.

omg do u even digg bro

I'm cool with the weird combo stores, but this is a goddamn new biz and I am SUPER angry about it

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

I miss Muzik Hut at the Fayetteville (NC) Flea Market Mall. My dude Bob Smytek had heat for days. I have to also big up The Record Hole (Chapel Hill, NC; RIP to the owner), and Nice Price Books and Reader's Corner in Raleigh, NC. They all had the crazy heat back in late 80s/early 90s.

Peace,

Big Stacks ftom Kakalak